It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

It should've included all children, and maybe it eventually will, but a call for lifting a singled out group of youths up to the equal level of another is in no way "racist."

When you write an Executive Order and have it apply to only one race....

It is inherently racist.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fylgje
The Obama admin. and his pals are probably doing the same thing with altering crime stats. So basically, this is just a big cover-up, no?
edit on 12-8-2013 by Fylgje because: to add

and here it is:

Crime will begin to be excused

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

It should've included all children, and maybe it eventually will, but a call for lifting a singled out group of youths up to the equal level of another is in no way "racist."

When you write an Executive Order and have it apply to only one race....

It is inherently racist.

Executive Order 13230

Originally posted by ButterCookie

The Obama admin. and his pals are probably doing the same thing with altering crime stats. So basically, this is just a big cover-up, no?

and here it is:

Yeah because wasting tax dollars and limited prison space on potheads is going break society.

edit on 12-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I didn't state that I was against this..just was showing the poster that what they had said is coming into fruition.

I agree that nonviolent crimes (such as possesion ) should not be punished by harsh sentences.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Wow, absolutely ridiculous, however sadly expected.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Thomas Sowell is PHENOMENAL

He is speaking in this video on the issue of preferential treatment of black students against Joe Biden in the1980's...

Listen to him:

and here

edit on 12-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Thomas Sowell:

" The Welfare system and gov’t programs pay people to fail..

When they fail, they receive money…

When they succeed, even just a little bit, money is taken away…

and this seeps into the school systems: they give money to schools with low test scores.

when the school improves its education, the money is taken away."

I DARE someone to attempt to deconstruct this argument.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

First I did't jump to page 23, that where my reply ended up. Apparent this is a popular thread.

Secondly, I just read all of the posts on the first page and none of them contain an answer to my question. And it did indeed seem even through the following pages of the thread that there were people who either hadn't read it, misunderstood it, or were misrepresenting it to justify their opinions.

and to your quote of the EO...That paragraph it merely stating that perhaps there should be better ways to curb behavioral issues other than the traditional means. Are to familiar with the definition of the word "disparate"? It's not by any means giving anyone a free pass to act up. It's saying that when they do act up the punishment should fit the infraction.

Is this your only issue with it?

You have to admit by and large inner city school pretty much suck and are much worse in comparison of their suburban couterparts. This is simply an attempt to help those schools and their students, who are disproportionately African American.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reply to post by ButterCookie

Thomas Sowell:

" The Welfare system and gov’t programs pay people to fail..

When they fail, they receive money…

When they succeed, even just a little bit, money is taken away…

and this seeps into the school systems: they give money to schools with low test scores.

when the school improves its education, the money is taken away."

I DARE someone to attempt to deconstruct this argument.

Let's start with the fact that it isn't true.

Funding is increased with schools with higher test scores, and this is even present in colleges these days.
It's called "Performance-based Funding."

On to the former of your comment:

The "Welfare System" was designed as a safety net, not a way of life. Do some people take advantage of this safety net? Sure. There will always be cheaters.
As long as there are banks, there will always be bank robbers. Hell the Fed is the biggest thief in the history of this planet. That aside; just because some bank robbers are making a living off of the system, you wouldn't close every bank of the Earth.

I bet you're a proponent for "trickle down economics", aren't you? Do away with Government Assist programs and let the system feed itself. Right?

Considering Red States are the most consistently high users of Social Programs, I wonder if you still feel that stance on economy building works?

I know what Sowell believes (before you run off and grab another quote or two). I'm interested in your own opinions on this matter. Do you have any?

edit on 12-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I totally agree with Sowell, and that's why I quoted those lines from his video.

Along with the family structure being destroyed by liberal policies, people (such a yourself) refuse to let go of the victim mentality and act vigorously to catch any 'run-a-way' slaves who attempt to leave the plantation.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Why do they continue to make excuses?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I totally agree with Sowell, and that's why I quoted those lines from his video.

Along with the family structure being destroyed by liberal policies, people (such as yourself) refuse to let go of the victim mentality and act vigorously to catch any 'run-a-way' slaves who attempt to leave the plantation.

"Liberal Policies" are what got African Americans off of that Plantation. That's what you fail to understand, and it's something Sowell never talks about because he, like many others, are fueled by an agenda.

Northern Liberal Democrats and Liberal Conservatives, as well as regular Conservatives were the tripod that supported slavery abolishment. You've got in your mind this idea that all 19th Century Democrats were racists, but this isn't the case at all.

The truth is, during the Civil War, the Southern States (I.E. the "racist" states) had about a 0% republican population, while the northern states were divided into Republicans (who were considered Liberal back then) and "Liberal" Democrats. These southern dems, who used to hunt republicans and freedmen, were made up of whites, hispanics, and even blacks. That's right. The original Klan had black members. Some 20,000 to be exact.

The funny thing is, during the 30s-70s, the Southern States and the Northern States, while retaining their ideology, slowly began swapping political parties, and this change is still going on. 20 years ago most democrats wouldn't have supported gay marriage, but today only a fraction do not. Meanwhile, the GOP, the original pushers for "freedom", wish to curb any efforts to allow gays the same rights afforded to other Americans, and they're also pushing more and more to remove women's rights. This is that swap you keep trying to deny, though any political map from the 1860s-today will show I'm right.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

and here it is:

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Crimes are not going to "begin to be excused." Non-crimes are going to begin to receive less harsh punishment. And only for NON-VIOLENT drug crimes, like possession. After all, a crime is only a crime if there is a victim. A long overdue and beneficial development for the US justice system.

