It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Apparently the courts can now tell you what your child's name should be, based solely on the judges religious beliefs. This child is 7-months old and the judge ordered his name changed because his name might cause him problems later in life because the county he lives in has a high Christian population.

It also sounds like it offended her that someone would name their child Messiah. As she put it, "there is only one Messiah..."

NEWPORT, Tenn. - A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV. The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

Nevermind that according to the Social Security Administration, the name Messiah is number 4 on the list of fastest rising baby names.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

Now we aren't even allowed to choose a name of our liking for our children if it offends someone in a position of authority.

www.newsnet5.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So what's next. Is everyone in Tennessee with the name "Jesus" going to have move or is this bigot judge going to demand they change as well?

Maybe the parents should appeal and seek damages. This is obviously going to be traumatic for the child when he discovers he is unworthy of his real name.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
While I would never name a child "Messiah" I do believe that parents have aright to name their child what they choose, and I also believe the judge's ruling is a violation of church and state. That's my 2 pennies.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Is everyone in Tennessee with the name "Jesus" going to have move

I doubt it. Most of them are "undocumented" workers.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Mods, I see there is already a thread on this topic. My bad. Please close this one. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Posted elsewhere, earlier
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join