It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Countries to Move to?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There are a lot of volunteer opportunities in foreign countries, everything from teaching English to digging irrigation ditches. You won't make money but your basic needs will be met in exchange for your work. It's a way to see the world and get your feet wet living in other countries to see which you may like. It is also network building as you will come into contact with different professions. Just look for something that you think may open some doors for you.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire

*NOTE* to the person who said that once I leave the country, I can never come back... what the hell? I'm fairly certain that America wont care if I go abroad for sometime. Where did you come up with that logic?
edit on 10-8-2013 by teachtaire because: -_-

Slow down and read. Just like you've been yelling at others to do.

You are not going to be able to give up your citizenship for here, became a national of another country, and just come waltzing in.No.

You'll have to get a visa just to visit your place of birth.

Yes, you might be able to visit (depends on if the US allows you a visa, or the country you become a national of allows you to do so).

But move back here and switch your citizenship back to American?

Not very likely.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Mexico is a great place to be. I am in Puerto Vallarta and have lived in Guadalajara. I speak very little Spanish and do great here. My internet is 100 mb/s download and 10 mb/s upload for about $70 a month. I have not had to learn Spanish because of all the Americans and Canadians here. It is a culture of tax evasion and once you know how it works, you can avoid taxes nearly all together.
Work can be tough, but if you can do phone sales then there are some great opportunities. For me it has been very easy to start businesses here and labor is dirt cheap. I had a cafe on the beach for a while and was paying my employees the equivalent of $9 usd a day. Nearly twice minimum wage.

The best part is the freedom. Cops drive around with their top lights on everywhere because they are there to protect you and not just looking to pull people over for traffic violations. Plus the food here is unreal good.

You can survive here on about $1,200 a month and you can live like a king if you are making anything over $4,000 a month.

There is a reason over 1,000,000 Americans live here. Oh and a post wouldn't be complete here without a conspiracy theory. I believe 90% of the bad press on Mexico is to keep people from retiring here. They don't want that US money leaving the country. Medical and dental cost 1/10 here compared to back home in Seattle...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

edit on 10-8-2013 by greengo because: I want to delete it

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
As others have suggested - and if possible - may be a good idea just to seek a decent working-visa for whatever country you may be considering relocating to...just in case the bite of homesickness draws you back *home* and you run into any entry issues returning to America due to changing of citizenship...

As for a country to check out, I'm biased obviously but I'd suggest right here in New Zealand.

I've been to most of the places others have suggested, but NZ always brings me peace and balance. Again thats obvious bias as this place is my land, my blood, my soul...I feel incomplete whenever Im not standing upon this soil...probably no different then to many other people and how they feel about their own homeland...

What has NZ got to offer?

Lots really - though again that depends hugely upon what you're looking for in life.
We're a reasonably small country and most places are literally a day or two drive away to anywhere in NZ...or a hour or so flight.
We've got decent cities if urban is your thing, we've also got a ton of natural space if the outdoors is your thing.

The city I live in (Wellington) for instance is a nice place...you can hit the town if you want, or you can within minutes be on a beach that makes you feel miles away from any urban city...plus if you're into diving you can suit up, swim out and gather up a nice feed of shellfish or crayfish easy enough...again mere minutes from our country's capital city.

Hunting, tramping, skiing...all that...getting out into something natural is a great way to connect with whats real in life and get ones head back on track.

If you're the kind of people who is more keen to just disappear, then here in NZ are plenty of places you can just fade off the grid and go unnoticed.

Cost of living isn't too bad either, really, and again it depends on what you want or where you want to be in life.
Sure, a number of areas of our country will require your first-born child if you're even thinking about buying a house or property there...but many other places you can pick up your own piece of paradise for cheap enough.

We're a pretty laid back people here too...sure we like all places have our issues...but on the whole its a sweet place, pretty safe, not too much drama and people pretty much just get on with life without getting too up into anyone elses.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

You might need to consider if the countries you wish to move to will accept you.
Some may have restrictions.
Some may want certain trades or professions only.