Typical conservative spin. Watch out for it guys. Without truth there is no democracy.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It's not just Obama-ANY person who advocates not disciplining children of ANY race is either a blithering idiot-or is purposefully trying to sabotage that child/children's entire future.From BEING disciplined as a child,we learn self-discipline,self respect,respect for others.

Anf for a president to make a statement like this,is just surreal.

He has effectively stated that he wants black children to grow up as lawless unruly and disrespectful to others,unlikeable and unemployable.Because that is the end for those who are strangers to the concept of discipline and self-discipline-they end up as adults in the real world-unemployable and unemployed.

Anyone who has the slightest regard for children would Never advocate that they not be disciplined.

But then,he HAS visited SA recently-perhaps he decided to take a page out of our genius government's book.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
It's not just Obama-ANY person who advocates not disciplining children of ANY race is either a blithering idiot-or is purposefully trying to sabotage that child/children's entire future.From BEING disciplined as a child,we learn self-discipline,self respect,respect for others.

Anf for a president to make a statement like this,is just surreal.

He has effectively stated that he wants black children to grow up as lawless unruly and disrespectful to others,unlikeable and unemployable.Because that is the end for those who are strangers to the concept of discipline and self-discipline-they end up as adults in the real world-unemployable and unemployed.

Anyone who has the slightest regard for children would Never advocate that they not be disciplined.

But then,he HAS visited SA recently-perhaps he decided to take a page out of our genius government's book.

Read the actual Executive Order. For the love of GOD, please read the EO. Don't read the article in the OP. That article has already been debunked as factually incorrect. Read the EO. It's not calling for a free pass on punishment. It's calling for African American students to be treated equally to whites in regards to school discipline, because study after study has proven that they aren't.

It's also calling for inner city schools to receive the same funding and resources as all other schools, so that those students have the same opportunities at success that others have.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Please stop with the "same opportunites" rhetoric...they have the same opportunity, thanks to the Republican Party and the Brown v Board of Education..

The dispursement of funding is fair...the city or county taxes pay for schools in specific districts...Again, this is fair. The outcome is only different because of the tax-paying base in each district. You cannot expect a school in an area of low-income and welfare recipients to receive the same funding (ie 'taxes') as one in a community where there is a working or a weathy class....because they are paying more taxes.

The root of the funding issues lies withthin the tax-paying base of each community. It IS Equal.

If the parents in the low-income communites want more funding for the schools in their areas, they must make more money to pay the higher taxes ( this is where having an education, skills, and not a long rap-sheet come into effect).

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Also, I don't want my thread derailed to discuss the political parties' agendas, but I would definitely LOVE to discuss and debate them.

Can you create a thread on that issue so that we can fully discuss it there?

I absolutely disagree with you on the magical 'party-switch' and the agendas of the parties, and sincerely do want to rationally debate this.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Oddly, I agree. The school should just call the cops and let them arrest said student.

Had TM been arrested for theft or substances, he'd have been unlikely to do the behavior that got him in trouble later in the development.

Instead, the school tried to handle it internally.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Someone just looked into the EO and told me that it does nothing of the kind.

However, why does BO have to issue and EO, doing an end run around the congress to promote opportunity for black students, regardless of the actual content?

An EO should be, imo, reserved for the gravest of emergencies, or maybe for emergency birthday celebrations. (lol).

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Please stop with the "same opportunites" rhetoric...they have the same opportunity, thanks to the Republican Party and the Brown v Board of Education..

The dispursement of funding is fair...the city or county taxes pay for schools in specific districts...Again, this is fair. The outcome is only different because of the tax-paying base in each district. You cannot expect a school in an area of low-income and welfare recipients to receive the same funding (ie 'taxes') as one in a community where there is a working or a weathy class....because they are paying more taxes.

The root of the funding issues lies withthin the tax-paying base of each community. It IS Equal.

If the parents in the low-income communites want more funding for the schools in their areas, they must make more money to pay the higher taxes ( this is where having an education, skills, and not a long rap-sheet come into effect).

I have a few points I'd like to address in regards to your comment. Let's first look at the Yellow Highlighted areas. Do you see the problem between those two sentences?

First you say the have the same opportunities at success, and then you go on to prove yourself wrong by admitting they don't have the same funding because they're poor.

On to my second issue, which you'll see highlighted in Orange. Your belief that all poor people are criminals aside, you actually have the nerve, the blissful ignorance to say that people who never received a proper or higher education deserve to have their children trapped in the same viscious cycle because they can't afford to pay higher taxes? Talk about perpetuating the cycle.

Also, I don't want my thread derailed to discuss the political parties' agendas...

Remember. You brought it up.

I absolutely disagree with you on the magical 'party-switch' and the agendas of the parties, and sincerely do want to rationally debate this.

I've already debated this issue... several times in this thread. I even pointed you towards a vid and several sources of literature on the subject as sources proving my point. Meanwhile you chug along with your eyes closed, screaming "LA LA LA LAAAA!!!" everytime you hit a wall of truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join