It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans abroad rejecting US citizenship as tax hikes loom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The number of Americans who decided to renounce their citizenship in the second quarter of 2013 increased sixfold the same period in 2012, a number the federal government attributes to strict impending financial disclosure rules.

Source

No taxation without representation?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, one could argue they where represented by their voting absentee ballot which is their right.

It does astound me that the US goes after income earned even if you establish permanent residency outside the US, The government wants its cut of its slav... I mean citizens wages.
edit on 12-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Sounds like the bums would rather leave their country than admit how much they have been cheating on their taxes. No tax hike here, just making the bums show how much they really take in. It's about time they pay their share.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

the tax if any should be payed to the country where they earned it

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Sounds like the bums would rather leave their country than admit how much they have been cheating on their taxes. No tax hike here, just making the bums show how much they really take in. It's about time they pay their share.

People have followed the current tax laws to cheat the government out of whats "owed it" the problem is we allowed them to by law.

They are not breaking the laws, and in fact they followed what we allowed, now that the rules are changing they are doing whats legally allowed to them.

Blame the elected officials who allowed the loop holes in the first place, not those smart enough to do whats legally allowed them.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I can't gin up much sympathy for those wealthy enough to relocate to another country because of the tax rate.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This Government taxes everyone and everything not nailed down and trapped inside the nation, to the point of breaking what the taxes are meant to support. When even THAT isn't enough anymore, they go to taxing the people who don't even live here anymore but hadn't intended to outright denounce citizenship, either. Ex-pat's living abroad.

...and some then blame the ex-pats for not wanting to fill out reams of paperwork to pay tribute to a system they used nothing of for a year, while outside it? Oh what nerve they have to dare complain.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't usually have a lot to say in political forums, but I will here. I think that whatever country the person is living in and earning the wages in, is the country he should be paying taxes to. In this case, if my own work is correct, they are paying taxes to the country they reside in, but the US ALSO wants it's normal share, leaving that person double-taxed, which isn't fair. I can see why they would be mad. I would be too.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Why doesnt the government just set an affordable flat tax?

and then even look at some common sense tax cuts that would help more. Like property taxes should be done away with. You bought your home, why keep paying for it? The money people save there can then be spent on other stuff that is taxed by excise and sales, Like gas, and other goods. Right? Or no?

Maybe then folks wont have to go anywhere.

edit on 12-8-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If you're an American expat overseas the first $95K of your income is tax free, as long as you meet residency requirements, mainly being outside the US for 334 days during 12 month period. You'll pay tax on anything over $95K.

IRS Pub 54: www.irs.gov...

I did it for eight years. A good accountant can save you a lot of $$$. State tax got me though, California doesn't care where you earn your money, it can be on Mars for all they care.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

I did it for eight years. A good accountant can save you a lot of $$$. State tax got me though, California doesn't care where you earn your money, it can be on Mars for all they care.

If you're from Mars and you got an income, we will tax you.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

You misunderstood, I think. The americans turning in their passports were already living overseas- they aren't leaving now because of the new laws!

I have been living outside the US for more than 20 years. I did not leave because I was wealthy- I left with one suitcase of clothes for myself and my son, and nothing else.

I do not vote in the american elections, because I figure I do not have the right, because I will not be effected by the outcome. I do not benefit from any services provided by the US, I do not use their schools, roads, national or neighborhood defense.... so why should I be paying them taxes, instead of the country in which I do use those facilities and services???

I only wanted to keep my nationality because my family is still there, and I guess I'm still hoping to earn enough money to be able to move back someday.

But I too, see that I will have to let go of that dream and say goodbye to my origins! I cannot afford to pay taxes in two countries on my small salary.
edit on 14-8-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RageAgainstFascism

Originally posted by bg_socalif

If you're from Mars and you got an income, we will tax you.

Yep, the state of California will.

The IRS will on anything over $95K.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This thread will be discussed tonight at 10pm Est tonight on Reality Remix.

Join ATS Members SheepSlayer247, Adjensen, NoRegretsEver, Druid42 & Beezer for two hours of their take on threads past and present right here on ATS!

Show thread

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
People have a hard time seeing the truth. Try this:

You live and work in Mr. Smith's Plantation. You are owned by him and you buy all of your goods from him, you pick his cotton, polish his shoes and so on. It's a good life, he takes care of you, protects you from harm, and you get a roof and three squares. At the end of the month he demands a tribute fee of 100 bucks or 15 percent of what you earned from him for the right to live on his plantation.

One day you run away to Mr. Jones' plantation. He charges you less to live there, gives you one day off a month and doesn't require the tribute fee. Mr. Smith demands you still pay him the tribute fee because he still owns you due to the paperwork. Mr. Jones refuses to buy you, so Mr. Smith has a point. You have to pay Mr. Smith or go back to Mr. Smith's.

You live in the US, you pay a tribute fee. One day you move to Brazil, the US demands you still pay them the tribute fee because they still own you, but, you are free to be owned by another country of you like, just fill out the paperwork that says, "I am no longer owned by the US, I am now owned by Brazil and will pay them accordingly." Rule 213: You cannot choose to not be owned, you are either owned by the US, or Brazil, but you must be owned in order to live anywhere on the planet.

Now, are you free?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Good America is better off without them. Let them move to England that way they can learn what paying taxes are really like. They should have been around when we paid 60 to 70 percent tax I could just imagine the crying then. And guess what when we paid higher taxes the country was great people still became wealthy and the middle class boomed. Good thing we cut taxes and sent the economy down the toilet things are so much better now.

new topics

top topics

join