It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sock Puppets and the American way to discredit and ridicule- another hacker bites the dust

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

Team Themis (a group that included HBGary and the private intelligence and security firms Palantir Technologies, Berico Technologies and Endgame Systems) was effectively brought in to find a way to undermine the credibility of WikiLeaks and the journalist Glenn Greenwald (who recently broke the story of Edward Snowden’s leak of the N.S.A.’s Prism program), because of Greenwald’s support for WikiLeaks. Specifically, the plan called for actions to “sabotage or discredit the opposing organization” including a plan to submit fake documents and then call out the error. As for Greenwald, it was argued that he would cave “if pushed” because he would “choose professional preservation over cause.” That evidently wasn’t the case.

The hack also revealed evidence that Team Themis was developing a “persona management” system — a program, developed at the specific request of the United States Air Force, that allowed one user to control multiple online identities (“sock puppets”) for commenting in social media spaces, thus giving the appearance of grass roots support. The contract was eventually awarded to another private intelligence firm.

Several months after the hack of HBGary, a Chicago area activist and hacker named Jeremy Hammond successfully hacked into another private intelligence firm — Strategic Forcasting Inc., or Stratfor), and released approximately five million e-mails. This hack provided a remarkable insight into how the private security and intelligence companies view themselves vis a vis government security agencies like the C.I.A. In a 2004 e-mail to Stratfor employees, the firm’s founder and chairman George Friedman was downright dismissive of the C.I.A.’s capabilities relative to their own: “Everyone in Langley [the C.I.A.] knows that we do things they have never been able to do with a small fraction of their resources. They have always asked how we did it. We can now show them and maybe they can learn.”

On May 28 Jeremy Hammond pled guilty to the Stratfor hack, noting that even if he could successfully defend himself against the charges he was facing, the Department of Justice promised him that he would face the same charges in eight different districts and he would be shipped to all of them in turn. He would become a defendant for life. He had no choice but to plea to a deal in which he may be sentenced to 10 years in prison. But even as he made the plea he issued a statement, saying “I did this because I believe people have a right to know what governments and corporations are doing behind closed doors. I did what I believe is right.” (In a video interview conducted by Glenn Greenwald with Edward Snowden in Hong Kong this week, Snowden expressed a similar ethical stance regarding his actions.)

Given the scope and content of what Hammond’s hacks exposed, his supporters agree that what he did was right. In their view, the private intelligence industry is effectively engaged in Psyops against American public., engaging in “planned operations to convey selected information to [us] to influence [our] emotions, motives, objective reasoning and, ultimately, [our] behavior”? Or as the philosopher might put it, they are engaged in epistemic warfare.

We have all read different things or seen a video where the comment section is aflame with personal attacks instead of refuting the info with facts to disprove the original post...makes one wonder sometimes.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yes.
I've seen what looks just like what is described going on right here at ATS.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

lets discuss who the psyop trolls are.

I have a few guesses.. clues.

a few of them "support" each other on outlandish easily debunked material. When confronted with facts they either go into a) strawman mode, b) they leave the discussion for good, c) they launch baseless personal attacks

I am sure many of us have the same 5-6 names going to the top of our personal lists..

when everyone is willing to "provide for their own families" over the best intentions for SOCIETY... we are screwed

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

But isn't calling people psyop trolls and paid shills just another personal attack? Because you just described what stupid people do in every argument i have seen on ATS.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure naming names will get your hand slapped but yeah, they are pretty obvious sometimes. There is also a large segment here who may not be on the payroll, but they are just plain terrible human beings. In their view the only people in society worth helping for any reason is themselves or their immediate family...sometimes. Mostly just themselves. Anyone else who may be down on their luck or suffering they feel this is entirely that person's fault, and as such they deserve no assistance other than death.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

i have noticed the way some are attacked when they post well thought out and researched threads by the same people who should be banned for the way they attack the poster .

same people they act like a wolf pack but they forget this is a conspiracy site that needs to think out of the box and not follow the norm some are even stupid enough to use their name here on other conspiracy sites

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I suspect that any poster that supports or is indifferent to the NSA spying on the American people are paid sock puppet masters.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

And the same people that show up on the first page of a 9/11 thread EVERY single time!

Oh and someone who inexplicably is in love with gmo's all of a sudden.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry

when everyone is willing to "provide for their own families" over the best intentions for SOCIETY... we are screwed

"We are screwed"?

"WE"?

Have you got a mouse in your pocket or something? I'M not screwed by such a turn of events, so "we" are not, either.

The only way YOU would be screwed under such circumstances would be if, in your unwillingness to provide for your own family, you are expecting a stranger to take up your slack.

