It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D&D Next

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hi, everyone. A while ago I posted this thread asking about Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I went to their website looking for stuff on the game and saw a thing for D&D Next. I clicked the playtest thing thinking what the hell it might be interesting. I'm so glad I did. I got a lot of free material for the game, including: a few mods, bestiaries for some mods, handbook, DM guide, among other stuff. The updated game makes a lot more sense than the book I was trying to figure out. All in all, it seems like a great game. Now, all I need is minis. With those and maybe some game tiles I think I'll be having a very good time- if I can get some victims..um...friends to play along.
Has anyone else played this version of D&D? What are your thoughts on the revisions? Do you find the game play to be easier? I'd like to see your input.
edit on 10-8-2013 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2013 by Skid Mark because: Something went wonky with the formatting.

edit on 10-8-2013 by Skid Mark because: Had to fix a link

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

edit on 10-8-2013 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

I've been helping play test D&D 5 for a while now.

To be perfectly honest, it's complete junk.

It's just 4E with flavor and I hate 4E, there's no challenge to it, it's all just a big video game.

I'm a puritan.

3.5 or nothing IMO.

Mind you I like hard things, I hate easy pen & paper games. They were supposed to be hard, that was the whole point originally. Why bother playing this when I can get Skyrim for the PC and it's virtually the same.

!Tenth
edit on 8/10/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It's just 4E with flavor and I hate 4E, there's no challenge to it, it's all just a big video game.

I'm a puritan.

3.5 or nothing IMO.

Going to have to agree wholeheartedly. I've DM'd through many different versions, and while I own the 4th edition books, none of my group would play it. Also, there's a website that has pretty much you or any other player would need to game....(Google on SRD 3rd Edition). So nobody needs to buy a bunch of books, other than one person having the DM's guide and Player's Handbook.

As for figs, my advice is to look for lots of MageKnight figs online. You'll usually get a LOT of variety for a cheap price. The D&D figs I buy tend to be monsters mostly, as most players will furnish their own character fig.

When looking for a PC fig, I'd recommend Reaper Miniatures or Ral Partha (Google them)...as they do this very well.

It's pretty easy to adapt the fourth edition materials you have to 3rd too. I borrow some things from 4th. But I like the variety, customization, and complexity of 3rd. In 3rd edition, you could have a group of nothing but warriors, and have each one COMPLETELY different if you wanted to.

edit on 12-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I won't play anything past 2nd edition.... 1st edition was good too.... My heart will forever be with 2nd edition and that infamous Tarasque.... Damn thing scares the poop outta me...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Well, anything that takes a WISH to finally kill it, is a bad nasty....

We played 2nd edition for a LONG time, so I see the attraction there....but I like the Feats introduced in 3rd. (and 3rd makes multi-classing WAY harder, so less wacky unbalanced PCs that way...)

Face it, a Cleric/Mage in 2nd edition is pretty much going to roll over any other character of equal level.... Making 2nd edition materials into 3rd is almost a no-brainer, too.....
edit on 12-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join