It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient astronomical calendar discovered in Scotland predates Stonehenge by 6,000 years

page: 1

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Source

A team from the University of Birmingham recently announced an astronomical discovery in Scotland marking the beginnings of recorded time.

Announced last month in the Journal of Internet Archaeology, the Mesolithic monument consists of a series of pits near Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Estimated to date from 8,000 B.C., this 10,000 year old structure would pre-date calendars discovered in the Fertile Crescent region of the Middle East by over 5,000 years.

But this is no ordinary wall calendar.

Originally unearthed by the National Trust for Scotland in 2004, the site is designated as Warren Field near the town of Crathes. It consists of 12 pits in an arc 54 metres long that seem to correspond with 12 lunar months, plus an added correction to bring the calendar back into sync with the solar year on the date of the winter solstice.

A diagram of the Warren Field site, showing the 12 pits (below) and the alignment with the phases of the Moon plus the rising of the winter solstice Sun. Note: the scale should read “0-10 metres.”

I think this site has been talked about before on ATS, but I don't think anything was discussed about this calendar.

It seems we keep discovering stuff that keeps re-writing science all the time. The fact that this was dated to roughly when the last ice age had just finished up is quite telling.

I found this quite interesting and thought I would share it with you all.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
S&F thanks i love this sort of stuff. Really gets my mind wondering.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Again, proving we know nothing about the minds of ancient cultures from years ago.
We keep finding things that blow modern history books out of the water.
Incredible and just amazing to know how much has been hidden from us.

There is a large lunar calender in the state of Ohio, near Circleville that has similar meaning.
But modern progress has literally bulldozed its way right through that ancient site.

Ahhhh progress.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Nice Thread Pred, S&F, Now this is why I joined ATS in The First Place, with video, diagram and a good presentation. This is something The MSM doesn't even bother with, except for a short piece months after the fact. I love this kinds stuff Pred, Keep it up
Namaste Arjunanda.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Please join the existing thread on this subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Again, proving we know nothing about the minds of ancient cultures from years ago.
We keep finding things that blow modern history books out of the water.

Don't be so hard on the history books. There will always be new knowledge to discover. But nothing about this falls out of line with our current perception of ancient people. We have known for a long time now that many religions are rooted in sun worship, and it is naturally the first object humans would have tracked in the sky - if not the moon. So it makes sense that some of the very oldest things/monuments/landsites we will find will be connected to the sun.

But it is always nice to find something new.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Again proving that the ancient Scots were more advanced than most other races on Earth...
Ness of Brogdar, Callanish and now this find (and only 15 miles from my house)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
What fantastic luck to find this astronomical calendar.

I have always felt ever since visiting Stone Henge as a child that there was something vital or special about the measurements these stone monuments to time were been created for.

I don't really buy into the idea that it tells ancient man simply when to plant, when winterr is coming etc. Native people without these monuments have survived all over the world simply knowing by observation etc when the seasons change, what animals breed when, when to plant etc otherwise they wouldn't have survived. The idea is simply too simplistic for people who differ from us purely because they don't have electricity and mechanical transport etc.

I wonder more if these were made to watch the skies and measure time for when comets etc came by and perhaps if the Sumerian tablets are correct if there is another planet which makes a pass close enough to adversely influence our planet.

We know that Venus turns the wrong way, Saturn was tipped on its side etc and we are missing or have, a ring of boulders where a planet once existed. If ancient man was aware of that and had worked out that this was a cycle of time that they could measure and know when to expect this 'visitor' that would make more sense to me, but who knows it will probably always be pure speculation.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Number One Son:-)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

We just visited the site two weeks ago. It was spectacular for sure. One of the topics discussed in the audio tour was about an optical illusion which makes Stonehenge look larger to the person(s) approaching the site than it really is. This is true. When driving up to the site (it was about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away) I commented to my wife "It looks huge!". I made this comment before we heard about this phenomenon.

Now, back to the thread.

I got the impression that Stonehenge was considerably older than the 5,000 year old current belief. I get the impression that it dates back to before 10,000 years. I have nothing scientific to base this on, it's just an internal belief.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
scotland was full of thosr monuments until the late 1700s when england sent troops and destroyed them after a uprising that saw scots troops come 12 miles from london only to give up and go home .

i cannor remember the name of the book i read on this but the north of scotland was full of sites which were destroyed by the duke of cumberland and the stone broken up the only one;s to survive were on islands at callanish and brogar

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Gobekli Tepi (in turkey) is current with this dating as well....and it shows large well worked stone pillars the size of which are deemed beyond the tools of the period given....plus the impression of the achaeologists the whole site was deliberately buried......by its inhabitants before they disappeared into the time stream.....
Those who doubt ancient peoples intelligence, need to re examine their parameters.....
Stonehenge repeated even older on the Scottish islands tends to confirm a long lived civilisation of some sort flourished....perhaps was a predate to the ice age which possibly destroyed it......?.
Europe is dotted with these upthrust stone menhirs?
some in circles etc....Archeo/astronomy is a growing indication that we are not exactly the peak of human
Capability in this age.....That the ancients were far more advanced in their knowledge base than we give them credit for!
Thanks OP more confirmation history has it egocentrically wrong most of the time........

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
That date would put that area under ice in the last ice age? working on the accepted timeline that the last ice age ended, or started to end, ten thousand years ago?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Again proving that the ancient Scots were more advanced

Ha, I have seen your Scotland on TV several times. If these folks were advanced they would have moved to the South of France or something. It looks like all that grows well there is peat bogs. Maybe they were just a group of grumpy sadists who liked to let mother nature torture them?

Tongue firmly planted in cheek if you didn't pick up on that.

V

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Again proving that the ancient Scots were more advanced than most other races on Earth...
Ness of Brogdar, Callanish and now this find (and only 15 miles from my house)

But these would be the pre-Pictish then would they not, and not the Scots? Scot myself, in US... love the idea!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Our family is a unique and special one though, is it not?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
we keep discovering stuff that keeps re-writing science all the time.

The day this stops happening is the day we can all pack up our protractors and go home. Because, at that point, science will become 'religion'.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Wow, amazing. Thanks for the post!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I think the most interesting thing about this is that it could change the ideas about how, from where, and when civilizations advanced. I firmly believe that a LOT of what we think we know about such things is very wrong. For example, the various skulls found all over North and South America, that show many non-Amerind types were here LONG before those people came onto the continent. It's difficult to find a lot of information online, but there is a lot of talk about "hidden", or concealed archaeology; things concealed by various factions because they don't fit some current political agenda.

As for this find; I would love to see a detailed program on the site, with computer models to show how they were able to calculate the dates, and other various details.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Reminds me of the ancient lunar calenders in Knowth, Ireland

Link

new topics

top topics

join