It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tells Schools Not To Discipline Black Students For Bad Behavior

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

There is a gap between test scores of African-American students and white students. African-American students score significantly less than whites. It is a real problem. This makes it more difficult for the African-American to succeed. This gap goes all the way back to elementary school. Is it wrong to see if we can solve this problem? Is it wrong for the President to try to solve this problem? This affects the whole economy, thus the whole country. Get it?

Researchers like Jencks stress the importance of closing the gap. Blacks who acquire the skills measured by these tests do better economically, he told FRONTLINE. He also argues that closing the black-white test score gap would affect more meaningful change than affirmative action policies in college admissions which are currently being challenged on constitutional grounds. "You wouldn't need to have racial preferences for admissions to elite colleges," Jencks said, "if you actually had candidates with comparable test scores."

This E.O. is not being divisive or racist. It is about trying to bring everyone up to the same level. Closing the educational gap will be good for everyone.

WOW.

The 'gap' that you are describing is not a genetic one. It is a social one. Genetics, you can't control. Your social issues, can be controlled- its called personal responsibility.

Whites cannot be blamed for the 'educational gap' because THEY DID NOT CAUSE IT.

Things that contribute to this 'gap' are:

women choosing thugs and low-lifes as mates to reproduce with, causing herself to become a single mother

men who walk away from their role as a father-which would have ensured a higher chance at success for their children

families who rely on the welfare plantation from cradle to grave, generation after generation

women and men who themselves do not value education- no books in the home, no parental involvement in homework, studying, or PTA meetings, cannot describe the values of an education to their child because they do not have any

Children who are unfortunately raised in crime invested neighborhoods-due to the impoverty that was started by the reasons listed above

Parents who allow the garbage music of minstrels such as Lil Wayne and Nikki Minaj to be played in the cars and homes of these children- intelligence is downplayed and acting like a thug or a whore is uphled

An Education Gap? ABSOLUTELY.

But not because it is encoded in DNA- it is due to reasons listed above.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

reply to post by kaylaluv

Yes. Give them the same chances to improve their character. Give their schools the exact same funding as the white schools. Give their schools the same quality of teachers that the white schools have. Give them the same access to quality preschools that the white neighborhoods have.

Are you insane?

Do you think there are segregated schools in this country?

In a way.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well - yay! Statistically speaking - this one classroom where your daughter is a student, that you visit every so often certainly proves - black kids should have no complaints

Honestly seabag

Honestly....

:-)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

This is self-segregation….not institutional segregation. And there are no BLACK ONLY or WHITE ONLY schools.

From your link…I find this quite ironic. The liberal mecca CALIFORNIA, where liberal democrats have dominated the political scene for decades upon decades, seems to have the worst problem with this ‘segregation’. How can that be??? Isn’t that the party of our POTUS??

The Civil Rights Study shows that most severe segregation in public schools is in the Western states, including California—not in the South, as many people believe.
www.projectcensored.org...

These liberals are the people who are supposedly going to help blacks, yet in cities they dominate, the problems seem to be the greatest! Southern conservative states don't have this problem. Why is that? Maybe because we don't look for a racial component to explain everything.....

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Well - yay! Statistically speaking - this one classroom where your daughter is a student, that you visit every so often certainly proves - black kids should have no complaints

Honestly seabag

Honestly....

You're right. America is a horribly racist country! Blacks have no chance for success. Someone should tell Obama, Holder, Condi Rice, Herman Cain, Bill Cosby, Michael Jordan, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Michael Steele, the NFL, NBA, music industry, etc, etc, etc.....

Honestly...?

edit on 10-8-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

as usual,things have been taken out of context...i really doubt that the prez means to let "blacks","get away with anything"..if he did---that would be the most blatant form of bias,-&,to do it in front of millions of people?it would expose his TRUE colors.i doubt he would jeopardise himself that way..think what he means is---treat EVERYONE equal.. :>]

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

There is a gap between test scores of African-American students and white students. African-American students score significantly less than whites. It is a real problem. This makes it more difficult for the African-American to succeed. This gap goes all the way back to elementary school. Is it wrong to see if we can solve this problem? Is it wrong for the President to try to solve this problem? This affects the whole economy, thus the whole country. Get it?

Excuse me!! African Americans attend the same class as ALL OTHER RACES. If their test scores are lower, that’s not the fault of the school or the educational system, and special exceptions shouldn’t be made to favor one race over another. That is divisive!

I guess you've never heard of black neighborhoods, where schools are 90% black...

Most states significantly shortchange poor and minority children when it comes to funding the schools they attend, according to a report released today by the Education Trust.

www.edtrust.org...

You are right about one thing. We shouldn't favor one race over another. The poor and black schools should get the same funding as the other schools.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Yes. Give them the same chances to improve their character. Give their schools the exact same funding as the white schools. Give their schools the same quality of teachers that the white schools have. Give them the same access to quality preschools that the white neighborhoods have.

Are you insane?

I swear liberals live in the 1950's.

