It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder proposes changes in criminal justice system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

While I liked the snippet presented in your post, I can't take anything Holder says seriously. He's a racist crook. Hopefully though, what he said will come to pass sooner or later. And while we're at it, why not start enforcing laws that go beyond us peons? Like big businesses that get away with financial murder?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Because we cannot make excessive campaign donations to get them re-elected.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

You had to know after Obama's speech on reducing the amount of punishment for black kids in schools that this was the next step.........................they just haven't attached a skin color to Holders suggestion yet............wait for it.

edit on 12-8-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Fox

African-Americans and Hispanics likely would benefit the most from a change. African-Americans account for about 30 percent of federal drug convictions each year and Hispanics account for 40 percent, according to Marc Mauer, executive director of the Sentencing Project, a non-profit group involved in research and policy reform of the criminal justice system.
If state policymakers were to adopt similar policies, the impact of changes at the state level could be even broader, said Mauer. Currently, about 225,000 state prisoners are incarcerated for drug offenses, according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.
Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Yea, this is about pot. It makes sense when you think about the current polls showing American's relaxed attitudes towards the drug as well as current legalization efforts that have succeeded in Washington and Colorado. Factor in the likely use of farm subsidies to grow the plant, the economic impact of openly selling the drug and the inevitable backlash from those imprisoned for Marijuana related crimes. All of this combined with recent statistics showing the disproportionate amount of minorities arrested on drug related crimes and you get your basic answer.

They want to legalize it, they want to tax it and they want to profit from it.

It's time.

Smoke happy America.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

On May 7, 2011 The United States Sentencing Commission released some surprisingly unsurprising statistics. According to the commission, we’re locking up far too many Latinos because of immigration crimes.

They always have an angle and some think Holder is doing this out of the goodness of his hearts.

Know what party we have to thank for 3 strikes and your out ?

Holders.
edit on 12-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest of the country, but Proposition 36 in California is meant to remove non violent offenders from the "Three Strikes" rule and was approved last year.
Prop 36 in CA

Proposition 36:
Revises the three strikes law to impose life sentence only when the new felony conviction is "serious or violent".
Authorizes re-sentencing for offenders currently serving life sentences if their third strike conviction was not serious or violent and if the judge determines that the re-sentence does not pose unreasonable risk to public safety.
Continues to impose a life sentence penalty if the third strike conviction was for "certain non-serious, non-violent sex or drug offenses or involved firearm possession".
Maintains the life sentence penalty for felons with "non-serious, non-violent third strike if prior convictions were for rape, murder, or child molestation."

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
I don't agree with the attorney general very often but, this is a step in the right direction. A fresh outlook and less burdensome penal code, especially for non violent drug related crimes, will help too unravel decades of injustice and inequality.

Source

In remarks prepared for delivery to the American Bar Association in San Francisco, Holder also favors diverting people convicted of low-level offenses to drug treatment and community service programs and expanding a prison program to allow for release of some elderly, non-violent offenders.

I do think there is an agenda here. In the past 10=15 yrs, since pain has become a vital sign of sorts in ER's across the country, we have many more people who have become addicted to their pain medications. So that, even after patients are taken off of their medication-some still have the desire to take the meds at any cost. Because of this a whole new type of jobs are opening up in REHABILITATION centers (in large quantity) across the country.

Many politicians have an interest in these type of facilities, as well as testing facilities (to test for drugs in patients and those on probation). These are very profitable businesses and are growing at a fast pace--everywhere.

Not only can the Gov't take pride in this new job growth, but they can profit from it as well. But that's just my thoughts on the OP.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
throw the dog a bone, meanwhile....

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Saying that you're a libertarian while saying someone else's personal choice is stupid is contradictive of libertarian beliefs. So maybe just say "I believe the people have the right to choose their lifestyles, unless they disagree with me, in which case they're stupid."

edit on 13-8-2013 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
talk is cheap

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well there is the rub, lets release all these drug offenders into a market where there are already no jobs, with their record they will not be able to get a job...place them in housing so they can go back to using and selling drugs...IMHO they are better off in prison off the streets away from my family and friends.