So, do whatever checking is needed....although I'm sure you've already thought about this...

Other considerations: language, climate, natural disasters, insects, disease, vaccinations, medical care, taxes, cost of living, ease of entrance and egress, food, standard of living.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I echo the above.

You need to offer something to the countries where it'd actually be worth moving to. I have a long term plan of opening up businesses in multiple countries and living a season or so in each throughout the year.

First work on either attaining a much needed degree or trade skill for the country you decide on, else save up 100k and opt for opening a business in the new country. You try to just jet and you may end up in jail and be deported back eventually.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm trying to get my brother who has a large pension check nearing (government employee) to move to Costa Rica or somewhere in Central America (he goes to Mexico a few times every winter)... I've read very good things about Colombia too... Personally I still think the US has a lot going for it... outside of politics... just move to Wyoming or South Dakota or Montana... Even here in Wisconsin its not that bad...just stay away from the coasts...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dingleberrydan

Go to Panama or Nicaragua they are the new Costa Rica as far as cost I live down there 8 months out of the year.
edit on 10-8-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Minimum wage is about $10.75, the tax vary by province, anywhere from 8%-13%... public transportation are great, and clean.

I gotta say I disagree with this! (we Canadians are a picky bunch, eh?)
Minimum wage in my province is 9.75, about to go to 9.95. (Though only servers and students make that)
Usually $11.00 is standard.
And the gst is only 5%.
And Nova Scotia's gst is 15%
NOT 8%-13%

Anyways, I don't blame you OP for wanting to get out of America. But you have to think carefully, and while Canada is nice for many reasons, Canada is almost as bad when it comes to certain political aspects and spying.

That being said, one thing to really consider is how you are going to be making your money and what country is most likely to be able to give you employment. Like if you could teach scuba diving or something.
That being said, Thailand is beautiful and inexpensive. Language is the real challenge.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Not that I have a desire to relocate, but if I had to, I'd choose Cananda. Georgraphically it is the second largest country by land mass. It's population is relatively small only about 35M citizens with vast land unihabited. The country is run much like England with a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state.

It would be a very easy transition from the U.S. to Canada culturally. Societal values and morals are similar and is regarded pretty much as a peaceful country.

So if I had to leave the U.S., Canada would be my first choice! Been there, nice people, educated and freedoms!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago
My vote would be Taiwan.
They are very business oriented (big and small.)
The people are very friendly.
They have a dim view on violent crime.
Riding around Taipei in a taxi is a gas (not for the faint hearted.)
They have a great museum and the north beaches are awesome.

oh yeah, and their politicians get into fistfights on TV when they really disagree.

LOVE THE PLACE.

Lived there for 14+ years.

All that you said is true.

However,

FWIW

a husband and wife industrialist team had independent dreams that were essentially the same . . .

that when the Mainland overruns the place . . . as they likely will do . . . they shot every last "barbarian" [foreigner] they could find.

I pray for the Taiwanese as well as for the Mainland Christians etc.

Interesting times ahead . . . but then . . . China will be invading our West Coast and through Mexico, too.

Ni djr dow ma?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I live in 3 countries.

Im english and I brought a forclosed home in Florida for $15k

I also have an apartment in Holland.

I want to complete the set by buying a place in Uruagy (however you spell it).

I dont think that you can jump out of the frying pan and into a nice place, Everyplace has its problems.

I think much of what troubles people is being tied to a certain place.

I consider myself to be a global citizen above the rule of any government.

I instead elect to respect the laws of the country i am in.

However, I think that moving around rapidly prevents the evil state police no matter where you are from focussing on you. When you live in one place, they can establish a control over your environment. However, if you are not there for long then they cant really commit full time people. The built environment is like a pressure system with you as a incircuit resistor. If you remove yourself the oppressors overload themselves, they cant leverage your presence. Sounds strange, but it works for me.

