It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TMI Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
TMI aka, Too Much Information.

I'm speaking for myself here, although I feel like many other people may see things the same way.

This day in age, the technology is growing at an exponential rate. I mean just imagine 20 years ago, if you can, I cannot. It has grown so fast. New information is constantly being thrown out there. Now I do realize I do not have to watch TV, or browse the internet. I could just ignore it all. But these days, we need people like Martin Luther King.

I've heard of Dis-information, but what about Too much-information? Not only dis-info, but true-info as well, all spewed out with a few buttons pushed. The amount of info available at this point in time is unprecedented for this world, as far as i know.

My theory is:

We're being pumped with information, whether true or not, so as to confuse us so much, I don't even know who we are anymore? School, history books are nothing compared to the history on ATS and it's sources. Maybe we're passed the "dis-information" part of the agenda. Whether it be "false flag event" or what, I think it's just red herring red herring red herring.

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

Originally posted by Mugen

Do you know what the difference between information and Knowledge is?

Knowledge doesn't change,
information does.

They are drowning us in information,
and starving us of knowledge.

edit on 8-9-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
the kids nowadays catch a lot of flack. but I will say in their favor that their brains are becoming better wired to maintain such high level of input.... far more than me for sure.

I am not certain, tho, that this has made them any smarter.

what's yer age range, sonny-boy?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I hear ya. Another brick in the wall. It almost seems as if there's some wicked cosmic puppet master pulling the strings of all humanity. Nah...that's silly, right?

edit on 9-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

information does.

You are right Mugen, it's TMI,
and I award you one internet.

Mike
edit on 9-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

what's yer age range, sonny-boy?

22. Young and dumb. Glad to be a part of ATS

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

information does.

I should have used that as my conclusion. Thank you for the internet.

reply to post by The GUT

Lyrics and spelling are wrong on the video. But thanks, nice video.
edit on 8-9-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I should have used that as my conclusion. Thank you for the internet.

I climbed a lot of towers,
aligned a lot of microwave transmitters,
and ran a lot of cable building it.

I'm glad someone with your awareness
has their hands on it.

Mike

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
To think that once information was scarce - the image of monks painstakingly copying a few precious books comes to mind.

Now the needle is well and truly buried in the haystack.

Given a choice - I would take the present day scenario every-time.

But it can be a little overwhelming at times - you just need to have a few suitable strategies for dealing with it - and coping mechanism to deal with any adverse effects.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

information does.

I question this. I think that knowledge DOES change but information does NOT.
In that, information is data which is taken in. Knowledge is what we do with it, how we organize it. The overall context within which we assimilate the information.

This thing is red. Information. It is round. Information. It grows on a tree. Information. It is edible. Information. It may be an apple. Knowledge. But, the knowledge may change as more information is added. Like it is small and pulpy and drips all over you when you eat it. Maybe it is a plum. The information pieces do not change just accumulate to allow for different conclusions. Sorry if this makes no sense, as I am writing off the top of my head.

Also, in the last two lines of the quote, I leave off the word "they" in my understanding of the issue. Indeed, the information IS growing and growing as you point out, but I do not necessarily think that this is do only to "they" but more to the nature of complexity which comes about by the interaction of diverse elements.

I think, individually, as our knowledge grows, we also develop a knowledge base with which gather a wider accumulation of information with connections to each other that had not been discernible to us with lesser knowledge bases.

Certainly "they" , as you point out, are obfuscating the information landscape. The degree to which this is nefarious rather than just coincidental is debatable.

Knowledge does not come from without, it comes from within and changes as we continue to add information and organize it for our selves. I think.

Over all though I think that you have hit on one of the major issues of our time. The vast and seemingly unending barrage of information available to us. And to a degree which I do not think was available to our ancestors.

We create our own knowledge from available data. A broad and deep knowledge is something we all might aspire to. More though is to have a knowledge base which is also flexible. This I think can lead us to wisdom.

In any event, thanks for this thread. As a piece of information, it stimulated my own knowledge base enough to encourage me to continue heading towards my on vision of wisdom.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Lyrics and spelling are wrong on the video. But thanks, nice video.

