It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 26
79
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I will respond in more detailed fashion but let me state a few things up front:

1) Many blacks and Hispanics are at a disadvantage in the US educational system. There are a lack of qualified, interested and motivated teachers in many institutions. Many of these teachers tend to move on or out of the system in various inner-city schools, hence, leaving the children with lesser qualified educators to deal with.

2) Many inner city schools lack proper resources and tools to help AAs and Latinos bridge the educational gap and opportunities afforded to many of their peers in other non-urban school systems. This is a fact.

3) While many would claim AA students have suffered since the Obama administration came into power, this may be directly attributed to the economic situation left over from the Bush administration where parents/guardians of AA & Latino students have now had to work multiple jobs to assist their families. Many households are without a father figure where mothers have had to wear both father and mother hats. Many of these single women are raising children on their own AND working multiple jobs. So, these children don't have the necessary support and structure at home to help cope in critical situations and life.

It's a domino effect, folks. Many parents lack basic tools to help their children. The school administrators are either ill-equipped or unprepared to deal with the issues and the school systems lack proper infrastructure to capitalize and promote equitable growth within these students.

I have literally seen many parents pick up 2nd and 3rd jobs to help cope with economic conditions while their children suffered along with poor grades, peer pressure issues, poor/inappropriate decision making and various things that affect teenagers.

I know Obama is trying but the same folks lambasting him for "not helping black people and minorities enough" are the same folks saying he is "providing preferential treatment and bias towards blacks" with this executive order. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I don't necessarily agree with everything in that executive order but I sure as hell applaud him for trying to do something that clearly needs a deeper intrinsic look at.




posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag
 


Black children are receiving disparate discipline in schools the same as they do in the justice system with black men being much more likely to be sentenced for minor crimes vs any other group let go for the same minor crime as well as sentenced more harshly, less likely to be offered 'deals' or put on probation. Look it up for yourself, the truth sucks but it doesn't go away just because we don't like it.



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by seabag
 


Black children are receiving disparate discipline in schools the same as they do in the justice system with black men being much more likely to be sentenced for minor crimes vs any other group let go for the same minor crime as well as sentenced more harshly, less likely to be offered 'deals' or put on probation. Look it up for yourself, the truth sucks but it doesn't go away just because we don't like it.


The school system is mainly run by a progressive agenda, it has been talked about a lot on ATS.

I honestly don't think anyone has ever accused conservatives of running and/or ruining the public school system.

So we have a progressive president fixing and finding fault with a progressive school system.

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


We can discuss the leanings of our President and our public school system in another thread... the fact remains regardless that a problem exists and it isn't divisive or playing the race card to address it.



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by beezzer
 


We can discuss the leanings of our President and our public school system in another thread... the fact remains regardless that a problem exists and it isn't divisive or playing the race card to address it.


Right....which is what the President has done in the Executive Order.




posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
Great job on the show cookie


Thanks!!

I will definitely continue to be a voice to be heard on these types of issues.



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss
 


Sorry, but that's the weakest argument you could possibly give. Your personal testimony means nothing since you are accusing schools everywhere of being racist against blacks.

Good luck proving that all schools and staff at said schools are racist against blacks and punish them harsher than everyone else. We don't live in the 50s anymore..You're pandering to ridiculous group-think entitlement mentality. It's exactly what's wrong with your argument, and it's exactly what's wrong with this EO. .You need to stop and look at humans as humans.
edit on 11-8-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
meh
edit on 11-8-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by Garkiniss
 


Sorry, but that's the weakest argument you could possibly give. Your personal testimony means nothing since you are accusing schools everywhere of being racist against blacks.

Good luck proving that all schools and staff at said schools are racist against blacks and punish them harsher than everyone else. We don't live in the 50s anymore..You're pandering to ridiculous group-think entitlement mentality. It's exactly what's wrong with your argument, and it's exactly what's wrong with this EO. .You need to stop and look at humans as humans.
edit on 11-8-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)


Right.

But you see, its hard for the Left to look at all people, especially blacks, as humans. Remember they are the pro-slavery party, the KKK party, and the party of Separation.



