It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tips or tricks to working with a chainsaw?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

On bigger branches I will cut underneath about an inch or 2 so when the saw cuts through the top, the branch will fall off not break from the weight. Use heavy ropes when needed. Cut four foot logs they are easier to roll over. Keep a sharp blade, watch your shavings that will pretty much tell you if you need to sharpen or not. Above all else a really good pair of gloves. And like everyone else said keep it out of the dirt.

edit on 14-8-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I was a Lumberjack/Forestry Management for the Duchee Of Needwood way back in the 80's but the tools remain the same Chain Saws, Whackers, Axes and Slashers.... and the 22 Rifle for the Grey Squirrels.
Anyway as for the vibration effects on your bones it's something we all get....only thing to do is to get yourself a nice pair of gloves OR swap out the Chainsaw for something more manly like an Axe or a Crosscut Saw, no vibration tingles and when you look back at the felled tree and realise you felled it with a simple axe or Saw

Oh and not forgetting a crew cabin, a pack of cards some beers and a wise old Italian guy to share his wartime stories just in case its raining.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Number one rule, especially if you borrowed the saw from me: Don't effing stick the bar in the dirt while running or ever for that matter.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DreamerOracle

I can only imagine how long it would take me to cut up that fallen tree with an axe...no thanks. I'll stick with the less manly chainsaw thank you very much...

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Been reading. As a few have said take your chain off, take it to a Stihl dealer and have them make you up several pro chains. They make top of the line chain. Dulls much less quickly. Oregon pre cut chain you get a Lowes is very disappointing.

Don't use high test gas. It has a great deal of additives in it that build up inside the saw. Use 98 and always get it from Shell ect. Plus that high test runs to hot. Always use pro oil mix any one of several brands.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Have you considered putting on beers and a BBQ and inviting chainsaw wielding carnivores ?

( Great plan B man ! )

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Some gel fingerless gloves might help you with vibration. Here are some tips that might help...

Always use the chainsaw under your shoulders never above. The lower the better.

If you can afford them. Chainsaw trousers and shoes are good. Do not wear knitted or loose thread clothes. The saw can snag in them and rip right up your body.

Do not use the tip of the saw to cut

Keep both hands on the saw.

Keep the blade sharp.

Be careful of cutting fallen trees. They can do funky things. I have seen trees self righting after being cut down. The weight of the root bowl can lift a tree. If felling a tree the tree can kick back in an unpredictable way. Always pull back from a tree even if it falling away from you
edit on 23-8-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Never ever chainsaw naked.

Trust me on this one.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join