It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
If young blacks don't like being reprimanded or punished they should reconsider the behaviors that get them reprimanded or punished.

Most people learn after the first time.

link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I got about half way through before I decided to actually read it. Afterwards all I could think was,
"My God! Four whole pages of wrong people!" So I reposted it hoping it would gain a few more viewers.

It did.

Unfortunately not many seem capable of understanding what it is they're reading. Maybe there is an education problem afterall.

link   
reply to post by seabag

Not really an apology

Your inability to understand what I meant is not my problem

Sorry your feelings were hurt - but - this board is for exactly this

Like I said - my fault for thinking we could have a cnoversation

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well lets get back on topic shall we.

The article that this thread links to is divisive propaganda against a democratic president from a website called "Mr.Conservative" - didn't any of you who read it think it might be ever so slightly partisan?

And - if you read the Executive Order in question - did any of you who read it actually find what its purported to say? (here's a clue, its not there)

So the question really is - who is stirring up the race hate/tension here? The EO unequivocally DOES NOT state what the article claims it does.

Which strikes me to think that those who have bought into it are being played.

Do you like being played?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
If young blacks don't like being reprimanded or punished they should reconsider the behaviors that get them reprimanded or punished.

Lemme guess. You didn't read the actual EO?

It has nothing to do with a "free pass" for misbehavior. It has to do with fair and equal consequences for all students.

But that isn't even the main point of the EO. It's mostly about providing resources for underprivileged schools and students to make sure they have a fighting chance at success.

edit on 10-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

It has nothing to do with a "free pass" for misbehavior. It has to do with fair and equal consequences for all students.

I've never heard of a white student being punished differently than a black one. My ex-SIL is a public school teacher. Has been for damn near 30 years.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Please give your explanations to this savagery displayed in the 'black schools'......

edit on 10-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
All of your vids come back "Invalid Request".

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Sorry...fixing them

link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

What's your honest opinion - do black kids always get a fair shake in the school system do you think? Do you think it's wrong for the president to address the situation - and try to at least shine a light on this, oh, let's just call it disparity

Do black kids get a fair shake in the progressive-liberal school system?
No.
Do I think it is wrong for the president to address the issue?
No.
Do I agree with his solution?
No.

I know this is ATS - and gang wars are ever so much fun. But, seriously, this situation is more than just liberals and conservatives fighting over who gets to control the ball. These are real kids - with very real futures

Shouldn't we be able to rise above this nonsense - at least some of the time?

I agree, my most oft foe. (
)

We need to look at the problem. Obama's "solution" addresses one of the symptoms. NOT the problem.

There is a growing concern with black youths in todays society. I blame government and entitlement mentality for much of it.

We(collectively) have lost the ability and desire to take care of our own. We have abdicated so much of our individual responsibility to government that when government steps in to correct the issue (no matter how poorly) we complain, but where in the hell were we when the issue initiated?

A solution might be to take back that initial responsibility from the government and return it to families and neighborhoods where it rightly belongs.
FORCE people to take care of their children.
FORCE people to be responsible for their child's education.
FORCE people to be responsible.

Not that this would happen. People (for the most part) abhor personal responsibility. Too much work and it takes away time from tv.

-And that, good sir, is about the most honest answer I can and have ever provided.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

I've never heard of a white student being punished differently than a black one. My ex-SIL is a public school teacher. Has been for damn near 30 years.

And yet I've seen it with my own eyes.

We're not saying all schools are guilty, and those that aren't will see no side-effects from this EO, however those that are guilty will face immediate change. I still see no issue here.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

So the question really is - who is stirring up the race hate/tension here? The EO unequivocally DOES NOT state what the article claims it does.

You can't be serious! This isn't a "black" problem its a "poverty" problem; it affects everyone in those areas. Let's read:

reducing the dropout rate of African American students and helping African American students graduate from high school prepared for college and a career, in part by promoting a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools
www.whitehouse.gov...

This implies TWO things: 1) that blacks are receiving a completely different form and/or level of disciplinary action (disparity) compared to students of other races, and 2) that this EO seeks to promote lessening the implied (non-existent) disparity.

The op title is accurate (though a bit exaggerated). Nice attempt at fallacious attack on the source, too (Mr. Conservative). As if the source has any bearing on the content of the EO.

edit on 10-8-2013 by seabag because: a bit exaggerated

edit on 10-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Video 1: Do you condone the behavior of the student? I didn't watch the whole video. It showed a sickening racist who threatened to kill. She should have been permanently kicked out of that school.

Video 2: Black on black violence. Nothing new there.

Video 3: I don't care how old you are, you don't attack a teacher.

Video 4: Ditto.

PS: "My little angel would never do that." Parents should take responsibility for the behavior of their brats.
edit on 8/10/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Video 1: Do you condone the behavior of the student? I didn't watch the whole video. It showed a sickening racist who threatened to kill. She should have been permanently kicked out of that school.

Video 2: Black on black violence. Nothing new there.

Video 3: I don't care how old you are, you don't attack a teacher.

Video 4: Ditto.

No, I don't condone it.

I posted the vids for the Ever-Loving Liberals who think that we all need to embrace this behavior and accept it as a 'just a black thing'...

I am calling it complete savagery, and this is why this EO will further ruin educational opportunities of those who want to learn.

I agree with the prior poster...what do we do with utter savagery?

##snipped##
edit on Sat Aug 10 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Waiting on the supporters of the Executive Order to respond to the videos...

(Painful to watch, in my opinion)

They will probably chalk up the behavior to slavery, of course....something that was abolished 200-400 years ago.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'm completely serious

The problem is that you are coming at it from the position of someone who has a strong dislike for Obama, and apparently doesn't believe that people may have been treated differently (in this case suffered greater disciplinary actions) because of the colour of their skin.

As for my "fallacious attack on the source", well.... really? Do you think a blog entitled "Mr.Conservative" is going to say anything good about Obama? Did you look at the rest of the stuff on there?

I guess with Republican tinted eyes, its perfectly fine.

I'm reading it from outside of the partisan hate fest that passes for politics in the USA these days.

Its amazing how reading comprehension suffers at the hand of political madness.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

PLEASE watch the videos and explain how these children were treated so harshly by the school system.

link   

Originally posted by neformore
reply to post by seabag

I'm completely serious

The problem is that you are coming at it from the position of someone who has a strong dislike for Obama, and apparently doesn't believe that people may have been treated differently (in this case suffered greater disciplinary actions) because of the colour of their skin.

As for my "fallacious attack on the source", well.... really? Do you think a blog entitled "Mr.Conservative" is going to say anything good about Obama? Did you look at the rest of the stuff on there?

I guess with Republican tinted eyes, its perfectly fine.

I'm reading it from outside of the partisan hate fest that passes for politics in the USA these days.

Its amazing how reading comprehension suffers at the hand of political madness.

The funny thing is, had you posted something from the New York Times or anything that Republicans deem "Liberal" they would instantly attack the source.

link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
Waiting on the supporters of the Executive Order to respond to the videos...

(Painful to watch, in my opinion)

They will probably chalk up the behavior to slavery, of course....something that was abolished 200-400 years ago.

I chalk it up to bad parenting, society as a whole and people who just follow others opinions like sheep instead of actually thinking things through, because - frankly - its all cherry picked to be racially divisive.

There are videos all over the web of violence from people of all creeds and colours - just picking on one smacks of bigotry. Lets have some balance here shall we?

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join