It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Countries to Move to?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Better health care for all = Regulated medical Insurance. Possibly, but with every system / government body / corporation, we have today. If the goal is universality or simply affordability, the for profit aspect has to be taken out of the equation.

" Does anybody really need another million dollar movie star. " Lou Reed.....

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'd think about the availability of fresh water and protection. This is why I like large land masses over island nations. If there was a true shtf event in the world I want to be able to live off the surrounding resources as long as possible. I think the money problems of the world will hurt everyone that has a "20th / 21st century" way of life, there is no hiding from it. However wars and natural disasters are luck of the draw. As far as me i'm staying in the US, just outside of a large national park that I can disappear into. If I spoke spanish I might head south to Brazil another of the worlds bread baskets.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBryk
I'd think about the availability of fresh water and protection. This is why I like large land masses over island nations. If there was a true shtf event in the world I want to be able to live off the surrounding resources as long as possible. I think the money problems of the world will hurt everyone that has a "20th / 21st century" way of life, there is no hiding from it. However wars and natural disasters are luck of the draw. As far as me i'm staying in the US, just outside of a large national park that I can disappear into. If I spoke spanish I might head south to Brazil another of the worlds bread baskets.

Hola

www.spanishdict.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If you're in debt and unemployed with no future then just go join the French Foreign Legion

My friend is in it, he went in without speaking a single word of French they beat it into him

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
My question is- what is the main reason(s) you are looking into moving out of America? Is it the current political climate? the economy? etc?

I can't speak for OP, but this is a topic I have interest in as well.

My list goes something like: political climate, economy (generally), unemployment rate, pay rates, cost of living, quality of living, horrible militarized police, draconian laws related to personal freedom, corrupt corporate influence, and especially the huge prisons-for-profit industry, etc.

Those "quality of living" issues are pretty huge, all on their own. I mean, first, unemployment is a big deal. Especially when you have 500 applicants for every one crappy minimum wage job flipping burgers. Then, those minimum wage jobs that people are competing for, don't want to give full time hours, don't want to give benefits, and even if you are lucky enough to get full time, that's barely enough to live on when making minimum wage (or anything close to it.)

Then, what is the average human lifespan? 70-80 years? If you start working at 18, and stop at 65, that's nearly FIFTY of those years. Now, in some european countries, workers typically get far more vacation time than we do. In the US, IF you're lucky enough to have a full time job that offers vacation, what do you get? One week per year? Maybe two weeks? That comes out to around one year (two if you're lucky), out of fifty, where you get to relax and enjoy your life, where you're not working at some crappy job to make someone else rich, while you barely get by, by comparison. No thanks.

Then, if you choose a non-government-approved recreational activity in your off-time to take your mind off being a wage slave, you have to worry about maybe having your door kicked in by an overly-militarized police force that might kill you if you make a wrong move, or if they're a little jumpy (as they tend to be on their no-knock raids.) Heck, even if you're a perfectly obedient citizen, you might mistakenly be the victim of one of these raids...

....as the cops and the politicians team up to not only make us THE most heavily imprisoned society on this planet but to constantly top our own record....

"Land of the free" my left #%&. And "Home of The Brave," indeed. You have to be brave to live through all this. You have no choice.

Make no mistake-- the US is steadily becoming a more and more scary and less pleasant place to live, if you're not among the top few percent, economically.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire
Hello, I was hoping to get your opinions on the best countries to move to from America?

Please stay in America, please.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

I have been in Ecuador since SEP 2008, there are upwards of 20,000 North American Expats in this 2nd smallest South American country, with a year round growing season and bountiful water supply.
The stimulus policies of current President Correa have kept Ecuador out of recession and with a positive GDP growth rate: Ecuador Chooses Stimulus Over Austerity: journeymanjack.webs.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Any thoughts on Netherlands?
Surprised it wasnt mentioned (didnt read whole thread, search found nothing on it)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Okay people. Denmark is a very small European country. It's often being confused with the capital of Sweden, but that is Stockholm.
In Denmark we have high taxes, cars are expensive well everything costs more than anywere else on this planet. But because of that we have a welfare system that allows free education, free medical care, free retirement homes ect. But that is not all when in school you get a monthly paycheck call "SU - Statens Uddannelsesstøtte" it is 6000 DKR approximately 1072 USD. That is not the only thing were you will get payed there is always a safety net for unemployment, retiring without a pension etc.
I think you should look it up there is so many wonderful things about this country, but if you want a cheap car instead of the insurance of your broken limbs getting fixed that is your call.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by poweref
Best country to move to is

Croatia.

ONLY IF you do not plan to do big business plans. For business, Croatia is not so good.

So Croatia is one the best options because of lots of reasons. Lately, we are part of EU, so now we are bigger market than before (more benefits like cheaper prices).

