It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are We At War in Yemen?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Ron Paul has an interesting article titled "Why Are We At War in Yemen"? And it raises some interesting questions. With all the recent threats of "terrorist attacks" it seems Yemen is the central hub of activity right now. 8 drone strikes in the past couple weeks.

Here is the article - Why Are We At War in Yemen?

Here is some snips from the article:

Most Americans are probably unaware that over the past two weeks the US has launched at least eight drone attacks in Yemen, in which dozens have been killed. It is the largest US escalation of attacks on Yemen in more than a decade. The US claims that everyone killed was a “suspected militant,” but Yemeni citizens have for a long time been outraged over the number of civilians killed in such strikes. The media has reported that of all those killed in these recent US strikes, only one of the dead was on the terrorist “most wanted” list.

Further down it says -

According to the Administration, the embassy closings were prompted by an NSA-intercepted conference call at which some 20 al-Qaeda leaders discussed attacking the West. Many remain skeptical about this dramatic claim, which was made just as some in Congress were urging greater scrutiny of NSA domestic spying programs.

And this is what confuses me, and will continue to do so..

Resentment over civilian casualties is building up the danger of blowback, which is a legitimate threat to us that is unfortunately largely ignored. Also, the US is sending mixed signals by attacking al-Qaeda in Yemen while supporting al-Qaeda linked rebels fighting in Syria.

We have a heightened security threat from "terrorists" yet we are backing Al-Qaeda in Syria. These times could not be more confusing. Does anyone else have any idea what the hell is going on?

Link
edit on 12-8-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Simple... Two reasons. Yemen poses the greatest and most direct threat to the House of Saud with their lock on power inside the behemoth to the North. If a major uprising came, it would originate out of Yemen, IMO. Bahrain might have been a contender, at one time, but Saudi military forces combined with local thugs has smashed dissent there pretty well flat. '

The other reason need only see a map. Yemen is in a highly strategic position to cause trouble if the people running that nation have trouble in mind. Seeing that sort isn't what comes to power is what it's primarily about, IMO. Yemen's got it's own serious civil war though. We're just shooting targets we think of as opportune from the sidelines and drone attacks from what I have seen.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
NVM

edit on 8/12/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We're just shooting targets we think of as opportune from the sidelines and drone attacks from what I have seen.

You're probably not far off the mark there... but it seems like we are just stirring a hornets nest. Meanwhile, our govt is telling us they are going to get the big bad "Al Qaeda" in places like Yemen, while propping them up in Syria. What a load!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I agree with you, Wrabbit.... too close to shipping lanes for oil, and a next door neighbor to Saudi Arabia with all of its oil infrastructure, makes yemen a place of concern for terrorist attacks

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Lol over the past two weeks? How about over the past two years...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I couldn't agree more. The open and proud support of a deeply Al Qaeda connected force in Syria robbed even people like me of any sane argument to say we aren't being screwed with propaganda from both ends.

It's funny you mention Syria and I hope it's truly worth it to them....because the final bits of glass that busted out of everyone's comfy illusions about America being anything like the good guy are beyond measure.

I applaud your OP in at least reminding people this war is still ongoing and has been for years and years now. I hate to see an enemy nation straddling the approach to the Suez Canal......but is it better that we just keep shooting into it like a kid at a shooting gallery, toying with ducks?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

There is no argument that drones strikes have occurred there for a while now..but in the past couple weeks it has escalated significantly with 8 in the last 2 weeks. Can you imagine if another country was doing this on OUR soil?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by Senduko

There is no argument that drones strikes have occurred there for a while now..but in the past couple weeks it has escalated significantly with 8 in the last 2 weeks. Can you imagine if another country was doing this on OUR soil?

It's not as if we're attacking the government forces. The Yemen government has asked for assistance to fight what they feel is a threat.

