It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Laughs At Saudi Offer To Betray Syria In Exchange For "Huge" Arms Deal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
With all the chaos surrounding the fighting in Syria, the finger pointing about who is trying to achieve what, who are the good guys vs. the bad guys it seemed worthwhile to look at what is really the underlying issue here. Seems as always it's just the money.

One of the more surprising news to hit the tape yesterday was that Saudi Arabia, exasperated and desperate by Russia's relentless support of the Syrian regime and refusal to abandon the Syrian army thus facilitating the Qatari plan to pass its natgas pipeline to Europe under Syria

So what is poor Saudi Arabia to do? How about a big bribe to get their way?

(Saudi Arabia) quietly approached Putin with a proposal for a huge arms deal and a pledge to boost Russian influence in the Arab world if only Putin would abandon Syria's Assad.

So what does Russia think about this?

the biggest loser from Russia abandoning Syria (something we predicted would never happen) would be none other than Russia's most important company - Gazprom -

In 2009, Assad refused to sign an agreement with Qatar for an overland pipeline running from the Gulf to Europe via Syria to protect the interests of its Russian ally, which is Europe's top supplied of natural gas.

An Arab diplomat with contacts in Moscow said: "President Putin listened politely to his interlocutor and let him know that his country would not change its strategy."

And there you have it, Qatar wants the Russian natural gas money. Bring on the freedom fighters!

Putin Laughs At Saudi Offer To Betray Syria

edit on 8-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Makes you wonder what they asked the US to do in exchange for pushing their agenda.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Makes you wonder what they asked the US to do in exchange for pushing their agenda.

Yeah, since we're tied at the hip with Saudi Arabia it's probably just scratch each others back. Though it seems like we need Saudi more than they need us so we're "happy to help."

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

whatever they want or they will blow up a few more buildings?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
reply to post by benrl

whatever they want or they will blow up a few more buildings?

Qatar and Saudi Arabia really want this (non-Russian) pipeline. As we've seen the CIA has been very accommodating in their attempts to further the goal.

This would serve a two fold agenda, more western control (Syria falls) and Russia loses a huge income stream.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Historically, picking fights with Russia tends to prove to be a big mistake.

The Saudis may find that the Russians are not quite the soft touch that the US turned out to be.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by squarehead666

Totally agreed. That's probably why they keep trying the carrot, they know Russia will hold the partially responsible if anything happens to their pipeline.

Personally I'd like to see Russia just park their Navy at their port in Syria and put an end to this western instigated war.
(Before we find "more WMD's!)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Oh, this is rich. Very interesting. I love reading stuff like this,
I don't know why I haven't come across it yet. Was it easy for you to find?

Also, can I ask what your avatar is of?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

I have a list of news sites I follow every day. Zerohedge.com is basically an economy focused site and that's where I've seen this particular issue reported a couple times. Seemed worth passing along.

The avatar is me
Actually it's a Corel Photopaint modified jpg of part of an old book cover by Roger Zelazny, Trumps of Doom if I remember correctly.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

I have a list of news sites I follow every day. Zerohedge.com is basically an economy focused site and that's where I've seen this particular issue reported a couple times. Seemed worth passing along.

The avatar is me
Actually it's a Corel Photopaint modified jpg of part of an old book cover by Roger Zelazny, Trumps of Doom if I remember correctly.

The issue is very suggestive, that's for certain. I'm relieved to read that at least some have not given in to bribery and then at the same time wondering what in the world is going to happen next.

As for the avatar, I wondered why you had a dot for an avatar so I came in real close to look at it... now my paradolia seems to be getting really active. Interesting. although the only resemblance I see to the book cover is the cloak.. but I'll take your word for it.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Gad I admire a KGB spook more than our president,there's a new low.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I just knew there was a pipeline in the mix somewhere...................so there it is....

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I just knew there was a pipeline in the mix somewhere...................so there it is....

I will sell them the Keystone pipeline!! A couple of gently used Mig21's and some technicians to keep them up and running and they can have the whole ball of wax.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Saudi Arabia dangles lucrative arms deal in front of Russia in exchange for dropping Assad – report
rt.com...

Moscow ‘rejects’ Saudi ‘offer’ to drop Assad for rich arms deal
rt.com...

Saudi Prince Bandar: Sponsor of Violence against Syria
abna.ir...

US-backed Saudi Arabia tries to bribe President Putin into stopping his defense of Syria
axisoflogic.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Encore

Saudi Arabia dangles lucrative arms deal in front of Russia in exchange for dropping Assad – report
rt.com...
Moscow ‘rejects’ Saudi ‘offer’ to drop Assad for rich arms deal
rt.com...
Saudi Prince Bandar: Sponsor of Violence against Syria
abna.ir...
US-backed Saudi Arabia tries to bribe President Putin into stopping his defense of Syria
axisoflogic.com...

Yeah, this is the real deal. Not surprised that the MSM isn't talking about this much (if at all.) Don't want the little people forming opinions of what's really going on in the Middle East.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can see why the Russians turned this down, The Saudis are not going to buy the junk the Russians normaly sell and the Russians are having a very hard time turning out advanced weapons systems that work in any sort of numbers.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Maybe so but I think the Saudi's would purchase a pile of empty vodka bottles from Russia for billions of dollars if they could get Putin to bail on Assad.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Saudis are desperately looking for Russia's support to win this whatever it is they have started in Syria...They very well know that if the rebels lose the war their own time is going to be up just waiting at the corner....They fell for a trick and now have to pay the consequences all by themselves.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago
So what is poor Saudi Arabia to do? How about a big bribe to get their way?

Russia should demand payment is gold up front. After the transaction clears, they should nuke Saudi Arabia.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
I can see why the Russians turned this down, The Saudis are not going to buy the junk the Russians normaly sell and the Russians are having a very hard time turning out advanced weapons systems that work in any sort of numbers.

What specific Russian "junk" systems are you referring to? Names, dates and places would be appreciated.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join