It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep
[mo
It's gunna take an alien invasion for everyone to get together and put everything aside...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Divide and conquer.
Divide and conquer.
Divide and conquer.
It's the best example of "Keep it Simple Stupid" (punctuation optional)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
WTH???

So the father of of one of the ba****** that jumped the white younger teen in Florida was questioned outside the courtroom today and said:

"Well, he had consequences. (Who is 'he'? His son or the victim?)

"This just how things go, ya know...this is the way it is..." (WOW)

"All I can say is that my son said he is sorry..he not a bad person..." (WOW)

Unbelievable...

and the ba****** are only getting 9 months probation

edit on 13-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
When you really think about this, this is actually going to go AGAINST black kids in the end.

But before that happens, it's going to help to wreck what's left of America's school system from the inside.

Other ethnic or non-Afro-American students (inc white kids) will become hapless victims of whatever the more off the rails black kids dish out with impunity.

The grades and performance of the entire range of kids, whatever their parentage will go down.

Teachers and staff will feel impotent and unable to keep order in schools, their hands will be tied as far as action against unruly black kids goes and will be required in a legal sense to just suffer whatever black students decide to dish out at school, as they will have to observe the 'quota' or face action against themselves or their school.

The black kids will lose out ultimately too, as they will soon discover they no longer are operating under the same rules as the rest of the student body, and can act almost without consequences...they won't have to work or try to get along with others or behave, and they will end up producing even worse results than before.

All the while, setting up a divisive wedge between black kids and others that will last for life.

Way to go Barrack...you total numpty.

You have done more to create a lifelong racial division in America with this racist order, than anything else in living memory. By effectively separating the black kids into a specific group apart from their peers, you've just stabbed black kids in the front and the back and at the same time every other kid in the country.

Expect big trouble from this move...i've a feeling a short time down the road, this will become clear in society.

To imagine the chaos that will come as a result of this really, really stupid policy...imagine this order was in favour of white kids and you'll begin to see how damaging to American society this is going to be.

Doesn't America have race laws?

Surely this breaks the majority of them in one fell swoop? If Obamas order is racist, that is an impeachable offence..it has to be. The POTUS is expected to obey all laws just as any member of the public has to, even more so actually.

I still can't get over how stupid this order actually is...unless the intention is to cultivate racial divide and inequality...then it makes perfect sense.

edit on 14-8-2013 by MysterX because: added info

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by ButterCookie

...and it is the liberal 'race-obsessed' attitdes that I am trying to combat.

If it's the liberals that are so race obsessed - how is it so much of what you post is about race?

I have been trying to get some on here to see that race is not a reason to be a victim, and that environment and upbringing shape your outcome early in life.

Is that what you've been doing? Well balanced - and so timely

:-)
edit on 8/13/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

I do because I don't understand their obsession with racism, I point it out so that people are aware when they are manipulated by it, and I commentate on it...That's what happens on a social site about social issues.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

So much irony - so little time

toodles ButterCookie

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

So much irony - so little time

toodles ButterCookie

It seems that you want to keep up drama and confusion- I actually don't think you even understood my position on this Executive Order and how it petains to getting to the real root of the bad behavior in any student anyway....I will much rather keep this discussion on topic with the members that have interest in keeping it on topic.

Toodles to you as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It seems that you want to keep up drama and confusion- I actually don't think you even understood my position on this Executive Order and how it petains to getting to the real root of the bad behavior in any student anyway....I will much rather keep this discussion on topic with the members that have interest in keeping it on topic.

You go off-road often enough in your own thread :-)

But, never mind that - I understand your position - I just don't agree with it

I know I don't disagree the way you want me to - but, it shouldn't bother you. The crowd is with you - you'll survive a dissenter or two

I'm not after drama - but I am interested in some direct, honest, meaningful, back and forth - and I love a good argument

Short of that (since we always seem to come up short) I'm always up for some banter - and some humor

Sigh...

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I've read this Executive Order through and through and can find nothing within that gives African American children a pass on deviant behavior.

One has to wonder how this EO will affect school closings such as this?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Section 6 seems to imply that Black students are receiving more disciplinary actions due to the color of their skin rather than their behavior and that conversely students of other races and ethnicity should get more disciplinary actions so as not to be disparate.