This is so typical - how people on ATS twist the facts.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Well I'm glad you have all the answers. Answers are what we need hence the nature of this thread. Perhaps could just share your infinite wisdom with us, rather than throw out insults eh?
But of course, this IS ATS and everyone is a know-it-all with an attitude lately.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The US has been conducting air strikes on strategic targets in Yemen since at least 2009 . I assure you, I was there. Maybe the use of drones there is more recent, but I think that's unlikely. This is really old news.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I meant no offense but it is true that we are cooperating with the government. It's not as though we are at war with Yemen.

I understand that Ron Paul would have you believe we are secretly attacking every country on the planet but it's just not true.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Wow, no-one is debating that we've had activity there for a WHILE. This is about the article in the OP,which is bran new (oops my bad, August 11th 2013, yesterday). The very first paragraph states -

It is the largest US escalation of attacks on Yemen in more than a decade.

Nevermind tho. Mods, shut it down. All the answers are given to this "non-issue" and it's It's OLD NEWS. Back to your regularly scheduled program!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Because the US empire needs to expand.

They want to conquer the middle east, if that hasn't become abundantly clear, they used lies to start the campaign and I am sure the end will be no different.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Piecemeal and sketchy internet info has sort of drawn a very vague picture here.

A month or so ago, I saw where troops who were supposed to be on their way home from war, were rerouted somewhere else.

If my memory serves me correctly, the article read; Families of troops know nothing of their whereabouts for over six months.

Naturally I have no links to back it up.
But I did see it regardless.

I guess now, I finally know where they went.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
obama won the Noble Peace Prize. He's spreading "Peace" one drone strike at a time. Maybe he'll win a second one.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Am I wrong in my understanding that a Nobel Peace Prize can be taken back...?
Now that would be an accomplishment, huh?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

This is so typical - how people on ATS twist the facts.

Wars are based on lies, not facts.

"We cannot understand the world until we appreciate that most leaders are traitors and that mankind is victim of a diabolical conspiracy on an unspeakable scale. It's time we stopped fighting each other and addressed the real enemy." ~ Henry Makow

Satan and his "elite" serial killers orchestrate ALL wars.

My working hypothesis is that most wars/conflicts are orchestrated by this satanic cult. The same people secretly manipulate events on both sides to undermine "all collective forces except our own" and establish world government tyranny (a.k.a. "globalization.") In other words, an Occult Elite is waging war on humanity and we don't even know it. Their goal is: "To wear everyone out by dissension, animosities, feuds, famine, inoculation of diseases, want, until the Gentiles sees no other way of escape except by appeal to our money and our power." [And] "... enable us to absorb without disturbance all the governmental forces of the world and thus form a super-government." How They Control the World

One group and one group alone is responsible for virtually all wars and bloodshed on the face of this planet The Synagogue of Satan

Most wars are engineered by the Illuminati to weaken civilization and create a global police state, the "New World Order." Does a Satanic Cult Rule the World?

Bizarre and incredible as it sounds, humanity has been colonized by a satanic cult called the Illuminati. For over 200 years, they have used Jewish groups and Freemasons to foment war in order to advance their world government tyranny. Their Jewish agents admit it." Source

War is the major way for the EVIL, sinister, insane Illuminati to control humanity. Source

“...this Cabal of Evil has engineered all major conflicts to further their agenda for the total and absolute subjugation of humanity. Source

"Phoenicians were and still are the greatest merchants in the world, but their main cash crop is WAR! The other is HEROIN!" THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN

“HISTORY IS A LIE! ALL WARS ARE STARTED ON PURPOSE! HISTORY IS A LIE

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Lol even the european council got a nobel prize, I think that says it all.

Back on topic, I still believe Yemen is just one big training ground, you know where the CIA trains all'CIAduh forces.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
They want to conquer the middle east, if that hasn't become abundantly clear, they used lies to start the campaign and I am sure the end will be no different.

There is little of interest in the Middle East, apart from oil, and the United States is on the verge of becoming an oil exporter. What is in play there is not simple empire building.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join