It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio orders deputies to carry AR-15 style rifles and remain armed even when of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Does sheriff Joe know something we don't.
Makes you wonder. I would guess within 60 days .
Good luck folks !

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

From Source.

We live in a violent society, even here in Maricopa County, and across our nation, and the least we can do is to arm our deputies, let's say with enough firepower to fight back."

But the news that he is requiring the deputies to be armed and essentially on duty at all times is noteworthy.

"My deputies will carry guns 24 hours a day, even off duty. If they see any incident occurring, they will take action anywhere in this valley," he said.

Sounds like a plan....unless they decide to trample some civil rights along the way.

Stay safe LEO's and Civillians.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Fox10 notes that the announcement came on the same day that a Sheriff’s Office employee, Jorge Vargas, was shot and killed outside his home while off duty.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision but the op left out a major fact. When officers are being targeted and killed while off duty they should have the right to defend themselves.

That is one of my biggest complaints about some of the threads on this site how important details are often ignored. Tell the whole story not just one side of the story.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
All the cops i know carry off duty.

And as close to the border as this department is they need ARs because of the cartels and the weapons supplied to the cartels by the feds.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I always thought cops carried off duty, maybe not rifles but a side arm. To be honest I thought they were required to be armed at all times.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It seems your storys are mixed,...The ARs are for DUTY weapons.....The 24hr armed thing is handguns......

I see no trouble with the officers being armed off duty,(which is a personal choice I believe,in most precincts)
But the ARs belong in the desert, or on a swat team.....they may be unwieldy in some urban situations, even dangerous for the officers......
These have far greater penetration than pistol rounds.....certainly they penetrate body armour.....
Should an officer "lose his weapon to a criminal in a struggle, hes certainly at greater risk than he would be if it were a handgun.....
Unarmed combat and the associated skills of holding onto ones rifle whilst in a mob or crowd say....will be a whole new skill set to develop....
The fact they will e packting rifles will also militarise even further, the friendly cops on the beat.....
Will it be those german looking army helmets next?

edit on 10-8-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The ARs might belong in the desert, but what do you tell an LEO that's off duty facing down the barrel of an AK being wielded by a body armor-wearing drug runner?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I understand that guy is sorta a meglamainiack, but he's clearly nuts. ...."Daddy can you take me to my friends birthday party, and can you take me to little league practice and then after can we go for icecream."...."sure son lets do that"......."but daddy why are you bringing that machine gun?"......"well son it's like this.....oh same ah bin lay din could be hiding under every rock, could be hiding behind every bush, could be anywhere and everywhere, so you can never be too safe. ..."okay daddy if you say so".

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
The ARs might belong in the desert, but what do you tell an LEO that's off duty facing down the barrel of an AK being wielded by a body armor-wearing drug runner?

That's exactly the point. LEO's have to have weaponry that is on par or better than those they are expected to face off against. That's also the reason why civilians should have access to AR's and similar weaponry; To keep on par with military and police weaponry that might one day be be used against them.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

You miss the point: we ALL have a right when targeted anywhere to defend ourselves, not just cops.

Ive known a lot of Officers in my time and not ONE didn't carry weapons off duty. One of them stressed the point when we were in a Walmarts and he recognized a newly released convict he put away in prison for 10 years at the register.

PS He ALWAYS (even at the beach) carried 2 firearms off duty in case one got taken away in a fight or retaliation attack.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
one interesting thing to note. he used MONEY STOLEN from people to PURCHASE his weapons. now most of the honest people they steal money from generally won't be an issue. but what i think his REAL concern is that the actual criminals they take money from are likely getting PO'D with them (and i am sure THEY think this money has been stolen from them), thus causing the need to heavily arm officers on duty and insure those off duty have some protection from the PAYBACK that these criminal organizations may try to get for "stealing their cash". kind of a vicious circle in a way. has his need for this been "caused" by the taking and using the very money he used to "buy" the weapons?

Arpaio says he purchased all 400 of the Smith & Wesson rifles with money seized during arrests.
www.myfoxphoenix.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Would that be the drug runners financed, protected and armed by elements of the federal government?

I think I would tell the LEO that he is supporting a false paradigm at best. At worst, I would tell the LEO that he is considered an expendable small cog in a very large gangster government.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Considering the dangers they face, and how many border areas are virtual war zones, this sounds like a good plan. Sheriff Joe isn't the sort to be planning any illegal actions against innocent civilians, either. Quite the opposite.

top topics

join