It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington State man arrested for recording Swat Team from the sidewalk.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This seems to be the reason the SWAT team showed up in the first place.

after asking around, I learned the warrant was to search for an item that netted the kid a 3rd Degree Possession of Stolen Property charge, a gross misdemeanor (the same as my charges). First Degree Trafficking in Stolen Property was added to the warrant, because he bought a laptop that turned out to be stolen. He was not there at the time. Unless I'm not looking at the court docs wrong, he's only facing misdemeanor charges, but they may have not been filed yet. Another family member with a CPL was handcuffed in the car for the duration and has the medical documentation about the loss of feeling in his hand because the cuffs were too tight. He was OCing when I talked to him today.]

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Okay, so you are a S.W.A.T. member and your like "Hey i lived through another day now I get go home- kiss my wife. Maybe read to kids.

*Beat my wife. There fixed it for you.

" Then some dude is like "I'm going to film you!" And you roll your eyes cause you know he is gonna upload the video to youtube like a jackass (like he freaking did) and then everyone will know your identity and you don't want that.

At which point you smile to the camera and say "have a nice day sir". Because the only jackass is a person who is out in public, doing public duties thinking he has any right to privacy. In public

So you are like "Dude its illegal to film." And it sounds good so you stick with that.

It sounds good? Let see, it's completely 100% lie but it sounds good so stick with that? Seriously?

And he keeps doing it, even though the incident is already over and there is literally nothing to film.

As is his right to keep doing it. And who cares if "the incident is already over". If there's a cop around there's a high probability that they will shoot a grandma or tazer a puppy just for the kicks.

So you cave in and arrest him which was a stupid move because that was what he wanted and now the video is even more popular!

Stupid move indeed.

Who is the real jackass? They guy who just wants you to stop filming him. Or the guy who is intentionally filming someone in order to illicit a response?

Cop. No competition. Also another fix *guy who is intentionally filming cops to keep them accountable. God knows that cannot be done enough.

Which brings up a good point.

So. The S.'W.A.T member WHO LITERATELY CATCHES CRIMINALS IN ORDER TO PROTECT SOCIETY is more a jackass than the guy WHO INTENTIONALLY ANNOYS COPS FOR NO REASON?

A thug who literally makes crimes appear out of thin air. I'm fixing your quote again. And if he is annoyed by being filmed then how come he is out in the public. How come he part takes in filming people too if it's so annoying?

Are we really going sit here and pretend this fella was doing his duty as a civilian in recording cops and interviewing witnesses? I mean, lets get real. Its not like he took the video and gave it to a freaking lawyer. No. He immediately uploaded to the internet and cried victim for the world.

No need to pretend. He was doing his duty as a citizen. Citizens are only police that police the police.

The proper, non jackass, response when a cop WHO JUST CAUGHT A CRIMINAL IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD asks you to turn off the camera is. "Sure officer, it looks like you guys have things under control and have just removed a criminal from my now safer neighborhood. I will respect your wish to not be filmed and I thank you for the risk you take everyday as a S.W.A.T member."

A proper non jackass response to being filmed in public is to smile to the camera. Also the camera mans proper response is "nope, but thanks for asking". To be more accurate you might add "thank you for raiding wildlife centers and murdering deers. Thank you for tazering grandmas and killing puppies."

It is not. "Ha ha, im filming you because i can and screw your wishes. Even though i am filming literally no action and I am , in fact, performing no service, it is my right to stand here and annoy you."

At least to me anyway.

Sounds like someone hasn't gotten their ticket quote done for the day.

edit on 12/8/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
Okay, so you are a S.W.A.T. member and your like "Hey i lived through another day now I get go home- kiss my wife. Maybe read to kids.

*Beat my wife. There fixed it for you.
Prejudice much? I've dealt with people who thought in the same manner...no one should keep a closed mind.

" Then some dude is like "I'm going to film you!" And you roll your eyes cause you know he is gonna upload the video to youtube like a jackass (like he freaking did) and then everyone will know your identity and you don't want that.

At which point you smile to the camera and say "have a nice day sir". Because the only jackass is a person who is out in public, doing public duties thinking he has any right to privacy. In public
To bend a situation into one of your making is what MSM does. It is just as bad as a dumb cop bending a law in their favor to allow you to be arrested.

So you are like "Dude its illegal to film." And it sounds good so you stick with that.

It sounds good? Let see, it's completely 100% lie but it sounds good so stick with that? Seriously?

