It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Then your not listening.

Education is not about money never has been.

If people think that intelligence is determined by the amount of how many billions are thrown at people then they are wrong.

Of course call me racist always makes people 'right'.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

So, let me get this straight. What you all are saying is that you DON'T want black schools to get equal funding. You want it to keep going the way it is with black schools getting less money than the white schools.

My gawd!!!

There's no such thing as a "black school".

Lay off the Kool Aid.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
So, let me get this straight. What you all are saying is that you DON'T want black schools to get equal funding. You want it to keep going the way it is with black schools getting less money than the white schools.

You DON'T want the black schools to have the same quality teachers that the white schools have. You want the black schools to continue with the lower quality teachers they currently have.

You DON'T want black students to be disciplined exactly the same as white students. You want them to be treated with harsher penalties for the same behavior.

You DON'T want blacks to have the same access to good quality preschools (for Kindergarten readiness) as the whites.

Because that's what I hear you all saying, even though you don't have the guts to come right out and say it.

Hmmmm.. no that's not racist at all.

No.

I explained to you how it is that public school funding is distributed, which is through taxes. Inner City school funding is less than that of suburban school because of the tax payer base. People in the suburbs tend to make more money, thus more taxes are used to fund those schools, and vice versa.

It is not a 'color thing'. (I notice you keep saying 'black' schools).

There should be equal disciplinary action in the schools. However, its is the truth that there are more black students who are disciplined more than any other race. This is because that statistic is most likely taken from an inner city school. If you polled a suburban school which includes blacks, this will not be the case.

Why is it that inner city black students are disciplined more? I have touched on this topic,which I (Bill OReilly, Bill Cosby, and many others) agree that it is because of the backgrounds and home environments of these students. If a child is coming from a dysfunctional family environment, they are more likely to have more behavioral issues than a child coming from a more healthier, stable family.

Nothing at all to do their race.
edit on 10-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by Garkiniss

Let's revisit history for a moment, shall we (I know Libs and Dems HATE history, especially theirs).
You say that the Dems offered me (blacks) a fair shake at life? WHEN??

Was it when:

Democratic Party instituted the enslavement of blacks for 200 years
Democratic Party fought and spared their lives to uphold slavery
Democratic Party formed terrorist organization known as the Klu Klux Klan which lynched blacks (and whites) for voting Republican, after blacks gained the Right to vote because of the Republican Party
Democratic Party implemented Jim Crow laws that kept the races separated
Democratic Party conspired to kill MLK and Malcom because blacks had began to wake up politically
Democratic Party fought to uphold Segregation and wanted to keep blacks from going to schools with other races
Democratic Party instituted Women's Lib Movement which broke up the black family
Democratic Party instituted the War on Poverty which revamped the Cotton Plantations and turned them into Welfare Plantations
Hmmmm Which one of those times was it????

I never said "Democrats", yet you're comparing Democrats from 50(+) years ago to Progressive Liberals today?
They don't have the same ideology. I wouldn't even consider myself a leftist and I can see that.

Let's have a gander at what the Liberal ideology stands for:

-freedom of speech
-freedom of the press
-freedom of religion for all belief systems
-the separation of church and state
-right to due process and equality under the law

"Modern liberalism" in the United States includes issues such as:

-voting rights for all adult citizens
-equal rights
-protection of the environment
-and the provision by the government of social services, such as:
-equal education opportunities
-access to health care
-transportation infrastructure
-basic food for the hungry
-and basic shelter for the homeless.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

My gawd!!!

Lay off the Kool Aid.

I told you, they really think its 1954.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Sorry. There is no difference between the Democratic Party of yesterday and 'Progressive Liberals' of today.

Same party, same platform, same policies.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by ButterCookie

Could you tell me what part of the executive order you don't agree with?

www.whitehouse.gov...

Articles have a tendency to spin things

peace

Because it specifically states "In two places, Obama’s executive order calls on schools to reduce the number disciplinary actions taken against blacks students." that in and of itself is racist. It gives blacks a 'pass' on deviant, unproductive, and sometimes violent behavior.

