It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so much hatred towards Pagans?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Pagan simply means 'A person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.'

Au contraire, mon frére. Pagans are all folk not subscribing to the monotheistic Abrahamic religions, i.e. Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Are you suggesting that Buddhism and Hinduism are NOT amongst the main world religions? That seems rather presumptuous.

From the World Factbook, via wikipedia;

Christians (33.39%)
Muslims (22.74%)
Hindus (13.8%)
Buddhists (6.77%)
Non-religious (11.67%)
Other (11.63%)

I will have to assume that followers of Judaism fall under the "other" category, along with Janists, Wiccans, Sikhs, Satanists, Hare Krishnas, Rashnish, Santírians, The American Peyote Church, Pastafarians, Rastafarians, Disciples of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Followers of the Force, minions of Cthulhu, priests of Nyarlathotep, etc. (pardon me if I left your religion out of this laundry list; no offense was meant).

As for hatred towards Pagans, i don't know if most of the "pagan" religions gets a worse rap than other other religion. Round these parts of the interwebz it seems Muslims and atheists get the most hatred, with Satanists getting a whole lot of derision from X-stians. But not to worry: some us heathens are dishing it back to the X-stians, so it's all good - or bad, depending on how one looks at it.

I will say that is seems some of the detractors of pagan religions are QUITE ignorant, suggesting that they practice or practiced human sacrifice. I'm sure Hindus an Buddhists would be a bit aghast at that suggestion.
Even in some of the older pagan religions of the ancient Greek and Roman variety, there were no human sacrifices. It seems some monotheists are a bit snobbish and unfounded in the aspersions that they cast in this respect.

To paraphrase Jesus: May he/she whose religion is without some really messed up, wacky notions, cast the first stone.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Pagans are failed Satanists.

Obvious you know nothing at all about Paganism, why did you even bother posting.
edit on 11-8-2013 by Boomer1941 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Schillinger

Many of the comments so far attempt to define Pagans by what they are not, or by what they do not do.
I think this is inevitable since Pagan is similar in original usage to Oik, or Jerk. Paganus is Latin for "uneducated country-dweller" or Yokel.

Although Oiks or Jerks have something which connects them, they will all be Oiks or Jerks in their own individual fashion, and are therefore difficult to criticise accurately with generalisations.
So it is with Pagans I fear. Their rejection of ancient Canaanite war gods unites them but loosely, and they can express their individual views freely without falling outside the catch-all term we define them by.
The word itself points to the ignorance of the user.

I think the initial use of a derogatory term indicates an early fear of the misunderstood still very prevalent today.
And I also think, Schillinger, that is the answer to your question.

mistersmith.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

Obvious you know nothing at all about Paganism, why did you even bother posting.

Nagap !

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

There is no God there is just what is around us. Deal with it religious people.

ROFLMFAO!

Best. Post. EVER!

An illustration of ignorance par excellence!

Going by the two distinct and discrete thoughts you have mashed together into one sentence, you evidently can't even SEE what is all around you!

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

There is no God there is just what is around us. Deal with it religious people.

ROFLMFAO!

Best. Post. EVER!

An illustration of ignorance par excellence!

Going by the two distinct and discrete thoughts you have mashed together into one sentence, you evidently can't even SEE what is all around you!

Open your eyes.
God is within you and God is what surrounds you.
edit on 11-8-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Open your eyes.

There is a difference between "looking" and actually "seeing". In order to "see", not only must the eyes be opened, but the mind as well.

Earlier I read one of the best illustrations of the concept ever. It said "trying to find God around us is like a whale trying to find the ocean".

It's a "can't see the forest because all those trees are in the way" sort of thing.

Paraphrasing the post I was responding to for clarification, what was said in effect was "There is no ocean, there is just all this water around us".

edit on 2013/8/11 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Open your eyes.

There is a difference between "looking" and actually "seeing". In order to "see", not only must the eyes be opened, but the mind as well.

Earlier I read one of the best illustrations of the concept ever. It said "trying to find God around us is like a whale trying to find the ocean".

