It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me find a small town.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario the Midwest over to the east coast will be a waste land. Too many people and Nuke facilities.

But would the U.S. be the safest place? how long will the nuclear missiles stay safe in the silos without humans maintaining them?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpy

It's a valid point. But, there will be many places even in that area, that are going to be untouched even if all the reactors go....but yeah, the eastern seaboard is pretty much toast with permanent power loss.

edit on 19-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

From the looks of your map, it appears Northwest corner of Nebraska would be the best to avoid Nuclear radiation and Snow..

Although I am current in KY and it seems to be OK, but I would worry about the Jet Stream?
edit on 19-8-2013 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpy
reply to post by Gazrok

From the looks of your map, it appears Northwest corner of Nebraska would be the best to avoid Nuclear radiation and Snow..

Although I am current in KY and it seems to be OK, but I would worry about the Jet Stream?
edit on 19-8-2013 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

you are not taking into account the radioactive silos... which nebraska has about the most cold war era silos.

or the hidden waste from them

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Here is a wiki page that lists population in towns in TN as of 2000 census.

en.wikipedia.org...

The first listed that has the population you require is Athens, TN. Looks like it fits your other requirements too. Approximately equidistant to Knoxville and Chattanooga. (about 60 miles NE to Knoxville and 60 miles SW to Chattanooga). I know that general area is quite beautiful but have no specific knowledge of that town.

There are several towns listed on the wiki page that fit your population needs. You can easily google them for the other requirements on your list. They are spread out throughout the state though. Stay with Eastern TN if you want mountains.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

You might check out Wenatchee, WA or Chelan, WA. Chelan is more retirement and artsy people. Wenatchee is bigger and has good medical.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

True about the Silo's but is it a threat being that it is secured underground? It seems it would be contain well enough. I doubt they will just set them selves off. I am not sure but wouldn't they have to explode underground for any real threat of radiation?

Depending on how if any radiation from the silo's is a threat then ScottsBluff Nebraska is Ideal in a SHTF IMO.
edit on 20-8-2013 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

you are not taking into account the radioactive silos... which nebraska has about the most cold war era silos.

or the hidden waste from them

A valid point, but then again, since most are "hidden" as you say, kind of makes that info a bit hard to find.

Many of the silos are more public, but some aren't, as well as the hidden waste sites.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
New Bern North Carolina. Small, historic, quaint, artsy, coastal, etc. Truly is one of the gems of the South.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wow, I thought this thread was done and I just found another page of replies.
I don't have time now but I will check out your suggestions later today.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Vernon BC is one of the nicest small towns you'll find. But it's in Canada. There's about 50,000 people there, although it doesn't seem that big. But you're a short drive from a very nice small city Kelowna of about 200,000 people. Plus just endless lakes, mountains, and forests in all directions. Ideal for hunting, fishing, hiking, swimming, boating, moutain biking, dirtbiking, etc etc etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'd have to recommend against any place where there was snow, for a SHTF situation. Winters were feared by our ancestors (prior to electricity) for a REASON. Sure, there are plenty of ways to get heat, etc., but why add another major challenge (that will last for months) to the challenge of post SHTF living? [/quote

Places that snow tend to have plenty of water. I don't want to worry about drinking water.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Khaleesi

East TN could be a good area to check. No state income tax. I haven't looked for a specific town yet, but it is on my list of areas to move to when my partner and I can manage a big move. I will try to get some specifics for you later today.

I also like that area. It is very beautiful.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by NotThat

-Mostly a white population (I don't want to be a minority).

Racist much....?

Slamming with a racist label for that? Really? Just because this person wants to live in a community of his/her own race does not make them a racist. It only is a descriptor of the type of community being sought out. Nothing was mentioned about hatred towards another race or even disliking another race. Perhaps this person doesn't want to live in a community that speaks predominately spanish or chinese because of a language barrier. Did you happen to think of that or are you thinking of only one particular race that this person is "racist" against. If the latter is the case, then that would make you the racist now wouldn't it?
Judgmental much? Holier-than-thou much?
edit on 10-8-2013 by wirefly because: Mah bad

Mods, does this persons racism accusation not deserve some action?
edit on 10-8-2013 by wirefly because: note to mods

that's the very definition of racist, here is the definition
www.merriam-webster.com...
his own words define it as such. how does telling the truth deserve action on the part of the MODS?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will check them out.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
That description is pretty much anywhere in Arkansas. Fort Smith is very nice, but Northwest arkansas is where the growth is. Beautiful place to live

I really like Arkansas and Missouri. Trees, rolling hills, beautiful views and lovely people. We are going to check out a place suggsted in Missouri but my traveling companion is worried about Tornado Alley. I think you can find tornadoes anywhere.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
No no no no! Stay away from Montana! You would hate it here!

Honest! It's terrible!

Grizzly bears! Bugs! Wolves! SNAKES!!!!

What's pavement? We still use horses and buggies.

Our doctors are medicine men! The hospital is a tent out back.

(To my fellow Montanans- Dang it there are too many people in the state already! Don't be inviting MORE!)

I laughed and laughed at your post!
We took a train trip once and circled the United States. The people in Montana and Washington were very clean looking and nicely dressed. They were very polite, seemed kind, but didn't get into your business. Montana by train is quite an experience. I highly recommend it.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpy
In a SHTF scenario the Midwest over to the east coast will be a waste land. Too many people and Nuke facilities.

But would the U.S. be the safest place? how long will the nuclear missiles stay safe in the silos without humans maintaining them?

I am not really worried about nukes. Perhaps I should be but I think they are mostly a threat if one lands on your city.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Skorpy

It's a valid point. But, there will be many places even in that area, that are going to be untouched even if all the reactors go....but yeah, the eastern seaboard is pretty much toast with permanent power loss.

edit on 19-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Wow! Thanks for the map. I had no idea there were so many.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

Thanks for the info. I like that area. We just drove through Tenn. this summer.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join