Now for first time offenders whom have never spent a day in prison, lets send them to rehab centers unless they are dealers...

Its a tough call either way...you want to further degrade society...let them loose as they are useless (majority of them)

Sniper

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0317

Actually, my daughter is a ER nurse in one of the local hospitals in my majority welfare neck of the woods, she gets sick and tired of the burden that takes over the ERs around here, most of the people are not truly emergency but "habitual" this is the tag for those that comes into the ERs every week looking for specific drugs like pain killers, they even ask for particular ones and they have to be on IVs.

My daughter said that they are the ones that screams the most, curse the most and guess what, hospitals are feeding this "habitual" drug habits, because no ER patient can be denied care.
even if is for drug related problems.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It may be only lip service, but I haven't heard talk this big since the 2008 election. Of course what Holder is saying is true, but I don't know if I can believe the administration means it. The question I asked myself wasn't answered. Holder didn't say if this would be retroactive. If it's not, this would seem to me more likely lip service. I kept wondering what either party would say to restore faith.

This article attempts to demonstrate how Holder is allowing the status quo while giving the appearance of change.
Not Enough

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I think that people that use drugs for recreation are stupid. (just my opinion)

I take it you are a non-drinker then? Even a beer now and then is a social/recreational activity. Alcohol is the gateway into accepting recreational drug use as a natural and accepted way of life. Congrats on being above all that.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I remember back when mandatory minimums and sentencing guidelines were being pushed as a way to ensure "equality" in the system.

More of that "equal in chains" mentality that Americans love so much.

Talk is cheap Holder.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The only change that I want is Holder out of the Criminal Justice System.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This news following on the heels of reports that the NSA, DEA and local law enforcement are collaborating to build cases against drug-related persons of interest.

Is Holder looking out for the little guy? Or does the State want a cut of the prison-industrial complexes pie? Seems like a "duh" question to me, but maybe Holder woke up one morning and had regard for human life. After all, politicians are having changes of heart all the time. ALL the time.
edit on 13-8-2013 by Samtzurr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Its a farce, Holder is a bubble head and belongs in prison.
Beyond the cheap ploy to get votes, look at the negatives of it and how it will impact YOU.
We legalize drug use and get a society with even more drugged out losers running amok. Hooray.
We'll need more cops and lose the right to protect ourselves which is what they want. Idiot drug users and petty criminals spawning crime means more cops and more invasive spying on citizens to " protect them". More cops means spending more. How is that saving money from spending less to incarcerate criminals? I'd rather have them locked up and away from me than having them near me and needing more cops to deal with them in a revolving door legal syetem. Prison guards NEVER gave me a speeding ticket or knocked on my door in the middle of the night.
Drugged out losers on the dole or in the workplace will be a drag on the economy. Actually I can tolerate druggies, they're only as annoying as drunks. But drug dealers are lazy slobs. And yeah, what about drug users that cause car accidents? Again, Holder is a moron. Criminally stupid. And corrupt.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
What this tells me is that the Prison Industrial Comples has expanded into Rehabilitative Services and we will soon have a Rehabilitative branch of the Prison Industrial Comples soon enough. Expanding to include the elderly and those who have "low level crimes". Anything to "tag" people (no.. not meaning chipped) and increase debt loads on people who smoke a little weed and those elderly that are gearing up to draw entitlements.

You can bet that these new expansions will be a money boon for those "for profit" rehab services who will bill... yes, the federal government not unlike Medicare/Medicaide and other services.

To me it is all about robbing the taxpayer to pay the "for profit" industries that we all know and love so much.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I don't believe a word coming out of Holder's mouth or Obama's mouth. This talk is just lip service, and there must be some political agenda being advanced. Maybe just changing the subject from NSA talk, or maybe trying to make them appear compassionate, but whatever it is, I doubt his sincerity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join