And he keeps doing it, even though the incident is already over and there is literally nothing to film.

As is his right to keep doing it. And who cares if "the incident is already over". If there's a cop around there's a high probability that they will shoot a grandma or tazer a puppy just for the kicks.
The cop has the right to be as much of a pest as he is. The cop is still a citizen. At this point, both people are being dumb.

So you cave in and arrest him which was a stupid move because that was what he wanted and now the video is even more popular!

Stupid move indeed.

Who is the real jackass? They guy who just wants you to stop filming him. Or the guy who is intentionally filming someone in order to illicit a response?

Cop. No competition. Also another fix *guy who is intentionally filming cops to keep them accountable. God knows that cannot be done enough.
Both are jackasses. Hope the cop sues him. Bet the NSA says the same thing, 'We need to keep watching our citizens to keep them accountable.'

Which brings up a good point.

So. The S.'W.A.T member WHO LITERATELY CATCHES CRIMINALS IN ORDER TO PROTECT SOCIETY is more a jackass than the guy WHO INTENTIONALLY ANNOYS COPS FOR NO REASON?

A thug who literally makes crimes appear out of thin air. I'm fixing your quote again. And if he is annoyed by being filmed then how come he is out in the public. How come he part takes in filming people too if it's so annoying?

Are we really going sit here and pretend this fella was doing his duty as a civilian in recording cops and interviewing witnesses? I mean, lets get real. Its not like he took the video and gave it to a freaking lawyer. No. He immediately uploaded to the internet and cried victim for the world.

No need to pretend. He was doing his duty as a citizen. Citizens are only police that police the police.
That has got to be the silliest statement ever. Being a J-hole and reporting police violations are not the same. Did the cop break any laws? I don't know, not a lawyer or a judge, but I bet most feel they know all the laws for every state and every country.

The proper, non jackass, response when a cop WHO JUST CAUGHT A CRIMINAL IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD asks you to turn off the camera is. "Sure officer, it looks like you guys have things under control and have just removed a criminal from my now safer neighborhood. I will respect your wish to not be filmed and I thank you for the risk you take everyday as a S.W.A.T member."

A proper non jackass response to being filmed in public is to smile to the camera. Also the camera mans proper response is "nope, but thanks for asking". To be more accurate you might add "thank you for raiding wildlife centers and murdering deers. Thank you for tazering grandmas and killing puppies."

It is not. "Ha ha, im filming you because i can and screw your wishes. Even though i am filming literally no action and I am , in fact, performing no service, it is my right to stand here and annoy you."

At least to me anyway.

Sounds like someone hasn't gotten their ticket quote done for the day.

edit on 12/8/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

Being prejudice towards all cop...sounds like someone might be on a list. Much hatred towards government in general? When we see people refer to cops as the enemy, is when they see us the same.

Edit-When a cop does mess up, blame it on the individual and not generalize them all together. What if cops saw 'us' the same way, when one person beats their spouse that every citizen beats their spouse...etc.
edit on 13-8-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Prejudice much? I've dealt with people who thought in the same manner...no one should keep a closed mind.

There's difference between prejudice and proven track record. Cops are bullies by nature.

To bend a situation into one of your making is what MSM does. It is just as bad as a dumb cop bending a law in their favor to allow you to be arrested.

Difference is that one is a right protected by constitution. Other is a crime. Cops have no authority to interpretate or bend laws.

The cop has the right to be as much of a pest as he is. The cop is still a citizen. At this point, both people are being dumb.

Under color of the law. That's a term. He has no right to "be a pest" when acting in official capacity.

Both are jackasses. Hope the cop sues him. Bet the NSA says the same thing, 'We need to keep watching our citizens to keep them accountable.

Well being a jackass is not a crime. I hope the cop sues him too. That would land the cop in even more trouble. Would serve him right.

That has got to be the silliest statement ever. Being a J-hole and reporting police violations are not the same. Did the cop break any laws? I don't know, not a lawyer or a judge, but I bet most feel they know all the laws for every state and every country.

Silly me
Yes the cop did brake the law. It's been established over and over again that citizens have 100% right to film cops in public. It's pretty simple and most basic rights and not only should cops know it, everyone should know it. Just because the cop is so stupid that he doesn't know a law isn't an excuse when it's his job to know them.

Being prejudice towards all cop...sounds like someone might be on a list. Much hatred towards government in general? When we see people refer to cops as the enemy, is when they see us the same.

