It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by votan

Again, you've failed to comprehend what it is you're reading.
The first article alone points out the fact that blacks receive harsher treatment in schools than other races for committing the same act.

From that article:

"Pointing fingers and using the 'racism' word isn't going to get us where we need to go," said Losen, who is white. "But I think we need to acknowledge that there may be general bias against black students."

Here's another link.
[I told you there were plenty more]

In North Carolina, for example, first-time offenders who were black students were more likely to be suspended for minor offenses -- like using cell phones, being disruptive or publicly displaying affection -- than their white counterparts.

Link

A new study suggests that minority students are more likely to be suspended or expelled from school for minor violations than white students. Daniel J. Losen, the author of the report, argues that “the students who miss class time for misbehavior are at a greater risk for missing out on educational opportunities,” and that punishments such as suspension and expulsion are “meted out disproportionately among students of different races, genders, and ethnic groups.”

Link

Originally posted by votan

To give them an equal shot to what?? you wouldn't have to worry about discipline if you behaved!!!!!!!!

True, yet kids will be kids and when blacks and whites are misbehaving in school, more blacks than whites are sent home for suspension. Studies have shown that students that are taken out of school as a form of punishment are more likely drop out than those who receive in-school disciplinary action.

The "equal shot" is a chance to stay in school, to not have their morale deflated by obvious bias. Again, no one is saying there shouldn't be punishment. We're just saying they should receive the same punishment as their Caucasian peers.

edit on 9-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Here is the link from The WhiteHouse.Org

www.whitehouse.gov...

I ask, how is anyone not seeing the utter racial bias in this??
edit on 9-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
reply to post by votan

Again, you've failed to comprehend what it is you're reading.
The first article alone points out the fact that blacks receive harsher treatment in schools than other races
for committing the same act.

From that article:

"Pointing fingers and using the 'racism' word isn't going to get us where we need to go," said Losen, who is white. "But I think we need to acknowledge that there may be general bias against black students."

Here's another link.
[I told you there were plenty more]

In North Carolina, for example, first-time offenders who were black students were more likely to be suspended for minor offenses -- like using cell phones, being disruptive or publicly displaying affection -- than their white counterparts.

Link

A new study suggests that minority students are more likely to be suspended or expelled from school for minor violations than white students. Daniel J. Losen, the author of the report, argues that “the students who miss class time for misbehavior are at a greater risk for missing out on educational opportunities,” and that punishments such as suspension and expulsion are “meted out disproportionately among students of different races, genders, and ethnic groups.”

Link

No I comprehended that. It still doesn't tell me how many times they committed the same infraction before they handed out a harsher punishments.

lets say i steal some candy and i get a verbal.. I do it again... then i get a note sent home, then i get a talking to by parents and teachers, then I get suspended , and then I get expelled.

lets say before i get expelled.

you steal a piece of candy and you get a verbal
I steal a candy along with you and i am at the expelled stage.

so did they favor your?? or was it that i was at a different level already??
Seemingly they did since i got treated differently for the same infraction.

It says a new study says... well what study? what were the circumstances?? what was their data?? did the suspensions for minor infractions come to students who had a history??

A clip there says first time offenders were treated harsher. that says something but is that the norm?? Does that practice happen more often than not?? Does it have something to do with stereotyping due to the past??

Some teachers can see trouble makers coming and like to nip stuff in the bud and they will do this. This alleges that it was more often in minorities?? well do minorities cause more problems than others?? honest question.

That really isn't proof.. i mean maybe proof to you. Honestly I am open for new information telling me I am wrong but this isn't proof. You may take it as proof but it really isn't.

If i find an article that says a study says other wise but it gives you no data would you believe?? If you have been here long enough you should know that studies can be bias...

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

True, yet kids will be kids and when blacks and whites are misbehaving in school, more blacks than whites are sent home for suspension.

You do realizes that your statement seems to say that more black kids than white kids are misbehaving?

Where's the proof that more black kids are disciplined more harshly after fewer warnings than white kids in the same school?

Until I see the data, it's just people saying things. In the past, when people have just been saying things , and data is not provided, it's usually pretty far divorced from the truth.
edit on 9-8-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

No I comprehended that. It still doesn't tell me how many times they committed the same infraction before they handed out a harsher punishments.

It doesn't? Because I could've sworn I read that "first time offenders" who were black received harsher treatment than whites.

Yep. There it is.

If i find an article that says a study says other wise but it gives you no data would you believe?? If you have been here long enough you should know that studies can be bias...

And teachers can't? The entire educational system can't? GMAFB

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

You do realizes that your statement seems to say that more black kids than white kids are misbehaving?

Taken completely out of context, it may. However if you factored in the fact that the study was in reference to first-time offenders, then you'd begin to see a pattern of bias on behalf of the system.

At the same time, data suggests that there's little evidence that black children exhibit higher rates of actual deviance than white children. That suggests a cultural causation where a largely white teaching corps may be applying hidden prejudices in discipline, says Professor Skiba. “We've had teachers tell us that there are different forms of white defiance and black defiance, and they're bothered more by black defiance,” he says.

Link

Study Link

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
First of all.

African-American students are over 3½ times more likely to be suspended or expelled than their peers who are white.
*The data in this document, while covering about 85% of the nation’s public school students, are not intended to be an estimation of national data. All data in the CRDC are self-reported.

Second of all:

1 out of 8 students in the CRDC sample (12%) has a disability—4.7 million served by IDEA and over 400,000 are served by Section 504 only. Nearly 18% of them are African-American males.

African-American students represent 18% of students in the CRDC sample

Third of all:

Asians/Pacific Islanders are suspended much less frequently than whites according to this source.

Does that mean people hate whites more than Asians?

