It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Things Americans Would Know if There Were a "Liberal Media"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
www.alternet.org...

I'll post a few quotes from the above article in a few moments; however, I wanted to clearly state my main purpose in authoring this thread.

Many times I have asked members of this forum to share their news and information aggregate sources. Ones specifically that source and backup their facts and statistics.

I like to read and understand (to the best of my ability) other points of view and as part of that process I like to be able to follow the reasoning and infomation that has informed that point of view.

I loved William Buckley's work, his logic was excellent, easy to follow and well presented. Most of what I can find (hence the request for help) is mostly mimiced talking points without any backup in fact or science whatsoever.

So again, I ask the question - where can I find news and commentary with a right or libertarian spin that backs up it's assertions with source documentation and references that I can actually follow - up on.

I have a few liberalish sites that do a good job and I find upon reading the source material, sometimes I agree with their interpretation and sometimes I don't. But, I'm more likely to respect and pay attention to an author and/or site that makes the effort to back up their work.

On to the actual article:

I've always been confused by this assertion that the Main Streem Meda had a 'liberal' spin. I find most - commercial or profit based media to be anything but conservative and hidebound.

I do believe this is a campaign (deliberate or driven by 'deference to the boss' is immaterial) to create mistrust ofany journalism whatsoever. There are many things just not covered in the media (I speak primarily of the USA media though my understanding is that media in other countries have similar concerns).

Hence the 15 points.

Of which are

1, Where the Jobs are Going
2. Upward wealth redistribution and/or inequality.
3. A.L.E.C.
4. The number of people in prison.
5. The number of black people in prison.
6. U.S. health care costs are the highest in the world.
7. Glass-Steagall.
8. Gerrymandering,
9. The numer of bills blocked by Republicans in Congress
10. The Citizens' United Supreme Court Decision
11. Nixon's Southern Strategy.
12. Tax cuts primarily benefit the wealthy.
13. What's happening to the bees?
14. The impact of temporary workers on our economy
15 Media consolidation.

And I would many more add: Nuclear holocaust; Endless War, GMOs, etc..... please add your own (liberal or conservative)

Let's see if I can imbed (implant, whatever) a couple of the infographics:

It appears that I cannot, can anyone tell me how????? But here are links:

A liberal tilt - yes. But backed up by sources and links to factual material.

So pleae tell me:

1) How is Coroporate owned, Main Stream Media, liberal?
and
2) Good Right/libertarian leaning Sources?

My conclusion, from years of reading, is that liberal/left media encourages it's readers/listeners to check out the facts for themselves and make up their own minds (trusting in logic, reason and a good heart); whereas, conservative (this days any way - in the past the same logic, reason and good heart was assumed as well)/right sources only ask that their readers/listener believe/trust what is told to them on faith alone.

Am I wrong?

edit on 10-8-2013 by FyreByrd because: Spelling and stuff

edit on 10-8-2013 by FyreByrd because: More Stuff

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am going to refer another member to this thread as to the "Liberal" media.

Well done and yes very informative of what the liberal media would be if there was one...
edit on 10-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The media is "liberal" because in the left/right scheme of things, the left is for more government involvement in our lives while the right is for less government (to be overly simple, that is). Main stream media is not really free press, as you may know, but rather there is a lot of government involvement. Its been going on for decades. So its a pro-government media, which makes it a liberal media.

Also, using a source such as Alternet, a progressive site, to argue that there is no liberal media is more than a little ironic.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sine.nomine

Bush created Homeland Security the biggest government growth ever.

Bush made SOCOM Special Forces as big as the USDOD itself now.

And the Intelligence Community has never been as big as it is now. But we can blame the whole government both parties for that.
edit on 10-8-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Very good topic and it points out the word liberal has been hijacked. I've always been a believer in the old saying "just follow the money" and that doesn't mean just reading Bloomberg or the WSJ.

If you want to find out what's really going on (to a degree anyway) following local news seems to provide much more real information.
Example:
The real impact of the EU haircut to Cyprus depositors go to Cyprus Weekly.
What Germany really thinks about NSA spying at home go to Der Spiegel.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sine.nomine
The media is "liberal" because in the left/right scheme of things, the left is for more government involvement in our lives while the right is for less government (to be overly simple, that is). Main stream media is not really free press, as you may know, but rather there is a lot of government involvement. Its been going on for decades. So its a pro-government media, which makes it a liberal media.

Also, using a source such as Alternet, a progressive site, to argue that there is no liberal media is more than a little ironic.

Honey - the left/right paradigm is not that simplistic.

Even if it were, the fact is that BIG BUSINESS not the government control media. Are you implying that the government controls BIG BUSINESS. Nothing could be further from the truth. The fact is that BIG BUSINESS controls government (at least in the good ole US of A).

