It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

This implies TWO things: 1) that blacks are receiving a completely different form and/or level of disciplinary action (disparity) compared to students of other races, and 2) that this EO seeks to promote lessening the implied ( non-existent ) disparity.

The op title is accurate (though a bit exaggerated). Nice attempt at fallacious attack on the source, too (Mr. Conservative). As if the source has any bearing on the content of the EO.

Not non-existent. Try documented.

From yet another article...

What Are Your Expectations? The Challenge of Keeping Classrooms Fair.

Tuesday afternoon, fifth grader Jacob disrupts groupwork with his goofing around. On Thursday, it’s his deskmate, Miles, who has the class’s attention with similar antics. What’s the outcome? Jacob gets a reprimand, and Miles receives a detention. What’s the difference? Miles is African-American.

The latest government data, analyzed recently by Howard Witt in an article in the Chicago Tribune, shows that black students are getting a raw deal in American schools when it comes to discipline. In the average New Jersey public school, reports Witt, African-American students are almost 60 times as likely as white students to be expelled. Nationally, they are three times more likely than non-black students to be suspended or expelled for the same offenses. The problem has gotten worse, not better: In 1972, black students were suspended at just twice the rate of other students. And today’s numbers can’t be explained away by differences in class or income, since middle-class and wealthy black students are being punished more often—and more severely—than their non-black peers.

“There was a very vehement counter-reaction to this story,” Witt admitted in an interview on National Public Radio recently. “About half of white readers simply don’t believe the numbers, and the other half say, ‘What would you expect? Black students misbehave more often.’” But Witt contends that these complaints reflect a “fallacious way of viewing this data … it’s getting cause and effect pretty much backwards.”

Problems of inequity based on race are not confined to discipline. Black students are far more likely than other students to be taught by inexperienced teachers, score lower on standardized tests, be referred for special education services, and fail to graduate. It’s a difficult subject to confront. But as the national population of students of color nears 40 percent while 80 percent of teachers are white, it’s an issue schools need to take on.

Witt's Original Article

edit on 10-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

The problem is that you are coming at it from the position of someone who has a strong dislike for Obama, and apparently doesn't believe that people may have been treated differently (in this case suffered greater disciplinary actions) because of the colour of their skin.
The people suffering in these schools aren't just black. Poor schools are a result of poverty and cultural problems and are not limited to blacks. Yet the potus wants to make it about blacks only, alienating everyone else affected.

Ya, no race issue there!

As for my "fallacious attack on the source", well.... really? Do you think a blog entitled "Mr.Conservative" is going to say anything good about Obama? Did you look at the rest of the stuff on there?
I didn't read the article. I formed my own opinions based on the EO. The title is a bit exaggerated but it is true if you read the intent of the EO. Dismissing the source as proof of content inaccuracy is fallacious.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

THANKS FOR PROVING THE POINT of the REAL issue at hand.

This type of behavior is a result from the dysfunctionality that the children are coming from, NOT because they are black.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
"What do we do with utter savagery?"

Punish it severely.

I finished watching Video 1. That girl was allowed to behave like that in her home. The parents are responsible for that behavior. Holding parents liable for a child's behavior is the only way to stop this kind of absentee parenting.

If she'd been slapped as a child she never would have gotten that bad.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I have resisted opening this thread.

I just didn't want to read about yet another treasonous, delusional, lop-sided, racist etc. of the Destroyer In Chief.

Yup, I was right. It's outrageous yet again.

And yet his cheerleaders rant on as though he could walk on water and feed 5,000 with a few loaves and fishes.

Have the psych-ops mass brainwashing technologies and propaganda of the globalist elite oligarchy become THAT effective and sophisticated?

Where are all these folks acting like they are going to dispatch, kill, route the ZOMBIES?

They are everywhere around us.

They are sleep-walking singing the Pied Piper's tune as they shuffle off like good Eloi into the caverns of the Morlachs [see HG WELLS TIME MACHINE]

Some are even waltzing down down down into the darkness seemingly gleefully zoned out eager to become dinner for the Morlachs.

Sigh.

Evidently the Destroyer In Chief's goal in this edict is to increase the friction, destruction, anarchy, mayhem, blood-letting in the culture.

He's supposed to be smart. If he were smart--he'd realize that he's sentencing more and more blacks to more and more death and suffering and marginalization.

UNLESS . . . THAT WAS HIS CYNICAL goal . . . as ordered by his bosses . . . who actually really hate blacks anyway--witness their bio-engineered AIDS loosed primarily on Africa. . . .

This is truly the era as the Bible declared when

good would be called bad;
black would be called white
up would be called down.

May God have mercy on all of good heart toward Him.

The black-water slide to hell is getting crowded.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
"What do we do with utter savagery?"

Punish it severely.

