It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you define 'God'?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Picture the smallest bug you had ever seen in this vast world. Will it ever comprehend the nature of things. biology, science, math? To argue or try to understand what God is or isnt is like the bug mentioned above, the limits of the human intelligent renders it impossible to understand the true nature of God/Nature that the discussion could be as futile as trying to teach an ant algebra.

In the infancy of the race, man often confounds the Creator with the creature, and attributes to the former the imperfections of the latter. But, in proportion as his moral sense becomes developed, man's thought penetrates more deeply into the nature of things, and he is able to form to himself a juster and more rational idea of the Divine Being, although his idea of that Being must always be imperfect and incomplete.

God exists. You cannot doubt His existence, and that is one essential point. Do not seek to go beyond it; do not lose yourselves in a labyrinth which, for you, is without an issue. Such inquiries would not make you better; they would rather tend to add to your pride, by causing you to imagine that you knew something, while, in reality, you would know nothing. Put aside systems. You have things enough to think about that concern you much more nearly, beginning with yourselves. Study your own imperfections, that you may get rid of them; this will be far more useful to you than the vain attempt to penetrate the impenetrable.

Actually I can doubt "his" existence. I just did. I don't think it's a he, she, or it. I don't think God is an entity or a creator. I think God is just as much part of the created as it is the creator. Otherwise the ex-nihil means nothing, literally and figuratively.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I define GOD as a neutral being .This way its our free will that defines good and evil and not god as being good or evil or both.I hope that makes some sense.Also with the creation of all life in the universe and everything in the universe I think GOD would be more inline of being a woman than a man .Just saying when you think about creating life do you think male or female.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I would disagree that we cannot create. Though I do not believe in Creationism, I do believe that every new born is a miracle of creation. In that way we are all potential creators. Similarly, we can plant seeds, tend to gardens, and create our own Eden if we put the effort and will behind it. We can create life, we can tend to the Earth, we can lay the foundation for success or failure in all of our endeavors.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"Infinite Creative Energy"

in all levels or dimensions and realms, because anything is energy and vibrations,

and anything is creative, like emotions, ideas, thoughts, you body the entire univers, and anything there has been created and continues,

The universe and anything expand in the infinite, and we all in one the creator we living inside the creator self or brain.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

This is just finding different ways to use the word "create".
Humans cannot Create in the sense intended in my original definition.
Since the question I was addressing was whether my definition does, or does not, lead to a particular conclusion, the sense intended in the definition is the only one that is relevant.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
God is love. Not the love a man feels for his wife, or a child feels for a sibling, or any other ways we define love in our mortal lives, but much much greater. Love that is unconditional, pervades the entire universe, is spotless, undying, eternal, and limitless. It would be impossible for us to even comprehend that love, had he not sent his Son, Jesus Christ to communicate that love to us. Through Christ (and his sacrifice) we can get a glimpse of the love that defines the character of our creator.

I have struggled my entire life to define God. At certain times I wasn't even sure if He existed. Then certain events took place in my life and the lives of my family that forever changed me and left me with no choice but to see His existence as a reality. I would have had to question my sanity and if some of those events had even happened if it weren't for the fact there were other witnesses to it, that experienced it with me. Even after such a confirmation, I still struggled with the idea of salvation, of the character of God, of why things happen the way they do.

Eventually, in becoming a father myself, my little girl taught me more about the nature of God and his love for us than I'd ever learned in church. Sure, I'd heard it talked about in church and read the words on paper, but it wasn't until I experienced that unconditional love for myself (through my love of my daughter) that I began to understand God's love in a different light. If I could love someone so much that it feels like my love is boundless, being mortal and nothing but a puny man on a puny planet in a puny galaxy, How much more does God love?

In some ways God cannot be defined (for to even define Him is to limit him). In some ways He is so beyond comprehension that it is the height of human folly to attempt to pigeonhole him into a definition. In other ways He has given us glimpses of His nature, and persists in divine patience and grace though his own creation often spurns Him.

I have learned that God has many characteristics and is limitless to such an extent that at times He almost seems alien. As if we are but ants attempting to comprehend the mind of Einstein. But if we persist and put our pride aside long enough to seek God with a spirit of honesty, Love is what is revealed.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I like the Native American's perspective of "spirit in all things." This describes God as more of a force, which could could also described as the Tao, or the Brahman. This force could also be perceived as(or take the form of) an entity at times.