"Society" is just a framework to allow individuals to get along. It's not a methodology for confiscating from one family to give to strangers, nor is it a monolithic organism.

Charity is voluntary. When it's forced, thy call that "theft" rather than "charity".

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

"We are screwed"?

"WE"?

Have you got a mouse in your pocket or something? I'M not screwed by such a turn of events, so "we" are not, either.

The only way YOU would be screwed under such circumstances would be if, in your unwillingness to provide for your own family, you are expecting a stranger to take up your slack.

"Society" is just a framework to allow individuals to get along. It's not a methodology for confiscating from one family to give to strangers, nor is it a monolithic organism.

Charity is voluntary. When it's forced, thy call that "theft" rather than "charity".

you are hopelessly lost dude. It IS NOT just about helping your own. It is about GIVING to those less fortunate, helping build something great,

This can not be done by a bunch of greedy selfish narrow short sighted thinkers.. about the complete opposite of a visionary.

Think of a village. Should the Chief live high on the hog while his people starve? NO!, he has a duty to them.

AND, how did you get what you have? surely those fellow citizens have lost a family member that paid a bigger price than YOU! .. You feel no duty to help orphans, seniors, those TRULY handicapped?

Oh, you can live in an ivory tower because you earned it? all the while those less fortunate should suffer?

Man, sure glad I feel that those able to help others should -----------> out of honor..

those filled with greed.. hope they die a miserable death with no wealth for their heirs.. karma is a B.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaws1975

And the same people that show up on the first page of a 9/11 thread EVERY single time!

Oh and someone who inexplicably is in love with gmo's all of a sudden.
and if you check there post history that is all they/it post in all the time i have been thinking for a while now we are seeing ai at work here as they are just to quick off the mark and if you look when they log on / off it;s like it is being done for a living

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Exactly.

The entire internet is pretty much a no go zone for intelligent communication.

I have had numerous forums dragged to the lowest levels by people I can only imagine were govt employees.

Essentially there are only about 20 different types of commercial forums, and so its not hard to write scripts to manipulate them. I have written my own software (not forums) and I know it doesnt get hacked.

Tthats why they want everyone on Twitter and Facebook, because they can manipulate them.

Thats why I suggest people learn other langauges. They actually cant manipulate things they cant understand. Even Spanish limits their capabillity by 50-80%.
edit on 10-8-2013 by brookster18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

But isn't calling people psyop trolls and paid shills just another personal attack? Because you just described what stupid people do in every argument i have seen on ATS.

How interesting - I was thinking of you while reading the OP, and then there you are....

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by brookster18

Tthats why they want everyone on Twitter and Facebook, because they can manipulate them.

Thats why I suggest people learn other langauges. They actually cant manipulate things they cant understand. Even Spanish limits their capabillity by 50-80%.

I agree. Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc. is just a one-stop shop for any agency that wants information on people. You "check-in", you post pics, your "likes" who you're connected to... These places would be gold-mines if a revolution were to happen in America and agency wanted to snuff out rebels and whoever else these persons were connected to.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm not a big forum'er, but i make sure to post the same why i would talk out loud to someone's face; with reason and rational thought. I only post on forums in bursts, and will go in about important,m pertinent debates that needs settling. I never thought before posting on forums that would get so upset about debating with others hundreds of miles away who i don't know, but it seems that people use the damn internet to bring out their inner most douchy, ignorant personas with their evasive, strawman'ish responses.

I always ask these people if they would ever conduct a debate like this dace to face with someone. How would you be able to avoid responding to the several points that i, or someone else, just said aloud? It wouldn't work. You would look like a damn fool. But online, you have others hopping right on the asshole train, and it's funny; you can instinctively tell who the trolls and shills are, and who are regular folks who are using online connection to vent their narrow minded, biased, willfully ignorant ideas and views.

I have to learn to cut things short with these people. No matter what i say, what data i give, they will purposefully omit and avoid anything that will compromise them and their ideas. It males it even more harder and infuriating that no one else picks up on the chief trolls obvious strawmans and omissions.

uhhh...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

you are hopelessly lost dude.

One of us certainly is. I'm not convinced it's me.

It IS NOT just about helping your own. It is about GIVING to those less fortunate, helping build something great,

"Giving" is still voluntary. Involuntary giving is called "theft". Same for "helping" - it can't be forced. My idea of "something great" evidently varies from yours. Why don't you help me build something great? Why does it have to be the other way around?

This can not be done by a bunch of greedy selfish narrow short sighted thinkers.. about the complete opposite of a visionary.

If I want to meet a visionary, I'll go hang out with The Old Man on the Mountain.

Think of a village. Should the Chief live high on the hog while his people starve? NO!, he has a duty to them.

That's up to the people of the village. If they don't like the way it goes, they depose the chief.