Edit-When a cop does mess up, blame it on the individual and not generalize them all together. What if cops saw 'us' the same way, when one person beats their spouse that every citizen beats their spouse...etc.

On the list of the world most awesomest people! Cops have proven time after time again that they are the enemy. They lie, they "bend laws", they murder, they destroy evidence and the list goes on. I would blame it on the individual cop if that was the case. It's always a whole bunch of cops who screw around. That one token good cop of the department is never around.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

There's difference between prejudice and proven track record. Cops are bullies by nature.
People are bullies by nature (fixed). Spoken like a true bleep. Sounds a lot like what white people say about blacks in certain parts of Merika.

Difference is that one is a right protected by constitution. Other is a crime. Cops have no authority to interpretate or bend laws.
Same goes for civilians. They have no authority to interpret or bend laws, they just have to abide by them.

Under color of the law. That's a term. He has no right to "be a pest" when acting in official capacity.
It's not against the law to be a pest, or dumb for that matter. Harassment is another issue. I'm no judge, so whether or not he was and did is beyond me. Every state and county in the USA have their own laws and interpretations.

Both are jackasses. Hope the cop sues him. Bet the NSA says the same thing, 'We need to keep watching our citizens to keep them accountable.

Well being a jackass is not a crime. I hope the cop sues him too. That would land the cop in even more trouble. Would serve him right.

Silly me
Yes the cop did brake the law. It's been established over and over again that citizens have 100% right to film cops in public. It's pretty simple and most basic rights and not only should cops know it, everyone should know it. Just because the cop is so stupid that he doesn't know a law isn't an excuse when it's his job to know them.
Pretty sure Washington is one of the dozen states that make it illegal to record conversations without all party agreement. And I'm pretty sure you can hear the dudes voice. Again, not a lawyer or judge. Wonder what this will get tossed out on. Not knowing every law in every state, there are about 40 states that allow people to record police as long as it doesn't interfere with their duty...but they can still seize the recording device media until it is cleared from being evidence. If you have an iPhone, you'll get it back within 2 weeks. Never tell a cop, 'I got the whole thing on my phone..'

On the list of the world most awesomest people! Cops have proven time after time again that they are the enemy. They lie, they "bend laws", they murder, they destroy evidence and the list goes on. I would blame it on the individual cop if that was the case. It's always a whole bunch of cops who screw around. That one token good cop of the department is never around.
People lie, 'bend laws,' murder, destroy evidence and the list goes on.. That one token good person is never around when you need them. Maybe I have lived a privileged life, but I have yet to run across a bad cop. Ran across one with issues though. Pig pulled me over for passing his slow butt. Proceeded to give me some story about all the people that calls in complaints when they speed for no reason, etc. Didn't get a ticket, but since he took the time to stop me...I called in a complaint. Haven't seen him since. That's how you police the police. Sure, there is no glamour or YouTube 15 mins of fame, but I'm not self conceited and need stuff like that to make my day.

I'm a coward and will call it in.. Kidding, even once walked in a station and filed a complaint against the officer that walked in behind me. He rolled through a stop sign. It was the same stop sign that the cops watched the week before, handing out tickets, all because they knew nobody stops there.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Same goes for civilians. They have no authority to interpret or bend laws, they just have to abide by them.

Yes and to record cops is within the law.

It's not against the law to be a pest, or dumb for that matter. Harassment is another issue. I'm no judge, so whether or not he was and did is beyond me. Every state and county in the USA have their own laws and interpretations.

I'm sorry, I thought the harrasment in the video was the "being a pest" part. And I'm well aware of the different state laws which btw are basically the same regarding this issue.

Pretty sure Washington is one of the dozen states that make it illegal to record conversations without all party agreement. And I'm pretty sure you can hear the dudes voice. Again, not a lawyer or judge. Wonder what this will get tossed out on. Not knowing every law in every state, there are about 40 states that allow people to record police as long as it doesn't interfere with their duty...but they can still seize the recording device media until it is cleared from being evidence. If you have an iPhone, you'll get it back within 2 weeks. Never tell a cop, 'I got the whole thing on my phone..'

It's not illegal if there is no expactation of privacy. It's illegal to covertly record people in some places. Doesn't apply here at all. Also interference by definition implies that the police is unable to do their job, which never applies to recording. Also they need a warrant to seize a camera for evidence.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Some people's law interpretation amazes me. Not saying every LOE, aka pig, knows every law, but I'm pretty sure they can detain a person. Whether or not if that person broke any law or if the cop did will usually be up to a judge or two. Dream big, because your winnings will be enough to pay for part of your kids academic ventures.

