It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
reply to post by undo

www.whitehouse.gov...

supporting efforts to improve the recruitment, preparation, development, and retention of successful African American teachers and school leaders and other effective teachers and school leaders responsible for the education of African American students;

A good idea, no?

LOL...yeah. It's a great idea. It's something "they've" been talking about and talking about and talking about, and legislating about, and funding funding funding for decades. Nothing new here.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

reply to post by butcherguy

There are other E.O.s with initiatives for other minority races. What's your point?

Pretty simple.

We need a colorblind society, not one that singles out races for different treatment. Not too tough is it?

Maybe a thousand years from now, we will all be color blind. But with posts like some of the ones I've seen on this thread (black thugs would rather deal drugs then get an education), we are not there yet. Until we get there, minorities may need a little help to get an equal playing field.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

People will ignore that and focus on the black only issue...nice find

link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Where have you been the last 20 years? They've had an equal playing field for a long time. The problem is their socialization or lack thereof from their parents has taught them they don't have to try, coz the gov'ment goan take care of 'em.

An equal playing field for 20 years? When did it become equal then?

Good point!

Nearly 50 years ago, Affirmative Action was used to 'level the playing field', giving minorities a boost when applying for certain jobs and colleges.

link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

No! That is not the way to deal with anyone! Folks need to understand the value of education and a job. I do not know how to go about doing that, but anyone who has had a job they like knows how good they feel going to it and when they get off going home and reaping the benefits of their pay check.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

www.whitehouse.gov...

supporting efforts to improve the recruitment, preparation, development, and retention of successful African American teachers and school leaders and other effective teachers and school leaders responsible for the education of African American students;

A good idea, no?

not really because there's no mention of changing the curriculum to fit the problem. an effective teacher in a suburb is not an effective teacher in a city. first, they should not be teaching those kids in a closed class room. they need hands on, active, interesting teaching. and if you recruit a successful african american teacher and then tell her/his students that they can behave improperly based on quotas, that successful african american teacher will quit, faster than you can spell "quit."
edit on 9-8-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

So if a white guy and a black guy apply for a job after 50 years of failed affirmative action, the white guy loses because why.... his great-great-grandfather wasn't a slave owner?

Making the great-great-grandson pay for the 'non-sins' of the father! That's wonderful.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

No! That is not the way to deal with anyone! Folks need to understand the value of education and a job. I do not know how to go about doing that, but anyone who has had a job they like knows how good they feel going to it and when they get off going home and reaping the benefits of their pay check.

Well, Obama's executive order has some good goals toward that. Not sure those goals can actually be realized, but they ARE good goals.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Is there another specific EO for Asians?

reply to post by groingrinder

No. Asians are motivated to learn and succeed in life.

Asian Initiative

Wow, I dropped the ball badly on that one! But I still think Asians are more motivated to learn and succeed than anyone else.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

There are other E.O.s with initiatives for other minority races. What's your point?

Pretty simple.

We need a colorblind society, not one that singles out races for different treatment. Not too tough is it?

Maybe a thousand years from now, we will all be color blind. But with posts like some of the ones I've seen on this thread (black thugs would rather deal drugs then get an education), we are not there yet. Until we get there, minorities may need a little help to get an equal playing field.

Your kidding right?

This is all about being insecure.. Its not rocket science, there are black thugs, a very high number of them actually.. You can drive down any ghetto, in any city and see them on the street corner or loitering the corner store selling controlled substances.. ITS a FACT...

Has nothing to do with colorless laws or colorless executive orders.. If anything needs to be done, it needs to be cleaning up the neighborhoods, getting the thugs off the street perhaps, and trying to clean that up, not create laws that entitled races in public schools, and take from other races that may need that help as well.. It should be colorless when it comes to legislation executive orders etc, for the welfare of our children...

Yet if you want to be an old hen on ats so be it.. I am just asking you to listen.. All that are reading to listen, this is wrong, for society and the ethnic group.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Pretty simple.

Really. You need to dig a little deeper and perhaps take the blinders off and examine the reality of cause and effect. I would venture to say that there is not one person who has posted on this thread that doesn't feel a genuine heartfelt agony over the plight of the youth of the black society. But, being politically correct and refusing to face the hard reality of just what is contributing to it within the progressive agenda isn't helping anybody, especially those most effected.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

So if a white guy and a black guy apply for a job after 50 years of failed affirmative action, the white guy loses because why.... his great-great-grandfather wasn't a slave owner?

Making the great-great-grandson pay for the 'non-sins' of the father! That's wonderful.

This thread isn't about affirmative action regarding applying for a job. It's about making sure schools in lower income primarily black neighborhoods get as much funding as the "richer" white schools (because many of them don't currently). It's about looking into what other reasons may be causing the problems in primarily black schools, and dealing with those problems. It's about trying to raise the bar for African Americans so they are more successful, more productive citizens. Admirable goals.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

I see. So you are in favor of the "gas showers" I posted about earlier, huh? Fine, take all the thugs off the street, what do you think will happen? They'll just make more thugs. Lots of money spent on rounding up all the thugs. No money left to spend on trying to prevent the thugs in the first place. Makes sense to me.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i think we need to go back to trade guilds, where people joined the type of guild that provided training in the area they wanted to succeed in. there at least, they'd be able to learn something they actually wanted to know.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The president focuses on race, on issues that divide. And instead of trying to bridge that divide, he produces these EO's that only increase division.
The Obama-fans come on here, call anyone who disagrees racist, and mock the idea of equal oppourtunity.

ANY issue that focuses on just whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Greys, what-have-you, will only increase the divisive nature of our culture.

Unfortunately, we have a small, weak man as president that can't look past the colour of skin to form an opinion.

It says a lot about the content of his character.

I am discouraged by the posts of some members who race-bait and can't see past the coattails of their "dear leader".

Beezer It's called identity politics put people in to a box and define their entire existence from it for nothing more than the power of their vote.

Don't be too discouraged there are quite of lot of us out here who see it for what it is.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
i think we need to go back to trade guilds, where people joined the type of guild that provided training in the area they wanted to succeed in. there at least, they'd be able to learn something they actually wanted to know.

I love that idea. College is not for everybody. And, I think a stronger focus on better mentor programs would help.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Maybe read up a little on the school to prison pipeline statistics. Maybe then some people will understand that this EO from a year ago is more Obama fluff, no teeth to it whatsoever which is sad because the disproportionate disciplinary actions taken against black students is a real issue.

link   

It's not just black's who are enamored by the 'thug' lifestyle. Look at how it is glamorized through popular music.

However I am tired of the double standard, look at Riley Cooper(white NFL player) who said the N work and someone filmed him. People were demanding he get fined and suspended for saying one word that blacks drop all the time. When is the last time a black athlete found him/herself in hot water for saying any slang word that pertains to whites, hispanics, or any other race?

Government jobs will still hire a lesser experienced black person over a white person all day long. I am all for equality, that is being given an equal chance based on the skills you bring to the table, not your skin color. Nobody wins when a lesser qualified person is hired to meet the quota.

link   

Originally posted by queenofswords

I love that idea. College is not for everybody. And, I think a stronger focus on better mentor programs would help.

and instead of giving people tax breaks for supporting the trade guild (cause they will anyway, for the cheaper labor), give them tax breaks for hiring the graduates of the trade guilds.
edit on 9-8-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

link   

I agree with you and Queen of Words...this is how they do it in Europe, I believe. You are tested at a young age and receive a few more tests ( sorta like our ACT's or SAT's) and placed in a trade or college based on ability or potential.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join