What in the world is Kaylaluv talking about???

'Their' schools? Is Kaylaluv implying that there are signs on 'their' schools that read, "Colored Only"??

Kaylaluv obviously does not have an understanding how school funding works- because there is no 'white pot' and 'black pot' that funding comes from.

Funding is calculated by the taxes of the community, When there is an upperclass community, their schools will have more resources, and in the lower classes,there will be less. If the community members are full of the unemployed and welfare collecting segment ( and I do not mean that in a derogatory way), then the schools will not be funded as much.

So it is not a 'color' thing as liberals proclaim. It is a class thing.
edit on 10-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I guess you've never heard of black neighborhoods, where schools are 90% black...
Who made it that way?

Was there a rogue real estate agent jamming blacks into one area of the city?

Is this a result of federal government policies?

Did the whites do this??

If there is a 90% black school and that school has poor results, maybe that says more about the culture in that neighborhood than the education provided. Maybe the test scores and graduation rates are worse (if they are) because the general attitude of the students (and their parents) SUCKS!! Why should my tax dollars be dumped into a failing system?

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Just now read about this absurdity. I think this country has lost its collective mind.

Clearly the "president" is a racist. Anything he says will be skewed towards blacks. He cannot be taken seriously, especially since his "slouching" comment about Putin.

"Our president" is the laughing-stock of the planet. Every time he opens his mouth he verifies what a crybaby he is.

I say nail their contrary little asses to the wall. It's the only way to control them and ##snipped## knows that.
edit on Sat Aug 10 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I hate to disagree with ya, but believe it or not? My disagreement supports your overall point I believe. There IS racist segregation in so far as Racist meaning 'defined by race', with or without the negatives to go with it. However, if there were White Only or White Focused schools in the nation whose whole reason for being was racial in nature to at least a passing degree in virtually everything? What would we call that?

Wouldn't we call it hateful and divisive and question what those white people were thinking to make schools so openly and singularly identified with their own race? So.....

When segregated schools work: Predominantly black charter schools can spur higher achievement

Welcome to American Hypocrisy to a level that should leave people dumbfounded and breathless with it's blatant nature these days. Our President is one who does absolutely nothing to HELP that situation and everything, when possible, to exploit it.

After all, Obama is a social activist lawyer/community organizer with a good part of his life spent exploiting divides within society to benefit whatever group he represented at the time. Class/Status warfare is the nature of life to this man, I do believe.
edit on 10-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

reply to post by seabag

Honestly seabag

Honestly....

You're right. America is a horribly racist country! Blacks have no chance for success. Someone should tell Obama, Holder, Condi Rice, Herman Cain, Bill Cosby, Michael Jordan, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Michael Steele, the NFL, NBA, music industry, etc, etc, etc.....

Honestly...?

Ahhh - the Bill Cosby argument...

You win seabag - that list right there proves it - Obama (who, although on your list is obviously too stupid to understand - he's made it, so - there's no problem) has no business trying to interfere with a perfect school system. He's obviously trying to shortchange your kids - and give black kids preferential treatment

Black kids and black parents - whatever their complaints or problems - are clearly delusional

And so am I - I thought we could have a real conversation

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

This is self-segregation….not institutional segregation. And there are no BLACK ONLY or WHITE ONLY schools.

From your link…I find this quite ironic. The liberal mecca CALIFORNIA, where liberal democrats have dominated the political scene for decades upon decades, seems to have the worst problem with this ‘segregation’. How can that be??? Isn’t that the party of our POTUS??

The Civil Rights Study shows that most severe segregation in public schools is in the Western states, including California—not in the South, as many people believe.
www.projectcensored.org...

These liberals are the people who are supposedly going to help blacks, yet in cities they dominate, the problems seem to be the greatest! Southern conservative states don't have this problem. Why is that? Maybe because we don't look for a racial component to explain everything.....

Forced integration is once again on the radar of government agencies. Seems HUD is looking to propose a plan that will racially and economically integrate neighborhoods across the nation.

Hud Proposes Plan to Racially and Economically Integrate Neighborhoods

The proposed federal rule, called "Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing," is currently under a 60-day public comment period. Though details of how the policy would specifically work are unclear, the rule says HUD would provide states, local governments and others who receive agency money with data and a geospatial tool to look at "patterns of integration and segregation; racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty; access to education, employment, low-poverty, transportation, and environmental health."

States would then assess the best way to integrate communities deemed by HUD's data to not be integrated enough. A HUD official, who did not want to speak on record because of the public comment period, said the rule hopes to better match up HUD-assisted housing with the communities that have good hospitals, schools and other assets.

So, look for Sec. 8 housing coming soon to your neighborhood. I'll bet a pot of gold that Harry Reid nor Nancy Pelosi's neighborhoods will be on the targeted list. (Nor any major politician for that matter.)
edit on 10-8-2013 by queenofswords because: To add last sentence.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Ahhh - the Bill Cosby argument...