I didn't use 'Alternet' a liberal (hardly hard left) site to argue anything. I used it as a reference, in looking ideas for references (from other member) with a more right slant.

Please read the actual post.

edit on 10-8-2013 by FyreByrd because: spelling as alwasy

edit on 10-8-2013 by FyreByrd because: I just have to ....

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

the left is for more government involvement in our lives while the right is for less government (to be overly simple, that is). .

This is such a misconception. Left and right are both for more government. The difference is that the left wants more government to achieve socially-conscious goals while the right wants more government to enforce laws promoting wealth disparity and theocratic prejudices.

They are both wrong but I despise the side even more that tells me I'm going to hell and gains voters through cold Satanic Ayn Rand values.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

The reason is because facts have a liberal bias. The right is very passionate and the left isn't. It's logic vs emotion. Compassion vs perceived righteousness.

The liberal slant shown by MSNBC and their peers is almost like a pacifier to keep people from saying that there is no voice for liberal ideology. But you can tell by the things they don't report on that they are simply trying to detract. FOX actually reports right-wing news because that sort of spin doesn't need facts, just anger and fear.

Mainstream liberal media is the biggest enemy to liberal media. It's preaching to the choir in regards to obvious polarizing issues and everything else is sort of ignored.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Jeezeus, let us NOT forget that left and right are TWO WINGS OF THE SAME BIRD.....(.the one that craps on the people to cater to the elite and business corps....)
There is NO PEOPLES VOICE OUT THERE.....................

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Bush made SOCOM Special Forces as big as the USDOD itself now.

And be thankful for that...if anyone has a chance of making a stand against tyranny, it's those guys. Current Administration better hope there's not another Benghazi, otherwise their gonna experience a two way firing range.

Let's hope I'm spot on...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

You're right. Bush was far from conservative. I wasn't talking about Bush. He was a neo-con war criminal.

Anyway I typed my response on my phone and mentioned it was oversimplified. I think y'all took me a bit the wrong way. But to even suggest that any news outlet doesn't slant left or right is simply asinine. Of course there is liberal media, just like there is conservative media. I was just pointing out that MSM is just another wing of the US government anymore, and the people who rant about liberal media are typically free market conservatives.

But to imply there is no liberal media is just silly.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

If big business controls the media and comprises the government, then it isn't much of a stretch to say government controls media now is it?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Am I wrong?

Sure you are. You simply may be FAR FAR left. There are many degrees of everything on the political spectrum. Reality is that we have a far left President and a left controlled Senate. Nothing, absolutely nothing Conservative or Republican is happening politically, nor has it been happening since Obama was elected.

You may have some pet ideological ideas the current leftist paradigm doesn't support. That doesn't mean Media is Right Wing. The only "right wing" media you could point to is Fox news. They are vastly outnumbered by everyone else on the media spectrum.

The average person simply doesn't have the view that current political people have. You can sit back and pontificate whimsically, while those in power have to deal with reality - often a reality that is hidden from common folks and for good reason. National Security for instance, is neither Right nor Left. No political system can survive ignoring reality.

The simple fact is your "reality" may have no basis in the real world. So you ascribing pedantic ideological political memes is simply... your opinion. We all have one. Some are just more relevant than others, N'est-ce pas?

V

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Main stream media is not really free press, as you may know, but rather there is a lot of government involvement

What? The media is controlled by corporations, for example Clear Channel controls most of the radio in this country, which is terrifying to me.

If you want liberal media you need to see Bill Moyers (if he's still around), or go to you tube and listen to people like Noam Chomsky.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

If big business controls the media and comprises the government, then it isn't much of a stretch to say government controls media now is it?

No it isn't. There are some agencies that use the media for propaganda and cultural control. Like the CIA.
If anything the media is far right.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Yes, you are correct that media is controlled by corporations. But there is still heavy government involvement, whether it be from takedown orders or gag orders or just plain censorship. And let's not ignore the fact that many media corporations have close ties or conflicts of interest with various government bodies as well.

Mainstream Media Censorship Exposed
55 Charts That Prove Governments Are Increasingly Censoring Your Internet

You can find countless examples of censorship in American media with minimal research.
edit on 11-8-2013 by sine.nomine because: url typo

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
What kills me is that people come on here and state things about conservatism who clearly have no clue what conservatism is. That is how completely programmed some people are by the media.

True conservatism, is rule of the masses by the few. They are feudalistic, fascists, and exactly what communism became.

If you are happy with the idea that you will be some lord, then you are a conservative, but most likely you will be just another slave. The U.S. was founded by true liberals, but sadly, the democratic party is controlled by conservatives.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The media is "liberal" because in the left/right scheme of things, the left is for more government involvement in our lives while the right is for less government Fifa 13 Forums (to be overly simple, that is). Main stream media is not really free press, as you may know, but rather there is a lot of government involvement.

top topics

join