It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish PM Phones, Bush Doesn't Pick Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Somehow I have to laugh at this one....

WASHINGTON � The White House has put out word daily of calls flooding in from around the world to congratulate President Bush (search) on his re-election victory. But somehow, Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero (search) just hasn't been able to get his call past the switchboard.

Meanwhile, Bush met privately on Tuesday at the White House with Spain's former prime minister, Jose Maria Aznar (search), who was a chief Bush ally in the war in Iraq

LINK

[edit on 11-11-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I don't find it funny at all that Bush is ignoring the current Spanish Prime Minister and meeting with the former Prime Minister. What good can come of that?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This will further degrade the image of America on the international scence. Bush is a very arrogant and ignorant man.

Deep

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
That is, Quite franky a stupid thing to do, if the rest of the world can accept that Bush is the leader of the US, then Bush can accept that Jose Luis is the leader of Spain and not Jose Maria Aznar.

It'd be like Spain consulting Bill Clinton, whist ignoring Bush... and then the US would be the one's moaning and complaining

[edit on 11-11-2004 by cheesegoduk]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Maybe you all are reading a lot more into it than there really is. Do we know what they were discussing?

Where were the cries of "This will further degrade the image of America on the international scence" when foreign leaders were supposedly meeting with Kerry and not Bush prior to the election?

The two men are friends. Aznar stood up to terrorism and was an ally when we needed him. Maybe Bush was extending his personal thanks. Or maybe they were discussing Spanish wine or Texas BBQ ribs.

Don't jump the gun, people, or condemn the man before you have all the facts.

:shk:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I agree with jsobecky.

How do you know he refused the call? Bush is a busy man. I think you anti-bush people are waiting to jump at Bush for anything you ever hear about him.

JAK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusSage
I think you anti-bush people are waiting to jump at Bush for anything you ever hear about him.

Do you really believe that edsinger only meant to point out how busy Bush is?

Originally posted by edsinger

Spanish PM Phones, Bush Doesn't Pick Up

Somehow I have to laugh at this one....

The initial post was penned with a suggestion that this 'snub' was intentional and funny.

DON'T jump on those who then respond to that.

Jack

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Don't jump the gun, people, or condemn the man before you have all the facts.

:shk:

The article said this:

The White House explanation signaled something of a cold shoulder toward the Spanish leader, who angered the administration by withdrawing troops from Iraq just after taking office in April.

People are going to be quick to jump the gun and condemn him no matter what he does. That's why when the Spanish PM wants to talk to him (troops in Iraq or not), he should try to connect - or at least acknowledge that he called. The President is a busy man, but five minutes to keep the world from having further fodder to indignantly stick their noses up at him and the US is essential for him to regain any kind of credibility he can. And by no means am I suggesting he bow to international pressure on many things, but he really does need to tread lightly.

I thought it was pretty obvious that edsinger posted this in a screw you Spain tone.

Edit: Added bold text.

[edit on (11/11/0404 by PistolPete]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I fully agree that EdSinger posted it with just that in mind.

As for how busy Bush is, This covers it!

Maybe all the rest of us Americans and all other nations should just go back to running everything past Jimmy Carter as it looks like he really was the last, best President we had.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I agree that Bush should have talked to Zapatero; we'll never move ahead if we hold a grudge and refuse to talk. That part could have been handled more diplomatically.

The two incidents didn't coincide, tho.

And Zapatero did let us down.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well of course I posted it with the "snub" Spainish PM in mind [emphysis mine]. I have nothing against the Spainish people, they just cowered under the terrorist attack, exactly gave the terrorists what they wanted, thats all. I dont dislike them for it, but the new PM, used the bombing to his advantage, or at least he governments handling of it. I personally didnt think it was ALQaeda at first either.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ok, so now we hate France ... and Spain?

our list of allies grows thin...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well of course I posted it with the "snub" Spainish PM in mind [emphysis mine]. I have nothing against the Spainish people, they just cowered under the terrorist attack, exactly gave the terrorists what they wanted, thats all. I dont dislike them for it, but the new PM, used the bombing to his advantage, or at least he governments handling of it. I personally didnt think it was ALQaeda at first either.

a) It's spelled emphasis.

b) They didn't cower. The vast majority of Spaniards was against the war, always. So the people has spoken. They voted against the illegal and immoral war, which previous PM, cowering to the US, dragged them into.

c) Bush refusing to talk to a foreign PM is like a a spoilt brat. Or moron, or both.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Thanks Chuck.

To amplify Bush's busy-ness and priorities over decent international relations:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Diplomatic protocol will mandate the actions of the Administration. Why don't some of you diplomatic and foreign policy geniuses write the President with your recommendations? I recommend that all of you correspond regularly with your leaders. I do.

[edit on 04/11/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Why don't some of you diplomatic and foreign policy geniuses write the President with your recommendations?

Because it'd be an exercise in futility, with this Prez.

Spanish PM was calling and he didn't pick up, so much for a muchacho from Bronx calling the prez...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Mr. Bush is like a three year old with a temper tantrum, if you don't play with me the way I tell you I will will stop being your friend for ever.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So Grady, why don't you give us all a lesson on diplomatic protocol and tell us the proper way to snub a leader.

I agree that they're two unrelated incidents - but they're unrelated incidents that he needs to avoid people being able to relate.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
So Grady, why don't you give us all a lesson on diplomatic protocol and tell us the proper way to snub a leader.

I may be the only one here who does not claim expertise he does not possess. There is not enough information given to pass judgement on this incident and even if the President does choose to snub the Prime Spaniard, I would be willing to guess that protocol addresses this situation. The President, in all probability has the discretion to priortize his agenda to his own conveniece, to wit:

"I think that may be the case, that he has tried to reach out," Bush press secretary Scott McClellan said Wednesday. "Calls are scheduled at times that are mutually convenient. Some calls are able to be scheduled quicker than others."

www.foxnews.com...

The President is under no obligation to kiss the Spaniard's behind, I would presume.

[edit on 04/11/11 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join