You win seabag - that list right there proves it - Obama (who, although on your list is obviously too stupid to understand - he's made it, so - there's no problem) has no business trying to interfere with a perfect school system. He's obviously trying to shortchange your kids - and give black kids preferential treatment

Black kids and black parents - whatever their complaints or problems - are clearly delusional

And so am I - I thought we could have a real conversation

Give me a break. You’ve been minimizing my argument from the start.

It’s always easier just to shout RACISM!

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Ponder about this: On the one hand, what if you had 3 college age kids and you only had money enough to sent 2 of them to college? On the other hand, one of your kids turned out to be a criminal where you just don't know why he turned out that way and to some extend you feel hopeless about it, and the other 2 were just desperate to attend college. Now, which 2 would you send to college??

And now ponder about this: What if you had 3 college age kids and you had money to send all of them to college but one of them didn't finished high school and is on parole for GTA and is suspected of murder. Would you send all of them to college??

To hell with racism, it's all about common sense and economics!!

edit on 10-8-2013 by Vanux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

Are you insane?

In a way.

Schools may be 'segregated' , but it is through a means of social class, and not color.

I know that you, Kaylaluv, and liberals in for the most part believe that all the calendars are wrong and this is actually the year 1954.

But its not. Its 2013.

School segregation is a result of the social class of the community. Members of a community making 6 figure incomes are going to be comprised of a different study body than members of a community making $30,000 and under, which are still different from welfare-collecting communities.

Get color out of your mind/ I know you are liberal and this may be an impossible request, but try to follow me for a min.

By now, you know that I am black. I grew up in Wichita Kansas with both parents in the home. Both attended college and my father was in the Air National Guard. We lived in the suburbs.

The schools that we went to were SUPERB, and my classmates were all good-mannered and education seeking as I was.

Later in life, my parents decided to move back to Memphis TN, where they later got divorced. The lack of income caused my mother to live in a low-income neighborhood, and the schools of that area were different than the ones from when we lived in the suburbs.

Crime was rampant, and I was first introduced to the welfare system.

We were BLACK in both communities.

What changed? The socioeconomic classes of the neighborhoods.

(Fortunately for me, because of the Kansas upbringing and school system, I continued my civility and furthered my education, later joined the Marines, and am now applying to Law School.)
edit on 10-8-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You minimized your own argument

I never called you a racist

and what you just did - right there - is every bit as bad as what you've just dishonestly and incorrectly accused me of doing

You should really apologize

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You mean the same Liberal Mecca that just had GOP Governor?

Typically when someone says, "From your link" they provide a quote from said link. All you managed to take away from that entire article was the word "California." No mention of Texas what-so-ever.

Let's take a look at what was said about California, shall we?

This is the social effect of years of neglect to civil rights policies that stressed equal educational opportunity for all. In California, the nation’s most multiracial state, half of blacks and Asians attend segregated schools, as do one quarter of Latino and Native American students. While many cities came under desegregation court orders during the civil rights era, most suburbs, because they had few minority students at that time, did not.

edit on 10-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

reply to post by seabag

You minimized your own argument

I never called you a racist

and what you just did - right there - is every bit as bad as what you've just dishonestly and incorrectly accused me of doing

You should really apologize

The entire argument against people who oppose this EO is that there is rampant racism in America, which is false. It's simply an easy way to silence the opposition because if there is racism, and Obama is trying to fix it (
) then obviously anyone opposed is a racist.

And what was it you said about a "Bill Cosby" argument? So anyone who invokes the name Bill Cosby has somehow discredited their own argument? That is attempting to minimize my argument.

edit on 10-8-2013 by seabag because: missread my post

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
reply to post by neformore

Thank You!

I posted the actual EO on page 7 thinking some might actually read it.
Of course, like always, I underestimated human stupidity, and the thread continued.

reply to post by LightOrange

You can't be serious.

Educators who are in charge of disciplinary action are human beings, in case you aren't aware.

If someone is not cooperating, causing a stink, and using inappropriate language, then the discipline is obviously going to be steeper than it would be towards someone who cooperates.

Doesn't really matter how many times you've done it before; if you challenge the ego of the guy who's dishing out your sentence then he's going to give you the maximum penalty that he could justify. I never said it was fair, I said it was going to happen. It's obvious.

Again, you're injecting your own predjudice into this debate.

Look, this EO isn't asking for special treatment, it isn't asking for a free pass, it isn't asking that teachers ignore bad behavior. It's merely asking for equal and fair treatment.

You believe fair punishment is already being administered. If this is the case, then the EO will affect nothing, so the other side of this debate has no cause for concern. And if unfair treatment is happening, as many have pointed out, both in this thread, and all over the country, then this thread will offer these kids a better shot at a future, by affording them the same chances whites have. Either way, I'm not seeing the big deal from the right, other than it's another thing Obama did.

Again, the irony of this thread is astounding.

edit on 10-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

I hopped in at the middle of the thread after reading the EO and admittedly went TOTALLY off topic. I did read it tho

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join