It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Snowden leak shows how the NSA gets away with domestic spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

New Snowden leak shows how the NSA gets away with domestic spying

rt.com

According to the journalists, the latest Snowden leak shows for the first time ever that the NSA can search databases of intelligence collected through Section 702 for the communications of specific US individuals.

“The previously undisclosed rule change allows NSA operatives to hunt for individual Americans' communications using their name or other identifying information,” James Ball and Spencer Ackerman wrote for the Guardian.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Just came across this and thought it would be worth a look. I wasn't sure if this specific information had been posted yet.

Apparently section 702 was put into place to give the NSA the legal grounds to target anyone who is a US citizen.

Hopefully more and more specific information will keep coming in as we move along.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
the NSA can search databases of intelligence collected through Section 702 for the communications of specific US individuals.

Is Section 702 from the Patriot Act?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Nope......It's part of Obamacare!!

Sorry I don't know what it's from and I bet neither do the politicians who signed whatever bill is being discussed here
sign now, read later....

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

the NSA can search databases of intelligence collected through Section 702 for the communications of specific US individuals.

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What I dont get about Snowden and his leaks is this.
Why release a little bit at a time?
Doing so allows the media to play it down etc.

Wouldn't it be better to dump a mother load into the public arena? A massive leak would be difficult for them to control, think of the chaos it would cause?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I guess it really all depends on the content of the information. It could also be that he is going to want specific information to have time to be digested by the public. I have a feeling there are some big revelations coming our way, but who knows when.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail

Here is the relevant section of the patriot act, section 215:

SEC. 215. ACCESS TO RECORDS AND OTHER ITEMS UNDER THE FOR-
EIGN INTELLIGENCE SURVEILLANCE ACT.
Title V of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978
(50 U.S.C. 1861 et seq.) is amended by striking sections 501 through
503 and inserting the following:
‘‘
SEC. 501. ACCESS TO CERTAIN BUSINESS RECORDS FOR FOREIGN
INTELLIGENCE AND INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM INVES-
TIGATIONS.

Patriot Act - PDF

My interpretation of these declarations by Obama is thus; Okay you caught us, but here is why and how weo do this, but we are going to continue doing it..
edit on 9-8-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

That's pretty much what I'm seeing too. The question is, what do we do about it?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Unfortunately, I think it is coming in dribs and drabs so that The Guardian can continue to boost their page hits.
edit on 8/9/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/2013 by Olivine because: I obviously can't spell or type

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine

Unfortunately, I think it is coming in drips and drabs so that The Guardian can continue to boost their page hits.
edit on 8/9/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

That works for me

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
here is part of section 702 and it clearly shows this is not true at all.

(b) Limitations
An acquisition authorized under subsection (a)—
(1) may not intentionally target any person known at the time of acquisition to be located in the United States;
(2) may not intentionally target a person reasonably believed to be located outside the United States if the purpose of such acquisition is to target a particular, known person reasonably believed to be in the United States;
(3) may not intentionally target a United States person reasonably believed to be located outside the United States;
(4) may not intentionally acquire any communication as to which the sender and all intended recipients are known at the time of the acquisition to be located in the United States; and
(5) shall be conducted in a manner consistent with the fourth amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

new topics

top topics

join