It's a "can't see the forest because all those trees are in the way" sort of thing.

The mind is the tree in the wood. The mind is part of the scenery. The scenery can only appear presently.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Open your eyes.

Paraphrasing the post I was responding to for clarification, what was said in effect was "There is no ocean, there is just all this water around us".

There are no edges - there is no inside or outside in reality.
It is one.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Open your eyes.

You cannot perceive God with your "mind" and you cannot see God with your "eyes".

Why?

You can see an atom through an electron microscope because electron is much smaller than an atom. But how do you see an electron?

There is a soul in every living being, but can you see it? Why it is not visible.

The Veda provides an answer. The soul is made of finer matter than what makes the gross (or visible matter). So the soul exists in another dimension in our Physics-speak. This is the reason soul is not visible to the eyes made of gross matter.

The God is even finer than the soul. The God is everywhere, sort of a universal consciousness. However our physical bodies have no ability to perceive the God.

The "nirvana" is called "self-realization" in Veda because soul actually see itself and other souls, when it has broken the chains of illusion and purified itself to its original form.

Soul is the alive matter. Your body is not the alive matter. Alive means motion. The soul is capable of motion on its own, and soul is what makes a body move. Death is nothing but dissociation of soul from the body. The body stops functioning when an alive soul no longer resides in it.

Paganism to me is believing in ancestors as gods or making sun. moon etc as gods. Such beliefs is delusion.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by GargIndia

Open your eyes.

You cannot perceive God with your "mind" and you cannot see God with your "eyes".

Why?

You can see an atom through an electron microscope because electron is much smaller than an atom. But how do you see an electron?

There is a soul in every living being, but can you see it? Why it is not visible.

The Veda provides an answer. The soul is made of finer matter than what makes the gross (or visible matter). So the soul exists in another dimension in our Physics-speak. This is the reason soul is not visible to the eyes made of gross matter.

The God is even finer than the soul. The God is everywhere, sort of a universal consciousness. However our physical bodies have no ability to perceive the God.

The "nirvana" is called "self-realization" in Veda because soul actually see itself and other souls, when it has broken the chains of illusion and purified itself to its original form.

Soul is the alive matter. Your body is not the alive matter. Alive means motion. The soul is capable of motion on its own, and soul is what makes a body move. Death is nothing but dissociation of soul from the body. The body stops functioning when an alive soul no longer resides in it.

Paganism to me is believing in ancestors as gods or making sun. moon etc as gods. Such beliefs is delusion.

The mind cannot see. The eyes see what is here to see and what is to see is the Glory of God - God made visible.
God is what is seeing the image that is made of God.
There is only what is present.
Presence is the one and only. It consists of the unseen presence and the seen presence. The Father and son are one.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
here's my two cents. I don't hate pagans. On the contrary, I find the ancient beliefs fascinating and am fully aware that many have been incorporated into Christianity. That being said, I don't have a whole lot of respect for present day pagans, or wiccans.
Why is that? Well, wiccans seem to be a mish mash of various beliefs jumbled together and then rewritten into a new religion that has little historical value to it. I WISH we knew more about the Celts, but we really don't. So wiccans make due with reclaiming established holidays like Halloween. Again, the historical and religious significance of these holidays are fascinating and I'm not saying Christianity has a claim to them. But the wiccans can't really claim any better handle on them, either. To me, its a made up religion trying hard to be something it isn't. Mesopotamian pagan beliefs thrown in, some hokey pokey witchcraft, nature worship of a sort, that's Wicca.
I wouldn't say they don't have a right to practice their beliefs, I just look at many of them and wonder why they chose wicca. They seem to have been turned off by Christianity and are trying to fill a void. And some Wiccans I've heard have a real resentment of Christianity and criticize it for not accepting them. I think they could be a little more tolerant and maybe I'm a little prejudiced based on the wiccans I've seen and heard. They need to lighten up.
Not that fundamentalist Christians, moslems and even orthodox jews can't be hard to take. And Atheists... forget it. What a bunch of killjoys they are and are probably the most intolerant of the bunch.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Well, if you want to arbitrarily define disagreement as hatred, then the pagans hate Christians.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If there's one thing that is worthy of praise and worship, its the Sun (not 'the son' you Christians! that's your typo)

It gives us heat, energy, light, the solar system and the earth were formed because of it, plus it gives us a nice tan and sometimes skin cancer.