If you believe that, then I am sure you don't see what some of us are talking about.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I'm not after drama - but I am interested in some direct, honest, meaningful, back and forth - and I love a good argument

Exactly, without some intelligent and well thought out discussion from all sides then how are we supposed to learn from each other.
How else are we supposed to expand our own horizons of knowledge and understanding?

Reading books can get a bit lonely, and boring.
edit on 16-8-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Section 6 seems to imply that Black students are receiving more disciplinary actions due to the color of their skin rather than their behavior and that conversely students of other races and ethnicity should get more disciplinary actions so as not to be disparate.

If you believe that, then I am sure you don't see what some of us are talking about.

Can you cite the specific passage that says all other races should receive more punishment so that they're disciplined as severely as blacks? Seems to me this EO is calling for "equal" treatment.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Most people in this thread are absolutely positive that black students aren't punished more frequently and more harshly, a few of us recognize it as a mirror to what qualifies as our justice system.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul

Can you cite the specific passage that says all other races should receive more punishment so that they're disciplined as severely as blacks? Seems to me this EO is calling for "equal" treatment.

Equal Disciplinary rates based on Race and no other factors......what a GREAT idea.

(vi) reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools, and by supporting successful and innovative dropout prevention and recovery strategies that better engage African American youths in their learning, help them catch up academically, and provide those who have left the educational system with pathways to reentry;

dis·pa·rate

Adjective Essentially different in kind; not allowing comparison.

Noun Things so unlike that there is no basis for comparison.

Synonyms different - dissimilar - unlike

So if the Disciplinary methods used are so disparate towards African American youths, what conclusion do you draw from that?

I draw two:

A. African American youths are disciplined at a rate that allows for NO Comparison to other groups. The conclusion I draw from the E.O. is that they are disciplined at that high rate solely because of the color of their skin, not other factors. and

B. Creating a climate where those rates would not be so disparate, ie either greatly lowering the amount of disciplinary measures towards African Americans or greatly increasing the rate at which other groups are disciplined so as there would be no disparity between any of the groups.

The whole premise that the reason African Americans highschool dropout rates are high is due to being overly disciplined and not having a positive school environment is laughable.

Very progressive thinking there.............

Like someone else stated here.... insert Economically Disadvantaged every time you see African American in the order and I don't have a problem with the order. The African American Students at my son's High School would take offense to be painted with such a label as described in the E.O. They are Black, but not in the least part poor, nor being prone to disciplinary actions. Break the poverty cycle and you solve lots of problems, ie better educated workforce and citizenry, less people committing crimes, less broken families ect. ect.

edit on 16-8-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Most people in this thread are absolutely positive that black students aren't punished more frequently and more harshly, a few of us recognize it as a mirror to what qualifies as our justice system.

I don't dispute that "SOME" black students are punished more frequently and harshly, but that has EVERYTHING to do with Behavior, not the color of their skin.

By your logic shouldn't Indian Students be disciplined at a much higher rate?

Again, it's economic situation, not skin color............ sigh.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I see nothing more than an executive order addressing a documented issue in the United States school system.
Blacks are punished more severely than other races, including hispanics, and since those punishments often include days off via suspension, then the statistical chance that those students will dropout increases.

Numerous studies have shown that out-of-school punishments increase a child's chance at dropping out.

I find it interesting that those who claim there is no racial issue, no open racism in America, immediately conclude that this EO is an act of racism.

On to your point about the economically disadvantaged. I agree with you. However, will these school-improving measures not benefit all children? Those whites and hispanics attending poor schools will surely use the libraries and computers that are to be added to these inner city facilities. Do you not agree?

edit on 16-8-2013 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

So I've read. The astounding number of stars and the lack of research on page one of this thread is extraordinarily telling as to the direction America is moving.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
I find it interesting that those who claim there is no racial issue, no open racism in America, immediately conclude that this EO is an act of racism.

On to your point about the economically disadvantaged. I agree with you. However, will these school-improving measures not benefit all children? Those whites and hispanics attending poor schools will surely use the libraries and computers that are to be added to these inner city facilities. Do you not agree?

