It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare installs new scrutiny, fines for charitable hospitals that treat uninsured people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Charitable hospitals that treat uninsured Americans will be subjected to new levels of scrutiny of their nonprofit status and could face sizable new fines under Obamacare.

A new provision in Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code, which takes effect under Obamacare, sets new standards of review and installs new financial penalties for tax-exempt charitable hospitals, which devote a minimum amount of their expenses to treat uninsured poor people. Approximately 60 percent of American hospitals are currently nonprofit.

Tell me again how wonderful Obamacare is.

By law hospitals are required to render treatment to any person even uninsured in need, and now by another law they are going to get penalized by doing so.

EMTALA

60% of hospitals in this country are non profit !

“Failure to comply, or to prove this continuing need, could result in the loss of the hospital’s tax-exempt status

So why do the Feds get to profit off your misery?

So why do the Feds get to profit off your ''healthcare'

To pay for all those 'free credits' and other BS because they know full well 30 million new people who couldn't afford healthcare in the first place that will be made up from other people.

In his press conference today Obama said Obamacare was to 'help' the middle class last time I check most middle class already had health insurance.

Bottom line the Care Act will use the IRS to fine anyone who helps the poor kind like what government does already when anyone tries to feed the poor.

Government sure does not like competition which is why they do everything they can to kill charity.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well that's just ridiculous.

Charging fines to non-profits who provide health services to those who actually can't afford it, even under Obamacare?

Wow.

In his press conference today Obama said Obamacare was to 'help' the middle class last time I check most middle class already had health insurance.

Considering there is no middle class anymore, I don't think that's quite true. It'll be even less true once these provisions take place though. Businesses will either start dropping wages, or positions all together to compensate the loss.

There's no public option with Obamacare, which means it's a 100% handout to the insurance lobby.

Effectively he's saying " if you don't pay this super rich corporation their premiums, even if you can't afford it, we'll go after the institutions that do support and help you."

This whole healthcare fiasco gets worse by the day.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So what you're saying is that we should just depend on charity to handle our sick and poor?

Thankfully a lot of people, the president included, disagree with you.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by neo96

So what you're saying is that we should just depend on charity to handle our sick and poor?

Yeah well forming a little gangs and use government to force corporate products on people, and steal from the majority to pay for that corporate product doesn't mean he or his party gives a crap about people.

Think government entitlements takes care of the poor people?

That was hilarious.

I am saying people need to take care of themselves not outsource to government to pay for their existence, and newsflash charity has been taking care of people long before the US government was an inkling in anyone's eyes.
edit on 9-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

What do you think will happen when hospitals have to close because they lose their tax exempt status, To the poor and sick?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Why would they lose their tax exempt status? Because they're putting forth the minimum amount towards their patients or because they're milking the medicaid cash cow?

You're trying to make the argument that these 'charitable' hospitals won't send you a bill if you go see them. That, somehow, we have free health care in this country. Just walk in, get treated, the charity of the hospital will take care of us. What do we need health care reform for? This country's fine, people don't go bankrupt from going to the hospital.

I am saying people need to take care of themselves not outsource to government to pay for their existence...

A million dollars in medical bills? Eh...you can handle it. Lost your job and your kid is sick? Eh...you can handle it.

You need to learn to be socially responsible, you already sound like you've got a handle on personal responsibility.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I see and hear everyone bitching about Obamacare. I have yet to see any of these same people offer up ways to fix it. I'm not talking about, "Go back to how it was." kind of answers either. Our healthcare system in this country NEEDED some tweaking, and obviously Obamacare has serious flaws.

So, until someone wants to offer up some creative ways to fix what was dumped on us in a REAL way, I don't want to hear it. We get it, we all feel it too -- Obamacare isn't going to work out.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

So tell me why I have to fix someone else's mess?

Government involvement is what created the mess so they sure the hell don't have any solutions to fix it.

Between regulation,taxation,malpractice law suits, and unionization of nurses. the added cost for what it takes to educate doctors, and nurses.

There are any number of reasons for the rise of the cost of healthcare that also includes the devaluation of the dollar, but most people will just stop at those bloody evil corporations, insurance corporations are just out to screw people over.

Nay I say the people who have screwed us over THE MOST is the very people who constantly cry how they are out to 'help' us...

edit on 9-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The system was already bad as it, but he can't control his political necrophilism.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I've read your op ed and looked at the requirement itself.