Or does it suggest that Asians, on average, have the most discipline?

FOURTHLY:

Neither of your sources state anything about this data being exclusive to first-time offenders.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

For the first-time offense of cell phone use at school, 32% of black students were given out-of-school suspension, school data collected in 2010 showed, while less than 15% of white students received that same punishment for the same offense. For a first-time offense of public display of affection, according to the report, almost 43% of the accused black students were given out-of-school suspension, compared to about 15% of white students.

“These tremendous racial disparities, when we are looking at first-time offenders for minor offenses, are shocking,” University of California at Los Angeles Civil Rights Project researcher Daniel Losen said Tuesday, when he unveiled the report at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

I'm not going to show you the respect of engaging in an argument with you if you're going to ignore 3 points and then try to refute 1 with an article from the huffington post

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Does anyone not know that the POTUS is racist? I think most of us clued in as soon as he started talking about the Martin/Zimmerman case.

Equal rights are supposed to be equal right?

God, How do people not see what this is really about! Divide and conquer!
Giving special consideration to blacks will result in racial bias by all other races
being judged more harshly! This will increase racial tensions and lead to more
incidents of white on black violence which is exactly what the powers that be want!

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I'm not going to show you the respect of engaging in an argument with you if you're going to ignore 3 points and then try to refute 1 with an article from the huffington post

It was actually an article from PublicIntegrity.org.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Obviously if the school has more Blacks, then more blacks are going to break the rules. Just as if the school has more Whites, more Whites are going to break the rules, Hispanics, Asians ect. It's called .........commonsense! Is that so hard for the brainwashed herded morons of all the cultures who now call the USA home to comprehend, is it really?

Don't be a misled robot of the mainstream media. Don't participate in the yes man, apologist agenda of the deciders who are against all of us average people who just want to live a normal life and be happy.

To all the people of the World. Focus now, and just read between the lies of division my friends, just read between their lies of division. Maybe in the future we can all truly make a change and just live in peace. Maybe finally one day we can all escape their chains and just live a god life like we all want to live. ~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

It doesn't? Because I could've sworn I read that "first time offenders" who were black received harsher treatment than whites.

Yep. There it is.

And teachers can't? The entire educational system can't? GMAFB

If your not there then you don't know what context this disciplinary actions were handed out for!
Maybe these black students were more aggressive then their white counterparts with those that
were disciplining them! I realize none of us really know what went on because we were not there
but I can't imagine these educators handing out harsher sentences dependent on the color of ones skin
and not the content of their character!

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

It was actually an article from PublicIntegrity.org.

Oh, sorry, I was going by the one you actually sourced.

You quoted this:

Which is from HERE

And it's in reference to THIS STUDY

Which absolutely does not have that data or any quote of the sort in there.

Now, link me that PublicIntergrity article so I can show you the parts that they made up on the spot there, too.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Also, I'd like to point out... every time I went to the principals office, no matter how minor the disturbance, I received a suspension.

It certainly wasn't because I was white.

It was because I was mouthy and unapologetic.

At that age, I would've been getting suspended just as much as these black kids; especially for the "issues" they are being disciplined for.

Public displays of affection? What an incredibly retarded thing to punish someone for. They certainly wouldn't have been getting away from that disciplinary action without a mouthful from me.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Now, link me that PublicIntergrity article so I can show you the parts that they made up on the spot there, too.

Oh, because you have numbers to the contrary?

Link

Here's another if you like.

Link

Also, I'd like to point out... every time I went to the principals office, no matter how minor the disturbance, I received a suspension.

It certainly wasn't because I was white.

It was because I was mouthy and unapologetic.

At that age, I would've been getting suspended just as much as these black kids; especially for the "issues" they are being disciplined for.

Public displays of affection? What an incredibly retarded thing to punish someone for. They certainly wouldn't have been getting away from that disciplinary action without a mouthful from me.

That's funny, because back when I was in high school I got into a tussle with a black kid, and it was my second offense, his first, and I was given in-school-suspension (ISS) for a day, while he was sent home for 3 days.
I'm arguing this point so vigorously because I've seen it happen, and even back then I was appalled.

edit on 9-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I guess it's true when they say Obama is the most divisive president in our history.

He really divides the racists from the non-racists, I mean almost weekly there is a thread where racists crawl out of the woodwork to spew their venom across these boards and the worst of it all, most of the time those are the posts that receive the most praise around here.

So are you saying he is racist or not? Or do you like to ride the fence for praise?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh look another ODS "Obama derangement syndrome" thread..I swear if the man came up with the cure for cancer you all would crap all over it..The pres is trying to improve the lives of young Black youths,and you damn him for that??..Hate is not good for the Heart..Ltr,.Teabots..

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
this eloquent gentleman points out that inner city schools do receive less funding. libraries are often non-existent, that kind of thing

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Oh, because you have numbers to the contrary?

I don't have the burden of proof on claims that I'm not making, genius. You do because you're making them.

I'm not saying the numbers are wrong, either. Reading comprehension is obviously something you could work on.

Link

This source references the same article as it's source of the same fallacious information that is notin Losen's article whatsoever.

Still zero data to back up that these were first-time offenders.

Here's another if you like.

Link

This one has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm asking you to source. Where's your head at?

That's funny, because back when I was in high school I got into a tussle with a black kid, and it was my second offense, his first, and I was given in-school-suspension (ISS) for a day, while he was sent home for 3 days.
I'm arguing this point so vigorously because I've seen it happen, and even back then I was appalled.

Oh really? You participated in 4 pages of this discussion and now your personal anecdote suddenly appears? Really believable.

I'm sure you were both questioned in the same room and the black kid was totally polite and accepting and you were absrasive and hot-headed, too?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join