Yeah, I noticed that, too, but why you want to add even more TMI to the glut.

When I was a kid and the power would go out, we would light the oil lamps and my dad would tell us stories from back in tha' day. Now that was good information and required an attention span---which you seem to have somehow managed to achieve in spite of our TMI age.

I doubt a true technological singularity will ever happen, but a societal decay singularity is probably in our future. I somehow bet it all works out in the end though.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by Mugen

information does.

I question this. I think that knowledge DOES change but information does NOT.
In that, information is data which is taken in. Knowledge is what we do with it, how we organize it. The overall context within which we assimilate the information.

This thing is red. Information. It is round. Information. It grows on a tree. Information. It is edible. Information. It may be an apple. Knowledge. But, the knowledge may change as more information is added. Like it is small and pulpy and drips all over you when you eat it. Maybe it is a plum. The information pieces do not change just accumulate to allow for different conclusions. Sorry if this makes no sense, as I am writing off the top of my head.

Also, in the last two lines of the quote, I leave off the word "they" in my understanding of the issue. Indeed, the information IS growing and growing as you point out, but I do not necessarily think that this is do only to "they" but more to the nature of complexity which comes about by the interaction of diverse elements.

I think, individually, as our knowledge grows, we also develop a knowledge base with which gather a wider accumulation of information with connections to each other that had not been discernible to us with lesser knowledge bases.

Certainly "they" , as you point out, are obfuscating the information landscape. The degree to which this is nefarious rather than just coincidental is debatable.

Knowledge does not come from without, it comes from within and changes as we continue to add information and organize it for our selves. I think.

Over all though I think that you have hit on one of the major issues of our time. The vast and seemingly unending barrage of information available to us. And to a degree which I do not think was available to our ancestors.

We create our own knowledge from available data. A broad and deep knowledge is something we all might aspire to. More though is to have a knowledge base which is also flexible. This I think can lead us to wisdom.

In any event, thanks for this thread. As a piece of information, it stimulated my own knowledge base enough to encourage me to continue heading towards my on vision of wisdom.

Ok.

If you don't want to know,
then you don't want to know.

Mike

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
the kids nowadays catch a lot of flack. but I will say in their favor that their brains are becoming better wired to maintain such high level of input.... far more than me for sure.

I am not certain, tho, that this has made them any smarter.

In a way, yeah, much smarter, I think. But in another way, it can be confusing as hell. Just gotta know how to handle it. Which there is information on which to tell you how to handle it, ha. Or just shmoke a blint. Pipe in a crepe? Bong and a blince? Shmoke and a pancake?

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
But it can be a little overwhelming at times - you just need to have a few suitable strategies for dealing with it - and coping mechanism to deal with any adverse effects.

reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Wow that was an awesome post. I totally agree with 97.2% of your post.

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
I think that knowledge DOES change but information does NOT.

You're wrong. But more importantly, you're also right. In my opinion of course.

Information DOES change. For example the "Telephone Game" (Chinese Whispers)

a game played around the world, in which one person whispers a message to another, which is passed through a line of people until the last player announces the message to the entire group. Errors typically accumulate in the retellings, so the statement announced by the last player differs significantly, and often amusingly, from the one uttered by the first. Reasons for changes include anxiousness or impatience, erroneous corrections, and that some players may deliberately alter what is being said in order to guarantee a changed message by the end of it.

Let me just throw these definitions in real quick.
Knowledge

the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association (2) : acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique

Information

the communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence 2 (1) : knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

In the case of all the available information, it's a reality that most people are less informed, and less educated. It's as though most prefer not to learn, assuming they can find out anything using a search engine. Then, when you add in all the false/incorrect information, you have a bigger problem. I think the issue is with the wrong stuff, and the tendency to not learn, more than the actual amount of data available. If people were still taught to learn and think, and all were honest and careful about accuracy, we could do amazing things with the technology available to us.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Ok.

If you don't want to know,
then you don't want to know.

Mike

Hi Mike. I"ve been off the site for a few days and missed this reply from you on this topic. I must say I do not understand your reply. If I don't want to know what?

top topics

join