Your op ed seems to be misinformed.

Care to point it out in the actual requirement?

New Requirements for 501(c)(3) Hospitals Under the Affordable Care Act

I'm sure the Rabid Right and us independent thinkers are eager for you to find it.

Or should we wait until Hannity spins it?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Government is a tool of the corporate monopolies that benefit from Stasicare.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Seems like a way to do away with undesirables. If you cant afford insurance and need medical care good luck. The ramifications of Obamacare are frightening.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

reply to post by neo96

What do you think will happen when hospitals have to close because they lose their tax exempt status, To the poor and sick?

Corporate takeover and consolidation I think.

That could be part of the plan.

The Marxist / Corporatist agenda.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This will be hard to do that as the Supreme court when striking down that Obama care could not go after local governments and penalizing them for not expanding Medicaid so non profit hospital will still be looking after those that can not be mandated and can not afford Obama care without Medicaid expansion.

edit on 9-8-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas
reply to post by neo96

I've read your op ed and looked at the requirement itself.

Your op ed seems to be misinformed.

Care to point it out in the actual requirement?

New Requirements for 501(c)(3) Hospitals Under the Affordable Care Act

I'm sure the Rabid Right and us independent thinkers are eager for you to find it.

Or should we wait until Hannity spins it?

Just as soon as you will point out where Hannity was in that article and op.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I see and hear everyone bitching about Obamacare. I have yet to see any of these same people offer up ways to fix it. I'm not talking about, "Go back to how it was." kind of answers either. Our healthcare system in this country NEEDED some tweaking, and obviously Obamacare has serious flaws.

So, until someone wants to offer up some creative ways to fix what was dumped on us in a REAL way, I don't want to hear it. We get it, we all feel it too -- Obamacare isn't going to work out.

I have in old threads and posts.

At this point;

1. repeal entirely.

2. legislate laws addressing one existing problem at a time.

for example, many States were already addressing the 'pre-existing' conditions problem.

simple.

PPACA is too bloated as we are now finding out (and were so warned).

It seems they are changing things as they see their mistakes.

Very dangerous.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Since someone wanted to troll:

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Public Law 111-148 (124 Stat. 119 (2010)) (the “Affordable Care Act” ), enacted section 501 (r) of the Code, which imposes additional requirements on charitable hosp ital organizations. Section 501(r)(1) states that a hospital organization described in section 501(r)(2) will not be treated as a tax-exempt organization described in section 501(c)(3) unless the organization meets the requirements of section 501(r)(3) through 501(r)(6). The Affordable Care Act did not otherwise affect the substantive

standards for tax exemption that charitabl e hospital organizations are required to meet under section 501(c)(3). Section 501(r)(2)(A) defines a hospital organization as: (i) an organization that operates a facility required by a stat e to be licensed, registered, or similarly recognized as a hospital; and (ii) any other organization t hat the Secretary determines has the provision of hospital ca re as its principal function or purpose constituting the basis for its ex emption under section 501(c)(3). Section 501(r)(2)(B)(i) requires a hospi tal organization that operates more than one hospital facility to meet the requirements of section 501(r) separately with respect to each hospital facility. Section 501(r)(2)(B)(ii) provides that a hospital organization will not be treated as described in section 501(c)(3) with respect to any hospital facility for whic h the requirements of section 501(r) are not separately met. Section 501(r)(3) requires a hospital organization to conduct a CHNA at least once every three years and adopt an im plementation strategy to meet the community health needs ident ified through the CHNA. T he CHNA must take into account input from persons who represent the broad interests of the community served by the hospital facility, includi ng those with special knowledge of or expertise in public health. The CHNA must also be made widely available to the public. Section 4959 imposes a $50,000 excise tax on a hospital organization that fails to meet the CHNA requirements for any taxable year. A hospital organization must report the amount of any excise tax imposed on it under 5

www.irs.gov...

Anyone else want to play?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Nice wall of text.

Care to point out were the problem of a Charitable Hospital showing it is a Charity and not a For Profit Hospital is?

Or are you advocating for them not to be questioned?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Still waiting for someone to quote me Hannity in the op.

Waiting...................

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Well, you know, that after the scandal with the IRS going after those that do not fall for the government BS is very possible that our corporate government will make life very hard for those states that are not to follow many parts of the Obamacrap care.

I still believe that states will have the say so on any matter that have to do with treating uninsured people, because is not a federal government issue but local government issue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join