All this and it doesn't ask anything of us, doesn't spy on us, in fact it doesn't care about us at all and will one day destroy the earth.

Nothing puts a smile on peoples faces more than a beautiful sunny day, its a universal fact no matter where you live or what team you support....

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well, if you want to arbitrarily define disagreement as hatred, then the pagans hate Christians.

Disagreements? Burning people at the stake, calling them witches and demons, that's a disagreement? Just as all Muslims are evil, right?

It is things like this that made me denounce not just my Christian upbringing, but organized religion altogether.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Even though i am a Christian, the Pope, and many churches can't give me Salvation, no man can. I only have one God which with whom I have fellowship with. I have no beef with the Pope, but, I only follow He who is I Am.

Abraham himself was a pagan. With faith in a God he didn't know he changed. The thing with man is that we have a Spirit that leads us, and deep inside we should follow what our spirit tells us. As animals have instincts, man follows his spirit. Every man from beginning always seeked, and knew there was something Divine.

But there is a sad and severe catch. By deciding (Adam & Eve) to follow and trust in the knowledge of flesh, we died. The Holy Spirit left man and man died. Yet, we still choose to follow, and trust in the knowledge of flesh by thinking we can understand that what is good and evil. Now we seek to fill that hunger, the void and emptiness and thanks to trusting our flesh, we make idols and worship it. That is why paganism is wrong, IMO.

Now, people will say I do the same by following my imaginary Heavenly Father. In the end I am not gonna bow to any handmade idol, and others won't kneel to my Savior.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schillinger

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Disagreements? Burning people at the stake, calling them witches and demons, that's a disagreement? Just as all Muslims are evil, right?

It is things like this that made me denounce not just my Christian upbringing, but organized religion altogether.

Wow!!!

Way to use the absurdly rare exception to try and define the rule for 2.2 billion people.

Fantasticly objective there.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

I think you're responding to the wrong post.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

No my friend, you are taken in by false beliefs.

God is Not father of humans. God is neither male nor female and has no children.

Humans think they are masters of Universe as they are "children" of God. This is wrong.

The earth sustains other species just as it sustains humans. Humans are just another species.

There is only one difference between humans and animals, God has given humans much higher cognition and intellect, as humans are the only species in which there is a possibility to understand God and to progress through elevation of soul. However God is never found in materialistic objects. You will never know God by going to a temple, church or masjid.

"Rama" and "Krishna" are not "God" as God never takes birth on any planet.
Jesus in not son of God as God has no children.
Mohamed is not God's messenger as God does not send any messenger. God has no need as He can achieve anything directly through boundless powers.

Humans have taken the wrong path in this age (called "Kaliyuga" in Sanskrit, age of machines, dark age).
Humans have forgotten the path of Yogis and have taken on a path of mindless materialism, a path of destruction.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I'm glad my thoughts concerning the whale searching for the ocean have some significance for you, nenothtu -
I've been trying to sum up that particular dilemma for a while, and that's my best attempt.
To develop the idea, I'd like to add that everything about the whale is formed from the surrounding, (and internal) ocean, except for the silly idea in it's head.

I think this is what Bhagwan meant in his equation Man minus Ego = God.

I'd like to share another quote, this is by C.S.Lewis.
"I do not have a soul. I am a soul. I have a body."

This is where my Paganism begins. It does not give me the certainty that I am right - so I'm never in a position to say others are wrong. To my mind, that kind of certainty usually accompanies the darkest deeds.
Now my soul sits within me like a sturdy foot in an old worn-out shoe, and no doubt I'm looking for comfort.

Are you a body with a soul, or a soul with a body?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that ...

mistersmith.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join