I finished watching Video 1. That girl was allowed to behave like that in her home. The parents are responsible for that behavior. Holding parents liable for a child's behavior is the only way to stop this kind of absentee parenting.

If she'd been slapped as a child she never would have gotten that bad.

Absolutely!

I kept wondering why she (Video 1) was able to carry on like that for as long as she did...most likely because of the liberal school system excusing her 'PTSD' from slavery....

Video 2 was most disturbing to me...complete animals.

The 10 yr old in video 3 has said things like that to her own mother, surely.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

I have noted elsewhere hereon

That A SERIOUS EPIDEMIC OF

ATTACHMENT DISORDER

is to blame for a long list of social, personal, relationship traumas, ills, destruction.

Certainly that's greatly true in black homes with a horrendous degree of absentee fathers.

It's true in wealthy and poor white homes, too. . . where the father may be bodily sort of present but absent in terms of emotional bonding with his children.

Nevertheless, O's simplistic solution will produce more destruction than good, imho.

ATTACHMENT DISORDER THREAD:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also worth noting in this ball park:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's true in the home and it's true in the schools . . .

DISCIPLINE without ADEQUATE EMOTIONALLY BONDED RELATIONSHIP

will virtually always produce REBELLION.

And rebellion leads to suffering, death, destruction.

One cannot plant cacti and realistically hope to harvest peaches.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

What about the white losers.
You have to let them misbehave also.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OOOOOO
reply to post by Shadow Herder

What about the white losers.
You have to let them misbehave also.

Nooooo...this is where the Exec Order becomes unfair.

It only pertains to the African American losers

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

I agree. Yet poor blacks that have a weak home structure come to school and instead of gaining that missing support from their teachers, they're treated more harshly than their white peers. How does that help build success? How does that help teach relationship building? The current system supports the suppression of the black race in that school officials know that most dropouts occur in students that have received out-of-school suspensions, and yet they send these kids home for a first, and often times minor, offense.

Where's the justice?

Look, I agree that lessons of discipline and respect begin in the home. I do. I get it.
I'm not arguing the point. What I am saying is that when two students (one black/one white) who come from a low income home, attend the same school, and commit the same offense are punished, why is it that it's okay for the black student to receive 3 days of at-home suspension, while his peer received a single day in ISS?

That's what this EO is about.

Equality. Again, it's not a "free pass" on bad behavior. I cannot stress that enough.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Where's the justice?

That's what this EO is about.

Equality. Again, it's not a "free pass" on bad behavior. I cannot stress that enough.

The injustice did not come from the school. It came from the dysfunctional upbringing.

Is that the fault of whites? The school?

No.

It is the fault of the mother and the father of said child.

PLEASE place responsibility where it belongs.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
WTH???

Thanks for sharing this vid...

edit on 10-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
And then we have this:

Are there going to be protests and a speech from the POTUS on this foolishness??

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

My question:

Isn't this going to make it harder for African American parents who actually discipline their children? Won't this give them an outlet to misbehave and not get caught?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

OF COURSE,

I'm [color=6699FF]not interested in disequal treatment for equal misbehavior.

I'm just convinced that his pontifications will result in GREATER ENCOURAGEMENT for blacks to act out.

THEY

do not NEED the results of that.

I don't have a brilliant solution to the disequal punishment for equal acting out. Seems like a leadership issue, primarily.

Though good leadership in our current culture is too often PUNISHED.

Sigh.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenskin12

My question:

Isn't this going to make it harder for African American parents who actually discipline their children? Won't this give them an outlet to misbehave and not get caught?

Absolutely.

This is yet more damage to the family breakdown and the intentional degradation of blacks by the Left.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
The injustice did not come from the school. It came from the dysfunctional upbringing.

Is that the fault of whites? The school?

No.

It is the fault of the mother and the father of said child.

PLEASE place responsibility where it belongs.

In that case I blame Capitalism and the Free Market for wrecking the economy, shipping good paying jobs overseas, and taking parents out of the home as both parents are forced to work multiple jobs just to make ends meet.
I blame corporations that add $50 million in taxes per state as a result of increased unemployment and decreased full-time work opportunities. Tax increases that force States to make cuts.
I blame our fiat monetary system that allows the Fed to control inflation, while stagnating wages.
I blame the GOP for wasting millions fighting to push religion back into classrooms instead of fighting to push proper funding back into schools.

That's who I blame.

reply to post by BO XIAN

Perhaps... just perhaps a show of equality in school will boost morale in African American students. Worth a shot, right?
edit on 10-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

INDEED.

The school bus driver was evidently cowardly or intimidated or something.

However, I agree that the parents "responsible" for those boys should bear the greater consequences.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Disgusting !!!

Who came up with this initiative, Wile E. Coyote??
This one hell of a way to prevent a child from becoming criminal or worse yet, a nobody!!!
By making him believe he could be one in the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join