I have never claimed no racial issues in America and I don't think others here have either. I'm not saying the EO is an "act of racism" either, but it certainly leaves me with the impression that the major problems A.A. students have in school are mainly based on the color of their skin more than any other factor, which is totally missing the point. There are a myriad of issues that have caused the gap in learning and quite frankly race is probably not even in the top 10 of reasons. It's a poverty issue and overall lack of focus on basic education, by all parties concerned, IMO. Look at No Child left behind. Besides not funding it enough via government, we had the school system up in arms over wanting to test and have our students meet minimum education thresholds. Like having those standards were such a wacky idea and not realistic. If "racial equality", whatever that means, were to occur in the school system, we would still the education gap we are talking about. To say otherwise is totally missing the point, which is why our school systems are so messed up in the first place.

In an age where where knowledge "is" power, we are slipping academically backwards as a nation in the global scheme of things. I would rather have all our leaders work on the real causes of that slipping backwards rather than make up reasons why they are the way they are. It's laughable to me that after decades of research and I am sure Billions of dollars spent on said research, we are still no closer to fixing our Education system.

On your second point we agree, perhaps for different reasons though. Yes I would like to benefit all economically disadvantage youth equally by improving the school system for all of them. I'm even for devoting extra attention to those who really need it.

I'm just tired of some of the stuff in the EO that imply it's race, not poverty that is causing the main problems with our education system. Our priorities in the fixing our education system seem to not be working, given the relative lack in overall improvement. I would contend and suggest to you that perhaps we are not really identifying the real issues that confront our educational system. I think we are aiming at the wrong targets when it comes to our Education system, which is why the problems still persist.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I'm just tired of some of the stuff in the EO that imply it's race, not poverty that is causing the main problems with our education system. Our priorities in the fixing our education system seem to not be working, given the relative lack in overall improvement. I would contend and suggest to you that perhaps we are not really identifying the real issues that confront our educational system. I think we are aiming at the wrong targets when it comes to our Education system, which is why the problems still persist.
reply to post by pavil

So we've reached the heart of your concerns. The problem is that poverty and race go hand-in-hand in this nation.
A minority's resume is more likely to be looked over than a white's. A black man is more likely to be passed up for a promotion than his Caucasian co-worker. The latter even applies to military promotion.

These stunting measures keep blacks in poverty, and this poverty leads to overworked parents whom can't stay home to properly parent their children, and this, of course, leads to unruly children in school.

These factors only add to more AA children acting out, but it still doesn't explain why a black child using a cell phone in school should receive a 1-3 day vacation whilst his white peers receive little more than a slap on the wrist.

You're blaming this issue on poverty. I, on the other hand, do not think race or poverty are mutually exclusive.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by kaylaluv

i think what's bad is the way they teach people with problems. poverty stricken neighborhoods, whether white, black, red or yellow, always have more problems in school, and that is because their parents are either messed up themselves, or it's a single parent home and the single parent is working her/his butt off trying to survive in this crazy economy. they can expect problems when they try to teach them in the same manner as they teach more affluent schools, where the students have 2 parents with educations, time to invest and teach the child about social behaviors and etc.

let's look at this from the perspective of a dog. dogs are like humans, in that if they don't spend quality time with their moms as puppies, they end up having problems socializing with other life forms and become unruly and demanding. this problem surfaces most aggregiously in puppy mills, where the puppy is taken from its mother almost immediately after birth. that's our society in a nut shell. if public school systems are going to act as surrogates for the original mom, they better start with understanding their students and tailoring the classes.

It's the same the world over - we have sink estates in the UK where not even working class parents would dare to live. Children don't even come to school having breakfast. They don't even know to speak clear English. By the time they leave school at 16 they still don't know how to use a computer, type at a keyboard or send/receive e-mail. Our schools stopped teaching arithmetic, particularly sums and series, simple and compound interest, never mind mathematics, chemistry or biology. The politicians claimed they were "providing a complete review of the curriculum for the 21st Century".

I believe it was done because they couldn't afford qualified teachers and to make sure the population didn't know how they were being ripped off by low savings interest rates and high credit card rates. It's far easier to control people if they don't know you are reducing their quality of life, then you can claim to make the future better.

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33 >>

join