I also borrow Joseph Cambell's "hero with a thousand faces" for an additional definition of God. I think God is both a force and a deity perhaps, and it's interpretation or face is determined by one's cultural background and location. I think it is the same force that shows up as Jesus, Buddha, etc....
I do get tangled up sometimes trying to determine whether God is more force or deity, but why not both?

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

In fact Creation Theory understands Creation to be unique.
Humans cannot create, in that sense, only in a lesser, metaphorical sense.
Writing a story, for example, is not "Creation" in the sense intended, and so it does not make us gods.

I disagree. You want to limit what "creation" means, but the word itself can mean almost anything. You create an idea, a technology, a movement - the act of changing something through the force of your will and imagination, is creation. The fact that, if not for us, thousands of ideas and objects that have changed the world would never have been born...that fact is proof that you are incorrect in that statement.
edit on 9-8-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

All I am doing is pinning down what the word "Create" meant in my original definition.

You claimed that my definition led to a particular conclusion (that we are all gods)
My response was that you can only reach that conclusion by changing the meaning of one of the words in the definition
A conclusion reached by changing the meaning of a word is not a valid conclusion.
(If it was valid to argue that way, I could prove you were a horse just by changing the meaning of the word "horse")

Since this is essentially an argument about what my definition means,the sense that i am attaching to the word "create" is the only one that is relevant to this particular discussion.

Remember, we are not talking about whether humans can create or not.
We are talking about whether that conclusion follows from my definition.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Then post the definition of "create". A creator is an entity that creates, correct? That's the most basic definition. So what does it mean to "create"?
edit on 9-8-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

In the theological sense, "Creation" is the word that we use to describe what God does to bring the world into existence. We can't say anything more about that, because it's beyond our understanding.

In the commonplace, metaphorical sense, "creation" is also used to describe what humans do when they conceive ideas or put things together.

My definition of God was using the first sense of the word. That is what I was talking about.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Risingfall

"An imaginary friend for grown-ups"

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

God is whatever you define it to be

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

In the theological sense, "Creation" is the word that we use to describe what God does to bring the world into existence. We can't say anything more about that, because it's beyond our understanding. In the commonplace, metaphorical sense, "creation" is also used to describe what humans do when they conceive ideas or put things together. My definition of God was using the first sense of the word. That is what I was talking about.

so the meaning of the word is dependent on what is being described, rather than grammatical context. sounds like hacking out of piety, like letting the president cheat at chess. highly unprofessional.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

How do you define 'God'?

The devil on a good day.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
the eternal substance in which everything is made of or simply reality. fundamentally it is one in nature though it can be made to appear daulistic in nature when shiva (observer) and shakti(observed) separate
edit on 9-8-2013 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
I'm an atheist and I don't believe in a deity. To me the concept of "God" could mean anything to the believer. Limited only by the imagination.

Agree. Funny how believers will say that god is indescribable and undefinable, any yet they follow a thing that they can't even put into words and can't possible know.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
God?

It seems obvious to me that god is an excuse for people to hate. People who are "religious" will have you believe they are full of love. Of course they are as long as you believe in their ideology. As soon as you question their faith or question god then they call you names and quickly banish you to hell.

Look at the Middle East, it's even worse in that area of the world. They don't only verbally attack you if you disagree but they will blow your azz up! Why do the Jews and Muslims fight? Some will say politics but it's a religious war.

God is an excuse.

(and you thought the op was crazy.
)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

The meaning of a word depends on the history of the language.
"Creation" in the theological sense, is used to translate the Hebrew "BARA", in the Genesis phrase "God made the heavens and the earth".
"Create" in the more metaphorical sense, describing what humans can do, is a later, more modern usage.
I was using the original sense, but you are intent on confusing the two.

All you are doing is making a big issue out of your ignorance of language. It's not really worth it.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
To me, God is why we are, and what we should ultimately strive to achieve. I look to God as my Heavenly Father, and I would hope that the love I have for my own children rivals the love he has for me. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to know all aspects of my life, each of my sins and short comings, but to abstain from interfering as I make my mistakes and learn from my lessons. To suggest that God is yin and yang is akin to suggesting that a father has no stake in the well being of his children. Imagine the child who feels entitled to the amenities of care and understanding, yet also desires the empowerment of personal control over their own destiny; and the father who finds acceptance even though his aspirations are not met. This is how I know my father, by the way I aspire for greatness and well being in my children, but temper my own desires with love and hope for my child with understanding, even in decisions I might feel entitled to make, but abstain from out of care for my child and their choices. To me, their are very obvious differences between good and evil, and the restraint necessary to allow both to coexist.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join