How is that productive for the students, if they have yet another 'victim' pass; "I'm black and because of that, I am expected to behave in a specific manner."

More victimhood indoctination from the Left.

What part of this is good?
edit on 9-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

Somebody needs to read the actual EO again.

The word 'disciplinary' was only found once through out the entire EO, while the word 'reduce' was apparently non-existent. So tell us, why do you have that in quotes?

I wanted to read the ENTIRE EO myself because this is far too sensationalized in the article. If you actually read the EO it states this in the 3rd paragraph:

African Americans lack equal access to highly effective teachers and principals, safe schools, and challenging college-preparatory classes, and they disproportionately experience school discipline and referrals to special education

This seems to be the sentence everyone is on their period about. First, let's classify this sentence. This is a sentence speaking of the present issues AA face hindering their educational success. This is apart of what they would call a 'thesis' that gives reason to even make this EO in the first place. It's not saying that this EO will prevent black from getting in trouble! The thesis goes on to say:

African American student achievement not only lags behind that of their domestic peers by an average of two grade levels, but also behind students in almost every other developed nation. Etc.

Second, Is this not true?

Here we have a white kid speaking the truth. I don't know what kind of school this is, that teacher is not black, but many black teachers I've had are generally like this one in the video.

Assuming I'm talking to other intelligent humans on this forum, that means I'm observing ignorance that is feeding off of a sensationalized argument. Many who haven't even bothered to read the EO itself.

This EO was written to improve in education areas that are apparently lacking. The EO even states that it would like to lead the world in most graduates by the year 2020. That can't be achieved if you ignore problems. This is apparently a group working on current issues rather than making any laws against anything currently in place.

If any one person actually reads this EO and disagrees with it then you need to reflect on what type of person you are.

edit on 10-8-2013 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Sorry. There is no difference between the Democratic Party of yesterday and 'Progressive Liberals' of today.

That is the truth they will never admit that though.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Then your not listening.

Education is not about money never has been.

If people think that intelligence is determined by the amount of how many billions are thrown at people then they are wrong.

Of course call me racist always makes people 'right'.

So you want things to stay exactly as they are with unequal funding. Gotchya.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Still not listening I see.

Have anything of substance here?

Or just going to misrepresent any opinion that disagrees with you?

link   

Originally posted by seabag

My gawd!!!

Lay off the Kool Aid.

YES, there are.

www.nytimes.com...

link   

Still not listening I see.

Have anything of substance here?

Or just going to misrepresent any opinion that disagrees with you?

Sorry, so you DO want all schools to have the same funding?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

School funding are state and local issues, that property taxes, and lotteries pay for distribution of federal funds to places that get no direct benefit from it needs to end.

So should someone in New York pay for a school in California ?

Hell no.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That is the truth they will never admit that though.

WRONG.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Would you post your DNA on Facebook?

First glance says that Obama and many who prefer his policies on this subject, see this period as a chance to extract revenge on those of the caucasion race for all the evils visited upon African Americans in the past.

Of course, there's no one alive today that was alive during the time when slavery was practiced. Moreover, children today are the least racially divided of any generation before them so punishing them because they are the wrong color, can only regurgitate what we have been so desperately trying to leave behind.

I often refer back to MLK on these subjects because in my heart... I believe had he lived, this would not be happening.

The goal of a colorblind society is what we need but it is almost exactly what those in power and the media seem dead set against.

If there is a God... and I believe there is, then we are indeed all the same. We all bleed the same blood and it is the same color; red.