AND, how did you get what you have? surely those fellow citizens have lost a family member that paid a bigger price than YOU! .. You feel no duty to help orphans, seniors, those TRULY handicapped?

I have a laptop computer and a rucksack with 4 outfits of clothes (one of which is the remains of an old ragged out uniform that I don't wear much), and a wife. That's it. I can't really think of anything else I need. If you are under the impression that I've not lost family members, you ought to think again. I AM a senior. You know what? There's not a thing anyone can do to make me young again, so I manage. I'm a widower. My wife died, I moved on, and have another one. It's called life. You do with it what you will. If you sit around waiting on life to happen to you, then you get what you get, you get what someone else wants you to have - not what YOU want you to have. I've already GIVEN away more than you are likely to ever make, and I gave it voluntarily for the most part. Money and "stuff" mean nothing at all. My philosophy these day is that no one can take from me what I don't have to begin with.

You have no idea of the price I have ALREADY paid so that people who know nothing about me can sit around and pat themselves on the back, congratulating themselves on not being as greedy as me, all the while trying to amass more "stuff" for themselves, and not minding in the least making MY decisions for me on who they should give what "stuff" I have left to, deciding FOR me who is to be considered "less fortunate".

Oh, you can live in an ivory tower because you earned it? all the while those less fortunate should suffer?

I do happen to live on a second floor - in a single-room "apartment". I'd hardly call it an "ivory tower". I'm more likely to think of it as a flop house for the moment. It's in an inner-city area that can be a fairly rough joint at times. Still, I'm content, and it's not my "stuff" that makes me so. That's one of the problems with society these days - everybody wants more "Stuff", and no one can find contentment. Wanting more "stuff" is WHY this area can get so rough - everyone looking to take what someone else has, instead of getting their own. Still, there are some good people here, and I still don't mind helping someone who actually needs help. I'll give out of what little I have to help them - but God help any stupid sumbitch who thinks he's just going to TAKE it. He'll get more than he bargained for.

Man, sure glad I feel that those able to help others should -----------> out of honor..

There's nothing you can teach me about honor. There is no honor in just allowing myself to be run over roughshod. There is no honor in "giving" to the government under duress, so that they can "redistribute" it to someone else who doesn't need it. Honor is found in making that determination on your own. If you insist on bureaucratic intermediaries, then you have no honor - and their "honor" is false.

those filled with greed.. hope they die a miserable death with no wealth for their heirs.. karma is a B.

I happen to agree - but I'm old enough to have seen that greed is not the sole provenance of the wealthy. It's found anywhere that people insist on taking what they didn't earn by force. The greediest people I have EVER met are those who think that someone else "owes" them for nothing, that they have some sort of birthright or entitlement to someone else's stuff. That seems to be the very definition of greed, does it not?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Well said and thank you for the reply...It helps that I agree with just about everything you said..We once had a space program and I am sure you remember all the clammer about the money we were spending in the 70s that could be spent on feeding the poor and helping the homeless...We cancelled the moon landings and started the great society. Which gave us more poor and more homeless and having to use the Russians to get to the space station....we all would have been better off if we would have pressed on to Mars and beyond...IMO...

Good news is we are both old and the future of mankind does not look all that great sometimes.We both know it has looked worse at times but, we will not be around much longer so might as well speak to those who will listen and forgive those who will not. Again thanks for the reply

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pont52

Originally posted by brookster18

I agree. Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc. is just a one-stop shop for any agency that wants information on people. You "check-in", you post pics, your "likes" who you're connected to... These places would be gold-mines if a revolution were to happen in America and agency wanted to snuff out rebels and whoever else these persons were connected to.

Yes.

I dont think there will be a revolution, but I think they are leveraging it exactly so as to control who you know.

I beleive the govt wants to control who you are friends with. Not everyone can make choices from a wide pool of options like you might at school. The coral everyone into Facebook and Twitter and then manipulate the system to manage and control your ability to make friends.

I used to have a Myspace before the NWO took over it and I made loads of friends. However they clearly didnt like the way that worked as you could choose your friends.

Now you pretty much can only be friends with machines or AI's OR people in your REAL WORLD sphere, and that is usually controlled by the NWO forces.

They control social mobility, ie where you live, they control your school, they set expectations that ironically mean most people with work in lines that might free them as they are not good enough. Its not until your wasted at 40 when you can see the invisible coorporate barriers collapse that you can truly see how they want to control the social order.

An the lynchpin to that is the ability to reproduce.

They dont actually care that you might meet a bunch of nerds that believe in UFO's but they dont want you popping out kids, home schooling and creating elements of society that refuse to accept the fundementals of a paternal govt to control every facet of our lives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join