I notice a change. Its like they give up with their systems of repression because its too demoralising for the oppressors to actually know that you can move and will move.

As such, I think you need to consider several factors including cost. You also need to consider time to travel. For me amstrdam is a total of about 2-3 hours door to door.. Florida is a good day. Uruargauy would be about the same but thats not on the cards for a good while.

LANGAUGE - Is a biggie. IMPORTANT NOTE -

MANY PEOPLE THINK YOU SHOULD SEEK AN ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY. HOWEVER THATS AN ERROR FOR SEVERAL REASONS. FIRST - THE AXIS OF EVIL UK, USA, CANADA AND AUSTRALIA ALL SPEAK ENGLISH - HOWEVER IF YOU START ANOTHER LANGAUGE THE FACT IS THEY CANT UNDERSTAND YOU - HENCE THE APPEAL OF URURAGUY (SPANISH) AND DUTCH. IT MIGHT SEEM TRIVIAL BUT YOU SOON REALISE THAT OTHER CULTURES ARE NOT AS EVIL AS THE AXIS OF EVIL WANT YOU TO BELIEVE. I WOULD RECOMMEND RUSSIA OR CHINA BUT THEY ARE VERY HARD TO LEARN. BOTTOM LINE - A DIFFERENT LANGAUGE CAN TRULY THROW A SPANNER IN THEIR EAVESDROPPING AND AS SOON AS YOU START COMMUNICATING IN A SECOND LANGAUGE YOU REDUCE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THEIR SURVEILANCE BY AT LEAST 50-80%. i ENVISAGE A TIME WHEN ENGLISH WILL BE SEEN AS THE LANGAUGE OF EVIL IN AS MUCH AS WE SEE THE NAZIS AS THE NATION OF EVIL. YOU NEED TO WAKE UP AND MAKE AN EFFORT TO CHANGE YOUR WORLD.

As such, I am not recommending LEAVING your country, but rather splitting your time between conutries. If you are terminally poor you can split your time IN AMERICA!!! Have a house in Iowa, Florida and New Mexico or even Mexico or Canada.

Im sat here right now in Florida with no refrigeration or aircon and no hot water and no shower/bath, but I have a big fan and I feel great. I own 100% and im a net cntributor to the USA.

im not here long enough to be uscked under.

Hope that helps people considering moving. You dont have to throw all your roots away. You might be tied to a job. That should mean you have 30 days holiday a year, which is 15 long weekends which is 60 days in another local or 2 months in a place where your local oppressors cannot harm you.

Anyone can do it.

Property in Iowa and Detroit is dirt cheap. I choose Florida because it was hot and the best time difference with the UK.

Become a global citizen today and refuse to speak the langauge of evil.

Other nations dont spy on you all the time becuse....... They cant. they are too small. Its a fact. Life exists elsewhere and itrs mostly good.

I think it was Marco Polo who travelled to the East and was amazed to find a city, I cant remember which, that had been in existence for hundreds of years and existed without his awareness. It didnt need his permission it exist, and it had art and culture and wealth. Learn humility and expand your horizons.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire
reply to post by micmerci

Basically, I have no future here.

I may as well be broke and underemployed in a different country rather than stick around here waiting for the ball to drop.

Our debt is a huge reason as well.

Thanks for the answers guys, try to be as detailed as possible. I'm looking up these countries myself, but I don't know how much I can rely on Wikipedia and the CIA fact book.

Also, do you need to be in the country itself to ask for asylum or just at their embassy, as that counts as their soil? Just a random question.

Come to India if you have some money. Retire into the lap of Himalayas in a nice cottage.
India has decent political and economic stability and low cost of living.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by brookster18

You are a smart guy. Your choices are good.
Stay away from major military bases. Go as rural as possible.

A nuclear war is on the horizon. A common man can only survive where one can avoid a direct hit. You will also need local food and water.