Beyond that, there is only human arrogance, anger, pride and all the other imperfections that we should be working to overcome... not sustain.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I think the fact that people do not get punished equally does not make people better. I know a lot of people that get away with stuff because they were not "excepted" to do it. Does that change the event! How come the media is not covering stores of blacks still getting lynched in the south! Death not assault!! Old Fashion Killing Styles!!! No disciplined there at all obviously!
You talk about saggin pants but what about people with horns sticking out of their forehead through their skin! That is better! We can do this back and forth thing all day long but the truth of the matter is whites receive LESS disciplined for their acts of violent. They always have and still do.
Why do you think people have the nerves to go to work and hang nooses because they have been disciplined all this time? Hardly…
Kids need the same chances at life! Error and all! That entitlement clause has just been removed that is why people are pissed. Sovereign determines the punishment for Americans, now that option has been removed from the courts. GET OVER IT! Private Prison systems will suffer the most from this act! SO be it! Slavery is not a rehabilitation act either.
Yours kids are still in class for doing what black kids do. I did not hear the story about the white kid that threatened to blow up a middle school in Colorado, who by chance was simply suspended and is currently attending the same school. So if the school refuses to properly discipline white children then the playing field needs to be altered so that each child is treated identically. Obviously telling them to criminalize their own was not working, they only got those that were not of them. Sorry but the Spanish are guilty of giving their students less discipline as well.
Don’t blame Obama blame the “game”. No imperfect child is better than the imperfect other!

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Do you really expect people to be that stupid to believe the left and right 'switched' sides ?

Guess you do.

Nope they didn't they are the same as they ever were that is straight up intellectual dishonesty since Democratic actions can't be defended they spin how they all 'left the party'.

Well Robert Byrd says otherwise that KKK member and when he died the Democrats sung his praises.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The headline is not sensational. It simply sums up what the Executive Order is about. Please attempt to refute that.

By the way, I am not a klansman nor a white supremacist. I, the OP, am a black woman.

Obviously you have the racist liberal mindset where you see 'racism' in anything and anyone who attempts to correctly criticize the black community.

I know that you're black. So am I, and I also agree with some of the things that you've said because they are valid critiques of the black community.

That said, you shouldn't just jump the gun and assume someone is a "liberal" because they can sit here and clearly point out blatant ignorance coming from some people in this thread. A lot of these comments made here, some of which were deleted due to the extreme nature, are being made from the perspective of racial hatred and ignorance. Be wary of those who are quick to agree with you because while your comments are not fueled by hatred but experience, there are others who are what they are: racist hate mongering pigs.

There isn't anything in that EO that states that black students should not be disciplined for bad behavior. Please provide the exact quote from the EO that proves your sensationalist thread title to be correct...and mind you, I am not an Obama supporter. I think that the man has the moral compass of a 6 month old child.

I also think that this is a fruitless EO, because until the home support in place for many of this disadvantaged students improve, you will not see better performance from a vast amount of black students.

This is where I take the people who try to generalize black students to task about how they "don't want to learn". You have to take a step back and be honest here...a lot of these kids are born into # ed up households. You'll rarely find a good student that doesn't have a set of good parents/or guardians that can guide them. If the poverty rates and or situations were reversed, you would see students no matter the race or ethnicity suffering or causing problems. I'm pretty sure there are white students who are in these same kind of situations that perform poorly or get suspended, but not one talks about this because people like to pretend that this stuff is only amongst black people. This is a poverty, economic, and cultural issue that can't be solved by "orders" or changes to the already broken education system. The change has to start from the moment that child is conceived, the parent has to decide to give that child their all and the support it needs.

This is the reality of the situation.
edit on 10-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

This is response to the video of the white student 'telling the teacher off'.

One, the child was out of place to disrespect the teacher, just because he didn't approve of her teaching method.

Ad two- yes he is wrong.

When students come to school, they have to be motivated to learn regardless of the teaching method. That's one problem right there. Entitlement mentality. "I want her to teach me like this."

That is not real world learning.

The classroom is not supposed to be where you get 100% of your education from.

If a child is not understanding it in the classroom, they have the library, other students, the internet, and PARENTS.

Whoops...most of the time, the parent is not involved in their education in the first place, eh?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

School funding are state and local issues, that property taxes, and lotteries pay for distribution of federal funds to places that get no direct benefit from it needs to end.

So should someone in New York pay for a school in California ?

Hell no.

And states have a tendency to allocate their fund to the schools with all the black students less than the schools with all the white students.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join