Croatia is mostly white Christian country. They are peaceful, and they are no racists more than others in the world. For its standard (poor economy) is very highly developed in terms of technology use. People here surf a lot, and from education system they learn a lot more than for example average American. People from here (Serbia and Bosnia also) are "good genetic material"
Healthy people, natural food, nature water. It is like modern times but without all that SF bull....s we cant believe when we read newspapers what people are doing. Even gay marriages are now a matter of days here.

Croatia have sooo much islands, and clean sea, and some of the most wonderful worlds beaches. Also, Croatia is small country but it has big see, a lot of woods, lakes, fertile lands, mountains. So in few hours of drive you have the most beautiful things world and nature can offer.

Now the best part.

With American salary, you would live here like a king. Really. Thats big advantage. You can still order things online, if they are hard to find in stores, but we are EU standard now so you can buy here almost as much as in any other EU country.

Now, our lands are so cheap that I think about moving into this business. Imagine to buy like 1 mile *1 mile land and become owner for like.. 8000$? Your own land to do whatever you like. Not like in US, where you rent land and houses.

If you think about renting and living in little city, not to big, well Zadar on sea is one of the best choices. Rent is like 150-300+€ per month.

Not big crime rates. People are much less worried about business. It is like boring country. We have free healthcare and private healthcare. There is literally everything anyone need for normal life. Even if you do not have nothing, you will live out of city and like 30% of houses produce their own food in time after work. Ppl just love that, to be on land, in nature, with dogs or walking through forest, rivers, lakes.. And to grow their own stuff like flowers and food - that is what makes big joy for people who search for slowing down this fast world.

edit on 11-8-2013 by poweref because: (no reason given)

Hello poweref, my European cousin!
You have just described to me the perfect Country to move to, where the important things in life are not flashy cars, large houses and 65" flat panel tv's.
The thought of living in the countryside, living off the land, growing my own food and working my own land is exactly what I'm looking for. Where health and friendships are more important than possessions. Where community spirit is still alive and where helping my neighbours who in turn help me is more important than payment. A place where I can live closer to nature, reaping the rewards of the land, instead of working for someone else and lining only their pockets with my blood and sweat.

I want to eat real food that does not come in a plastic bag. I want to eat fresh food, not artificially ripened or preserved and without additives and preservatives. I also want to own my own land, with perhaps a stream and a wood, so that I chop firewood and sit beside a real open fire, instead of paying extortionate prices for Gas.

What I /we (The wife too) want, sounds like a dream that is so far out of reach here in the UK as land costs are so very high.
But it sounds like that dream could become a reality in Croatia.
The only concern for me would be Winter temperatures due to a medical condition. How cold does it get over there in the Winter?
edit on 11-8-2013 by studio500 because: grammar

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

ha.ha. very funny.

The military is extremely choosy with who they let in nowadays with all of these budget cuts. Besides that, they pay poverty level wages; it is no longer a mechanism for upward social mobility.

The French foreign legion is basically a special forces group now, I'm guessing your friend looks like a hulk.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

If you NEED to relocate...due to a lack of funds/debt...why not accept that you need to buckle down and slave yourself out for a bit? OR If you don't want to, go live in the woods/ dumpster dive/ hitchhike. Not sure what answers you're looking for here. Reality is what it is...accept and overcome the hurdles you present yourself with.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Regarding people that have recommended India.

It basically has the highest number of murders in the world, (behind Syria which is an anomoly)

en.wikipedia.org...

Not the highest rate. But ask yourself, who do you think will stand out like a sore thumb for a killing?

Regarding MEXICO, lol

qz.com...

fourth highest number in the world 27,199 of which only 98% were unsolved. (not that im inclined, but if I was in themind to commit murder, for a laugh, for example, it might be something I might consider whilst in Mexico)

Please note, im not considering it. We all know the evil secret internet police dont have the intellect to detect irony or dry humour so for the hard of thinking, IM NOT GOING TO MEXICO TO MURDER PEOPLE.

But if I were to id be off on a Air Mexico flight tomorrow leaving from JFK to the ass end of Mexico near Nicuragua and a bundle of hard cash.

Ive always fantasised about boring someone to death. (NSA and Mexico Secret Police - thats another joke. To bore is a verb meaning to fail to maintain an interest in another party, a bit like an Obama Speach, and its nothing to do with drilling or milling. Please note, if you look up BORING in the UK yellow pages it says SEE CILVIL ENGINEERS.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

Nice! Croatia has all seasons like warm summer, and cold winters with snow. Snow rarely falls in sea areas, where is warmer. Winter average il like -1 to -5, but there can be higher temperature drops if winter is strong like -10 or even more rarely.

About land and prices, i told maybe to big example. Think about nice average yard about 50x50 meters. It can be even bigger like 100x100. You can own that land for like 1500-2000€. Thats really big place to build house and grow some food on like 5x5meters - it is enough food and even work for 1 person

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schillinger

close to none let you open carry as you can here.

