It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushmaster or S&W?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I've had extensive experience with the Bushmaster. The XM15 model is simply subpar compared to what is on the market today.

You will get fail to extract stoppages.

Go with either the M & P series or Sig.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I appreciate all the replies. The colt is beyond what I want to spend on a rifle that (unless the famed shtf scenario comes about) I will only be using for sport/recreation.
If I can find a good deal on S&W OR, so that a scope doesnt set me back even further, im going to try for it. If not, then Im going to go ahead and get the Sport.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by slednecktx
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Yeah but your AK can't hit a target at 500 meters. The secret to any AR platform is to clean it properly. I'm an ex Marine and never had cared for AK's, they are dependable because they are built loose.

if I am at 500 meters, I'm thinking of avoidance, not confrontation. when the SHTF, those of us NOT militarily trained are going to be at an disadvantage in a lot of other survival areas other than hitting a target at 500 meters

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The folks at Windham were the original makers of the Bushmaster AR's until the Freedom Group bought out Bushmaster and changed things around.

I totally agree...The Bushmasters from the old folks at the old factory were and are good mid-level weapons. I still have a few....There are better rifles for the money today though as several have mentioned already. Another place to possibly find something you are looking for is a web sight called gun broker,,,hundreds or thousands of guns for sale...and sometimes you can come across a real deal...I sold a few weapons there when the panic was at it's peak...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I dont know if i can swing it or not, it mostly depends on whether or not the place I plan on buying at can get them in, since theyll allow me to pay it out.
If so, Im liking the looks of this one, just a plain old mp 15 with the rail on the back, which should allow the option of using a scope or iron sights simultaneously.. Right?

S&W

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

mc

I'm back, don't limit yourself to those 2 choices. Shop around, my buddy just bought a Mossberg AR and he likes it and its the same price that your looking for. Sure the Colt is the best one, but they cost more than my first truck. My favorite one is a High Standard, made here in Texas The one good thing our governor did was make a law that if you bought an "assault" style weapon made in Texas, the Federal government can't take it.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall

I have shot match-grade ammunition and the cheap, smoking Russian made ammunition. The only problem with the Russian ammunition is that it dirties the weapon faster. Having said that, even with a dirty weapon, the Colt AR-15 still continues to perform.

I suppose there would be a time when enough carbon or dirt or residue could build up in the weapon to make it fail to work properly but after shooting mine relentlessly for many years I have not found that point.

A lot of people don't realize that the Russian made stuff is mostly steel cartridge casings.

As a round is fired the interior compression causes the casing to expand and conform to the chamber. Brass will cool and contract a bit but the steel stays expanded so it doesn't allow as much freedom to be extracted as brass.

Keeping the chamber clean is the best way to keep steel rounds from having extraction issues but I find it performs reasonably well overall and very well considering the low price versus brass.

I know a lot of people stress the ability of a rifle to perform while dirty but they get too wrapped up in the idea of never cleaning a weapon and still having performance. I don't remember any time when I couldn't take time to clean my rifle at least once a day, even as an infantryman in combat.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

You are correct, if you read the fine print in the owners guide to all AR style rifles they will void the warranty if you use steel cased ammo.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
You could catch a deer with that and then make beef jerky

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Now that Ive decided what to get, I cant find any in stock

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Don't get that big knife. It's not practical. Just get a cheap small Mora. You can skin a moose with that. You can't skin a moose with that gigantic meat cleaver

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hey guys, for anyone still interested, I got tired of waiting on the Smith to get in stock, so I went with this Del-Ton

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Advise from friends, because i have asked the same,
SnW every time.

Bush master is a decent gun, but for quality and reliability
as well as resale value, the snW holds up better from what
everyone says.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Congrats on your new toy. I just saw the private message but I can't reply to it due to not enough posts yet.

Delton is alright.. Not really worth commenting on it if you already bought it.

I would spend 5 bucks and do the "Crane Mod" on the extractor:
www.bravocompanyusa.com...

I doubt it shipped that way, but you can pull the bolt out and pop the extractor off and check: black oring on the spring means its done already.

That will give a bit more extractor strength and could help with crappy ammo. Overall it can't hurt.

Another thing to check is the staking on the gas key, haven't seem a Del-Ton in a while so not sure if they do that from the factory. Pull the bolt carrier group, and looking at the top the small tube attached to the main body with two screws (called the gas key) should have some "dents" in the surrounding metal into the screw itself. The prevents the screws from backing out on there own from vibration and recoil.

I can find you a guide on doing a staking job without the very awesome MOACKS tool I use (not worth the 100 bucks for one rifle..)

Otherwise enjoy the rifle and get some more mags. I'm a pmag fan.. But there is other good options too if that's not your cup of tea

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join