South America and South Africa, several Asian countries are safest.
Small islands in Indian ocean, Atlantic and Pacific are very unsafe.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I'm terribly sorry, but if you're applying for jobs where your main competition is illegal immigrants you're not applying for a real job. None of those job suggestions I gave hire illegal immigrants as long as you're looking at legitimate (ie tax-paying) companies.

Not all retail stores hire "hire teenage girls that are beautiful to look at." In fact, most retail sales floor employees, aside from department and clothing stores, tend to be male. Though, just about everywhere, cashiers and customer service employees tend to be female.

You asked, "Is that a skill that will help me get a job at a retail store?" My point is exactly that it is not. You do not need any skills to work retail aside from the ability to assist others and be a team player. If you get a warehouse job, you don't even really need those.

Also, your skill would not be necessary for many of the other jobs I suggested, as they would mostly provide you with paid training. Some, such as phlebotomist or nurse, would involve a small investment in yourself (three months to two years of school), but that would easily pay off in no time. You can get a two year nursing degree for only a few thousand dollars from most community colleges.

reply to post by Aazadan

While I agree that my argument of civil rights is not directly comparable to what is going on today, it was a comparable large struggle at the time. Since you listed some points I will respond in kind.

1.) "Innocent until proven guilty" is still the way the legal system works. Yes, it does have flaws and corruption, but not in every case. In fact, in the vast majority of cases. The ones that do are the ones the media will talk about. Why? Because headlines such as "Legal System Works Flawlessly!" don't create viewers and readers, and in turn, revenue.
2.) Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean here. If you would care to elaborate or explain what you mean, I may be able to better respond.
3.) Is it through the roof, or just being captured on film and spread virally more? Ten years ago not many people had the connected devices that almost everyone has today.
4.) Many of the criminals are better armed now too. There is a large prevalence of high-powered weapons, body armor, etc... If the police did not have comparable or better weapons they would be overwhelmed. Also, the local police enforce local laws. The federal organizations enforce federal laws. You don't see DHS performing routine traffic stops, do you? No side stepping of the Posse Comitatus Act.
5.) Yes and no. Yes, money and property have been seized and used in varying ways by police departments. No, because this happens only after a judgement has been made or if the money or property have gone unclaimed for a certain amount of time.
6.) While still in operation in some states, private prisons are slowly declining. This has been an ongoing trend, with their banning in Indiana (1990), New York (2000), and moratorium in Louisiana (2001). Other states over the years have been slowing working legislature to end these prisons. The biggest culprit that keeps them going is California.
7.) While tougher sentences may be in place, they are very seldom followed through to their full extent. Many prisoners have shortened sentences for various reasons (ie good behavior, overpopulation, parole opportunities, etc...).
8.) Lots of times the recidivism comes from people deliberately trying to get back into prison. Many of these people have incredibly low quality of life on the outside of the walls. Getting themselves back into prison puts a roof over their head, three meals a day, an opportunity for a free education, and, most importantly, what they see as an increased quality of life.

Again, I still agree with you on the rest of your statements. I cannot disagree that the overall quality of life for the average citizen in the United States is going downhill. At the same time, I still maintain that giving up hope and desire for change in place of complacency will certainly not make anything positive happen.

Aw, and I typed all that just to see you're not following the thread any longer. Oh well.

Not everything can be blamed upon the school system. I grew up in Detroit and went to school in Detroit. The city is far from being known for its wonderful education system. I had good parents who worked with me, helped me learn to read, write, and spell properly. My grammar may not be that of an English professor, but it is definitely better than most.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Originally posted by Bassago
My vote would be Taiwan.
They are very business oriented (big and small.)
The people are very friendly.
They have a dim view on violent crime.
Riding around Taipei in a taxi is a gas (not for the faint hearted.)
They have a great museum and the north beaches are awesome.

oh yeah, and their politicians get into fistfights on TV when they really disagree.

LOVE THE PLACE.

Lived there for 14+ years.