I for one don't want to be held in county until the judge can see me. 'But my rights were violated', congratulations, you now have a mark on your background check. You can, and should, sue as it is within your reasonable rights. You can also press criminal charges against the cop. That mark on your background check will be there for a while, even when tossed out of court. If you win against the cop, same for his. He/she will be FUBAR'd from applying to any future job that involves a weapon.

But posting crap on YouTube, hoping to be the next viral video, is very low brow. This video, IMO, was total crap. Most simpletons will gravitate, and agree with, videos like this. Most simpletons will also use this video to fuel their hate for authority.

Has there been any update to what the total outcome was? I didn't click the link that mentioned Alex Jones or his Info wars...that guy only wants to sell ratings. He really doesn't care for the 'people.'

Edit this one didn't seem to have any Alex links. Got my threads crossed. My bad.

edit on 14-8-2013 by ChuckNasty because: no AJ? He seems to be dropping the ball on this stuff.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If you are referring to the man who posted the video then here...

I was handcuffed and told "you are under arrest for obstruction, and taken to hang out with the other gentlemen who were in the house for a while. It may have been around 30 minutes, but time is always screwy when you're in cuffs. I wasn't patted down until they were about to take the cuffs off; I'd taken my gun off right before I left my house as I didn't think it wise to bring.

As far as I know no one was taken to jail, even the guy they had the warrant for and they found what they were looking for.

As it stands right now, I am facing criminal charges of obstruction a law enforcement officer, and have court next week.

He is currently exploring options for a lawsuit.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Use of cuffs is a show of force. He should make out nicely...as long as the judge doesn't find him guilty.

Crooked judges, should be another thread in this forum topic.

edit on 14-8-2013 by ChuckNasty because: word edit topic

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Not worth it

I guess some slaves like being slaves
edit on 14-8-2013 by James1982 because: not worth it

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Recording cops in public is legal.

This cop doesn't know the law.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

He should be brought up on federal charges and serve time in a federal prison for violating this man's rights

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
Sure it is. Every state has the exact same laws.

Hello pot...

He should be brought up on federal charges and serve time in a federal prison for violating this man's rights
So if a judge finds the guy guilty, same goes for him? Yeah, fed prison for being dumb is dumb.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty

Originally posted by XTexan
Sure it is. Every state has the exact same laws.

Hello pot...

So if a judge finds the guy guilty, same goes for him? Yeah, fed prison for being dumb is dumb.

Yes recording the police in public is legal. Protected by the 1st Amendment.

US 7th Circuit Ruling

The USSC refused to hear an appeal which makes it legal precedent.

On top of that, wiretapping laws do not apply in public where there is no expectation of privacy. Anyone can record anyone in public.

So you say the man recording the police was not only illegal but a Federal Crime?

As I said, the cop violated this man's civil rights, which is a Federal Crime, hence Federal Prison.

Dumb cop who violates civil rights belongs in Federal Prison.

Deny Ignorance
edit on 14-8-2013 by XTexan because: Deny Ignorance

edit on 14-8-2013 by XTexan because: Deny Ignorance

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Yes, your armchair legal powers are no match of mine. You need to be on TV with your commercials promoting your law-firms presence...or at least promote the book you wrote on this very subject..

Also by your silly assumptions, the cop has zero rights... Yeah, welcome to MeriKa indeed.

This is/was the reason why our fathers fought for our current freedoms?

This is also why our citizens do the same everyday (cops and soldiers). So keyboard lawyers can speak their minds everyday. Next time you feel the need to dial 911, do it! People like you is the reason why we have such services...

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Some people's law interpretation amazes me. Not saying every LOE, aka pig, knows every law, but I'm pretty sure they can detain a person. Whether or not if that person broke any law or if the cop did will usually be up to a judge or two. Dream big, because your winnings will be enough to pay for part of your kids academic ventures.

Well those some people are the judges at various supreme courts in US. And they absolutely cannot detain any person unless there is at minimum a reasonable suspicion that there is a crime being committed. That has to be based on "specific and articulable facts". There is no such crime as "filming in public" in any place in US.