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
nevermind


its our fault...

edit on 11-8-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Maybe the hope is that since any type of problem at school most likely have the student expelled and in most cases the student does not return to school therefor living a uneducated life on the streets and after 2 decades of this you will have a large population of people with no purpose.


Lol...so then, we don't punish the trouble makers and we allow them to disrupt classes, beat and hurt other kids, swear at teachers, refuse to do homework (yet they'll get passing grades), be tardy and skip class all they want...and all this without consequence? It's this ridiculous liberal thinking that's already destroying the fabric of this nation...by refusing to punish criminals or disruptive children because you think it will have a worse outcome! This is why so many kids today are so messed up emotionally and over-prescribed drugs to handle it, so we parents and teachers don't have to deal with them. On and on and on the cycle goes....and now we have a presidential executive order to reaffirm this lunacy. What a joke!



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie
 



But you see, its hard for the Left to look at all people, especially blacks, as humans. Remember they are the pro-slavery party, the KKK party, and the party of Separation.


And so, we see what you are up to after all

Not a humanist - but a chauvinist...

and something of a troll

Lovely - just lovely

What a crying shame




edit on 8/11/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by ButterCookie
 



But you see, its hard for the Left to look at all people, especially blacks, as humans. Remember they are the pro-slavery party, the KKK party, and the party of Separation.


And so, we see what you are up to after all

Not a humanist - but a chauvinist...

and something of a troll

Lovely - just lovely

What a crying shame


edit on 8/11/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)


I based that statement from HISTORY.

And you are basing your name calling to me off of........



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie
 


You're addressing real people here in the present

Intent is everything



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
as AA students are allowed to behave more obnoxiously in school with no consequences, the level of learning will drop to the level of the lowest common denominator and all colors of children will become as stupid as the stupidest kid allowed in the class. water seeks its own level.

we waste too much money on uneducable children as it is and should be spending more money on the gifted and smart kids.



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirited75
as AA students are allowed to behave more obnoxiously in school with no consequences, the level of learning will drop to the level of the lowest common denominator and all colors of children will become as stupid as the stupidest kid allowed in the class. water seeks its own level.

we waste too much money on uneducable children as it is and should be spending more money on the gifted and smart kids.



But wait. African American students are not "allowed to behave more obnoxiously in school with no consequences." That's what this Executive Order is all about. They are being punished more harshly than other students. The Executive Order is saying that African American students should be treated THE SAME as all other students. It's saying that they should not be punished more OR LESS harshly than any other student.

Get it now? Probably not.



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by Garkiniss
 



Good luck proving that all schools and staff at said schools are racist against blacks and punish them harsher than everyone else. We don't live in the 50s anymore..You're pandering to ridiculous group-think entitlement mentality. It's exactly what's wrong with your argument, and it's exactly what's wrong with this EO. You need to stop and look at humans as humans.


If they aren't showing bias, then this EO won't affect them at all now, will it?



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I honestly don't think anyone has ever accused conservatives of running and/or ruining the public school system.


Are you serious!? Well, you've had your head buried in the sand then. Because when you get schools starting to teach Intelligent Design in science class, I definitely call that ruining the public school system. And we all know it is Conservatives that push, and will always push, that agenda.

ncse.com...



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss
 


Sure it will. This brings out a whole NEW bias and just causes more/new racial tension by singling out 1 race of people.. You don't see that, really?
edit on 11-8-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Lol...so then, we don't punish the trouble makers and we allow them to disrupt classes, beat and hurt other kids, swear at teachers, refuse to do homework (yet they'll get passing grades), be tardy and skip class all they want...and all this without consequence? It's this ridiculous liberal thinking that's already destroying the fabric of this nation...by refusing to punish criminals or disruptive children because you think it will have a worse outcome! This is why so many kids today are so messed up emotionally and over-prescribed drugs to handle it, so we parents and teachers don't have to deal with them. On and on and on the cycle goes....and now we have a presidential executive order to reaffirm this lunacy. What a joke!


Exactly how does seeking to have fair application of punishment, regardless of race imply any of the hyperbolic and unrelated things you just listed?




top topics



 
79
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

log in

join