All that you said is true.

However,

FWIW

a husband and wife industrialist team had independent dreams that were essentially the same . . .

that when the Mainland overruns the place . . . as they likely will do . . . they shot every last "barbarian" [foreigner] they could find.

I pray for the Taiwanese as well as for the Mainland Christians etc.

Interesting times ahead . . . but then . . . China will be invading our West Coast and through Mexico, too.

Ni djr dow ma?

Taiwan will capitulate very fast if China/Taiwan war ever happens.
Taiwan is no match for China.

But Taiwan is NOT safe. You are right about political executions which could reach in millions.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

A job working in fast food is a real job when the alternative is another year of unemployment.

Or perhaps you think I defecate money?

*NOTE* You keep going on about jobs that I've already applied to. Let me say yet again, I've already applied to those jobs. I even get turned down for janitorial work.

I literally can't compete with the new immigrants and illegal aliens.

And if you think an average looking guy will get hired over a hot young woman, you need to examine American corporate culture. Just look at ] Abercrombie & Fitch. This mentality is very common in America, and applies to employees more than customers.

I'm guessing that you either live in a cave,

have blinders on,

were born to middle or uppermiddle class parents,

haven't ever lived in America,

are in denial,

or are being paid to spread disinformation.

edit on 10-8-2013 by teachtaire because: I'll spell it out for you

The fact that you believe I "don't need skills" for those jobs shows just how out of touch you are.

I'm looking at advertising for employment, and here is an entry level retail job. Non-manger, just for stocking shelves at SEARS. You know what? It requires 2 years MINIMUM experience in the "retail industry". Pay $8/hr.

Here is a job for a bar as a waiter "3 years MINIMUM experience in food industry". Pay $7.75 + tips.

Here is a job for greeter at a restaurant "2 years MINIMUM experience in hospitality." pay $6.00/hr + tips

Here is a job for a medical technician, in this case collecting blood work "5 years MINIMUM experience in medical + degree in biology and certification." pay $15/hr.
edit on 10-8-2013 by teachtaire because: since you seem to be dense.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

So, to my understanding, from your point of view, another year of unemployment is better than having at least some income? That is what I am failing to understand here.

First, you say you're too qualified for these jobs. Then that you cannot get them because of immigrants. It makes no sense at all. And, again, I will state that that none of those jobs I suggested will hire someone without the legal right to work in this country.

I was barely born into a lower middle class family. A family with four kids is hardly well to do on the single income of a civil employee's salary. I stated I grew up in Detroit and my current location is listed to the left. Go ahead and look up some information about my current cit of residence.

I'm also hardly in denial. I have said many times throughout this thread that things are going downhill in this country and that they are not what they used to be.

All I am saying is that I don't think you're actually trying. If you spent half the time you've invested in this thread on yourself (such as improving skills through education or looking for a job) you would probably on the road to being better off already.

And if I were on the government payroll, what makes you think I would waste my time on you? But that goes back to your identity of importance, I guess.

But, as I said before, that's all your prerogative and clearly one that is not about to change anytime soon. I'm washing my hands of and walking away from this one. Good luck in life.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Mods, can you keep this troll from derailing this thread?

I'm about to get angry and make him his own personal micro-satellite.

*note* www.dtic.mil...

Troll, rather than bothering us here with your diversions, I suggest you take a page out of my book and do some light reading.

Might I suggest any one of the following?

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

people.ee.duke.edu...

dtlweb.au.af.mil...==.pdf

people.cs.uchicago.edu...

www.sciencedirect.com...

www.rand.org...

www.lti.cs.cmu.edu...

www.sciencemag.org...

samples.jbpub.com...

geophysics.geoscienceworld.org...

Hopefully that will keep you out of my hair for at least a little while.
edit on 10-8-2013 by teachtaire because: Go read something troll, I tire of the mendacity of dealing with you.

edit on 10-8-2013 by teachtaire because: not my area of expertise

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join