It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder proposes changes in criminal justice system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I don't agree with the attorney general very often but, this is a step in the right direction. A fresh outlook and less burdensome penal code, especially for non violent drug related crimes, will help too unravel decades of injustice and inequality.

Source

In remarks prepared for delivery to the American Bar Association in San Francisco, Holder also favors diverting people convicted of low-level offenses to drug treatment and community service programs and expanding a prison program to allow for release of some elderly, non-violent offenders.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

"Holder proposes changes in criminal justice system"
What? To make it more criminal than it already is?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I am just going to assume he is talking about Marijuana.....

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
I am just going to assume he is talking about Marijuana.....

banking.

wouldn't it be nice if he actually used any laws to arrest the banksters for a change, trade in the bankers for the weed smokers, sounds like a decent deal to me. at least the weed smokers don't bother anyone where the bankers bother everyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
How does Holder feel about Big Banks laundering money for Mexican Cartels & terrorist groups?

We'll see if the Fed is serious about slowing the conviction of non violent drug offenders but I don't believe a word that man says. Big Prisons is big bizness & they need the Fed to continue enforcing ridiculous laws.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think that people that use drugs for recreation are stupid. (just my opinion)

As a libertarian, I think that they should have the right to be stupid, as long as it doesn't affect me. Why spend all that money incarcerating people for something that hurts no one else?
edit on 12-8-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The timing makes sense. With midterms coming up and immigration legislation stalled, maybe this is their 'plan B' to get more government dependent voters quickly.

If he starts promising them shovel ready jobs I'll start to worry!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Daedal

The timing makes sense. With midterms coming up and immigration legislation stalled, maybe this is their 'plan B' to get more government dependent voters quickly.

would you consider the harvesting of hemp to be "shovel ready" then?

sorry, had to do it.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

would you consider the harvesting of hemp to be "shovel ready" then?

In this day and age, Obama or Holder might ask congress for funding to start a jobs program for these drug offenders after their release. We laugh now but 'government hemp harvester' might become an official job title in this program at some point.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Holder is a POS, but I totally support this.

Let the harmless drug offenders out, and put bankers and politicians in.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Do not be fooled by the "generosity" of this corrupted political rat.

This is just another attempt to help get a bulk of the majority of Federal inmates that happen to be Mostly illegal immigrants latinos out of jail to get ready for the massive amnesty that Obama is pushing in congress, while the rest of the nation and mostly African Americans will still be filling jails houses across the nation with high unemployment and poverty for them and not rehabilitation the butt kissing politicians are working on the jobs for the illegal immigrants that will become Americans soon, now the jail birds

Majority of recent federal inmates are Latino

On May 7, 2011 The United States Sentencing Commission released some surprisingly unsurprising statistics. According to the commission, we’re locking up far too many Latinos because of immigration crimes. Almost half of all federal felony convictions come from Latinos now, with 16% of the prison population being Latino. Many would argue that the convictions would be drug or violence related, but studies show now that that’s not the case. In 1991, 60% of Latinos convicted of federal offenses were put away for drug related crimes and 20% were put away for immigration related crimes. Now, that number is nearly reversed, with 37% being drug crimes and 48% being immigration crimes.

There are so many convictions because of speedy hearings where immigrants are tried and convicted en masse. They simply plead guilty and are immediately placed in prison. Thousands are being placed in prison each year because of this process.

All these incarcerations lead to prison overcrowding, and at a time where California currently has to release over 30,000 inmates elsewhere due to overcrowded prisons, the last thing we need right now is to be locking up more people as speedily as possible, which is exactly what these immigration hearings are doing. Rushing the judicial process like this is a violation of their constitutional rights, something that these judges conveniently overlook.

Is a rat is a rat and smell like a rat.

I wonder why is considered a violation of rights of illegals when jailed for crimes in the US I thought that illegals were braking the law to begin with when illegally in the country.

friendsofjustice.wordpress.com...

edit on 12-8-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Daedal

More like shovel-ready bull----. Whatever this administration says, you can be sure it fits an agenda for a wider attack against civil liberties. Maybe something along the lines of what marg points out above; maybe something more sinister like making more room for political prisoners.

We'll know soon enough. It's not usually very long between the announcement of the agenda and the exposure of their lies....

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
WOW! Eric Holder said this?! Immediately, this triggers my what's-the-agenda sense, but it just might be that the allowance of more "criminals" in society will have unforeseen-to-the-agenda side effects that could benefit those against it, Ultra-Federalism, and elitism. Granted, a massive education and spine insertion process might be necessary for this to have any real effects, but then; I'm a dreamer. Hopefully this attitude is pushed through and a lot more free-thinkers will be allowed to act more freely in the open.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
He'll probably make "Contempt of Congress" and perjury legal. You know, low level non violent crimes. Maybe even withholding evidence and accessory to murder as well.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
For once I agree with Holder, a little any way. People should not spend time in prison for non-violent drug offenses. Going to prison will ruin someone. A good person can go to prison and come out with a criminal mindset.

However I am weary of anything this man and this administration proposes. What will likely happen is those busted for drugs if they can afford it, go to rehab instead of prison while the poor who are busted will still go to prison. That is kind of what goes on right now.

With prisons for profit emerging as a giant industry I feel this proposal is nothing more than an attempt to reach out to the masses. After the mid-term elections it will business as usual.
edit on 12-8-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This will free up a lot of prison space maybe....then we will have room for all those "domestic terrorists they are creating of dissenters to Gov /Policy.
In the Brave New World they are making you will not be encouraged to think......those that persist in this nasty selfish habit will be winnowed out.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In my opinion...

If you do not cause injury to someone.

You should be in your own house eating your own food with your stylish ankle bracelet.

Have to say, this is the first time I have ever agreed with this man.

So instead of my usual complaining....I give him ...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Having read what the attorney general is stating, there are a few things to consider.
While he is correct that they need to change the way the Justice system works, one would say the best place to start is the very laws the govern and determine what is and is not a criminal activity. There are a lot of redundant and laws that no longer are applicable in society today. By removing those laws, reviewing and changing them, would ultimately do much to change the nature of the society that we have. But by keeping them around, it is going to be a big time mess.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
For me personally, it doesn't matter what Holder "proposes" whether it's positive or not. I consider him to be a criminal, a liar and a complete disgrace to the department of justice. Further, In my eyes, anything that he is now doing is illegitimate as the only reason he still holds his office is because of lies and cover ups.

He should be tried and summarily sentenced not applauded. for any reason.
edit on 12-8-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wow, I may actually agree with him this time. Laws that govern a country as diverse as the U.S. must be constructed to avoid a prison complex which we see today. A poor man struggling to survive does not deserve to be roped into the correction system, which today attempts to milk every last dollar when one is on probation for a nonviolent crime. I think it is good when a high status figure takes a stance on such an important matter as this. I agree with the poster who believes that the current system is a result of class instead of criminality or deviance. Humans have been ingesting conscious altering drugs since the dawn of civilization, and you can't put people in dungeons so easily for something so minimal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join