I for one don't want to be held in county until the judge can see me. 'But my rights were violated', congratulations, you now have a mark on your background check. You can, and should, sue as it is within your reasonable rights. You can also press criminal charges against the cop. That mark on your background check will be there for a while, even when tossed out of court. If you win against the cop, same for his. He/she will be FUBAR'd from applying to any future job that involves a weapon.

If you dont like your rights as much that you would risk a night in county then so be it. You have the right to not to exercise your rights. Also you would be surprised how often a cop in violation of something is fired only to be hired by another department.

But posting crap on YouTube, hoping to be the next viral video, is very low brow. This video, IMO, was total crap. Most simpletons will gravitate, and agree with, videos like this. Most simpletons will also use this video to fuel their hate for authority.

It's not low. The only way cops are even pretented to be held accountable is if there is a risk of public outcry. If it weren't for change of negative PR cops would never get charged with anything.

Has there been any update to what the total outcome was? I didn't click the link that mentioned Alex Jones or his Info wars...that guy only wants to sell ratings. He really doesn't care for the 'people.'

Edit this one didn't seem to have any Alex links. Got my threads crossed. My bad.

edit on 14-8-2013 by ChuckNasty because: no AJ? He seems to be dropping the ball on this stuff.

These things always take time. The system is very slow.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Way off topic, but states have different federal laws they like to enforce. Wasn't and isn't Washington one of the states that permit marijuana within its boundary? Not stating it is bad, but just one of them thangs that people neglect to state when not/doing what the national federal law states... But I digress, you are the more googled than I.

BTW, every state needs to legalize it IMO. There would and will be fewer law infractions across the nation once it happens.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Most examples I stated was one I knew of personally. My wife on the other hand hates cops all outright.

She was the one to get charged with assault only to get the charges dropped. She still gets the dropped charges show up on records. She gets mad and argues all the time about that. She doesn't understand that I saw her beat the tar out of someone and got away with it... I haven't got her pissed since then...
As for the 'hey I have it all on my phone,' thing...yeah. This state, GA, doesn't require a warrant, when a person gives the info willingly... Don't be dumb, never be a know it all. You can submit info later, without the need to mention media contents, with little repercussions.

As for the guy shooting the footage...he should have did it with more smarts. I know I could have gotten more info and not get detained. You need to fake it till you make it. Same would pertain to this.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

something needs to be done about the police state, it is getting out of control. hell, it IS out of control.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

This state, GA, doesn't require a warrant, when a person gives the info willingly... Don't be dumb, never be a know it all. You can submit info later, without the need to mention media contents, with little repercussions.

That's not true. Police absolutely need a warrant in every state to seize cameras. Only one exception excist and that's if there is a reason to believe the evidence is going to be destroyed. Ie. a person filming themselves committing a crime, like a motorcyclist speeding. Cops can seize that but if someone is filming cops and the cops are the ones braking the law there is no reason to believe the footage is going to be deleted -> needs warrant.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

This state, GA, doesn't require a warrant, when a person gives the info willingly... Don't be dumb, never be a know it all. You can submit info later, without the need to mention media contents, with little repercussions.

That's not true. Police absolutely need a warrant in every state to seize cameras.
That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. When people start to apply what they have heard on TV as being a fact....well, that is just crazy.

Only one exception excist and that's if there is a reason to believe the evidence is going to be destroyed. Ie. a person filming themselves committing a crime, like a motorcyclist speeding. Cops can seize that but if someone is filming cops and the cops are the ones braking the law there is no reason to believe the footage is going to be deleted -> needs warrant.
Cops can and will take any footage they feel is evidence. You can even promise on your dead relative grave that you won't destroy evidence and they don't have to believe you. It will be 100% up to them. All they need is probable cause...that's the part where it is up to the cop's thinking and not yours. As I stated before, when you tell a cop, 'Hey, I caught the whole thing on my phone,' your dumb arise just gave them probable cause. (I was the dumb areas BTW). But unlike most of Americans, I have learned and now know better.

So for a person to think they know the laws of every state in the USA, I have no problem calling BS. For a person to think the guy in the video didn't do anything wrong, guess again. His best luck is that a judge doesn't want to deal with a case that has little merit on impacting city functions. Sure those cops will keep on keeping on, but only if a person(s) is(are) arrogant enough to think they know the law outright.

A persons best bet is to have a lawyer and be able to contact that lawyer outside of office hours. The phrase, 'Hold on, I'm going to ask my lawyer about this before I answer you,' will usually make a policeperson rethink their approach and emasculate any domineering thinking they have. No one wants to be sued or unemployed for F#'n up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join