Cause yeah when you unemployed with little propects in life in a country that econemy is on the verge of crashing that the most importnat thing

Well guess its important if you have certain body member issues

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The only reason you should consider expatriating without an employer to make a path for you, is that you love adventure and don't ever get a case of the loneliness.

I worked all over the Middle East as a young man. I had a co-worker with my for several months, and he was absolutely miserable. I found a laundry that did all my clothes (6 weeks worth!) for 20 buck. Yet he was pissed because they starched and creased his blue jeans. He was yelling at them and cussing them. I'm like, "what the hell, that's the fashion here---we blend in!"

But what really wore him down was that most countries outside the USA are not going to give you a personal private bathroom unless you are the 1%. "There is a men's room on the next floor" is a common quote in hotels and apartments. And the bathroom turns out to be the outlines of shoes drawn on a tile floor, with a hole between them, and a local boy with a garden hose to "flush" for you. Hope you don't have stage fright.

Showers are not "built in" to bathtubs, they are often a snap-on plastic attachment and you hold the hose and nozzle and wet yourself, then turn it off, then suds up, then turn it on and hold it over your head to rinse. There isn't enough water for you to leave it running while you lather up. And the water is usually whatever temperature the tank on the roof is.

Bathrooms in France still suck. I don't care much, but it is something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

A lot of the world outside of Anglophone and and Europe has a fairly slipshod view of "civil rights" and "fairness"
For instance, there is a going scam in Belize where, once you get set up to move down there, your household furnishings get "stuck" in customs for weeks, while you take various petty officials out for dinner and drinks. lovely.

Southeastern Europe is nice, and parts of it are more open to expats than you'd think. Of course, their idea of sausage is not red flecked with white, but white flecked with red. Just drink the local red wine to keep the chloresterol from clogging your pipes. Or drink the water--even just as ice cubes in a pepsi--and you'll get a complimentary colon cleanse with your stay.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

close to none let you open carry as you can here.

Cause yeah when you unemployed with little propects in life in a country that econemy is on the verge of crashing that the most importnat thing

Well guess its important if you have certain body member issues

Actually, I value my life more than my job. So yea, it probably is.

There are plenty of rabbits, cats, dogs, deer, frogs, fish, etc. to eat.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

[

Actually, I value my life more than my job. So yea, it probably is.

There are plenty of rabbits, cats, dogs, deer, frogs, fish, etc. to eat.

Whatever

BTW try shooting a frog witha gun
You wont get much to eat
And Fishing with a gun

OP I can see why you want out of the states when there people that think the solution to everything is gunz

edit on 12-8-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

This might sound odd but I'd like to move to Russia or Canada. Harsh winter environments, lots of room in the country to move around. And plenty of work to be done if one decided to live out in the boonies.

Brazil would be awesome. But if I had to pick one I'd go to China.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We went on a mission trip a couple of years ago to Tizimin, Mexico. It is in the Yucatan Penninsula about 3 hours from Cancun and about 30 minutes south of the Gulf of Mexico.

A wonderful small citi... everyone was nice and genuine. I wore khakis and khaki shirt with work boots and a bigass straw cowboy hat. Most folks didn't realize I was not native from looking.

The city was quiet at night... no sirens, no gunshots... nada.

I learned that the drugsters follow the money, and since tizimin was poor... no money... no gangstas.

The land was a coral shelf... flat and rocky, wide open spaces, ... ripe for goats and hot weather vineyards. Looked much like tropical mediterannean Italy.

The biggest potential impediment is the local polizia... they like small bribes as you travel from town to town... especially if you are a gringo.

Other than that, life down there has it's own time and flow. Everyday is siesta at 11-12 and back to work about 2-3.... depending on the afternoon rain storms which are more punctual than the local buses. Mucho mas food all around. The people were poor, but never hungry. tropical fruits grow in every yard.

Most homes had yard fowl like turkeys and chickens. Beef is big there, but shipped off for sale further north.

When we were there, it was 11 Pesos on the Dollar. Most things were relatively cheap. A good meal out could be had for about 2-3 dollars... and I mean a meal, not the value McDollar meal.

If you like CocaCola.. Mexico is your place. Coke everywhere. And the local rules are in place, but most are iggnorred if you keep your nose clean. A "donation" can ride you completely around the local building ordinances.

There were parts of Tizimin that literally looked like a set off a Clint Eastwood movie or from the "WildBunch"...

And for all the young bucks out there, mucho mas senoritas everywhere...

At night we walked down the streets at even 11 pm and no fear. Families were playing on stoops... kids playing ball in the streets... everyone greeted you... "B'noches."

Pyramids to the west, blue green waters with white sand beaches and thousands of Flamingos to the north... and if you must... Cancun to the east...

Tizimin, mexico calls me still.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join