It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New research shows crustaceans feel pain.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Robert Elwood highlights new research, at Behaviour 2013 meeting in the UK, showing that crustaceans feel pain.

In two different experiments they delivered shocks to crabs and hermit crabs while they were choosing a residence. The crabs, after the shock, preferred to go to a different home. This demonstrates long-term motivational change which, according to Elwood, is consistent with a definition of pain.

blogs.nature.com...

Think about that the next time you see a lobster being boiled alive. I understand we need to kill an animal to eat it(I like meat and have no moral dilemma about it), but we don't have to torture it.

Would you be ok with ripping a cows legs off before we killed it?

This topic as been broached on ATS before, but I haven't seen a thread about it. I thought I would start one. Here is another discussion found on ATS about crustaceans and pain.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=13378142#pid13378142

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
what do you suppose a lion feels about ripping the legs off a gazelle?

We are apart of nature, not separate from it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I am sure that a majority of people already knew that they felt pain. Many choose to ignore the thoughts though and others love to see those that are below them suffering. This is almost like when scientists discovered fish could feel pain. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a fish feels pain, you can see it in their eyes when they are hooked and you can see the relief they show when the hook is removed.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I am sure that a majority of people already knew that they felt pain. Many choose to ignore the thoughts though and others love to see those that are below them suffering. This is almost like when scientists discovered fish could feel pain. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a fish feels pain, you can see it in their eyes when they are hooked and you can see the relief they show when the hook is removed.

I am all for catching and eating fish. But catch and release for sport is like dog fighting.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think this study falls under the "No $#!t, Sherlock" category.
We already know plants feel pain as well. Why wouldn't a lobster?

Pain is the most basic learning tool in nature.

If this study were about rocks, then that would be news.

edit on 8-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
I think this study falls under the "No $#!t, Sherlock" category.
We already know plants feel pain as well. Why wouldn't a lobster?

Pain is the most basic learning tool in nature.

If this study were about rocks, then that would be news.

Well it was news to me. Current theory is that invertebrates do not have a complex enough nervous system to feel pain.

One example from the Lobster Institute at The University of Maine:

"Do lobsters feel pain?
The Lobster Institute has received many inquires about whether boiling lobsters is humane. Being concerned about this important question, researchers conducted experiments and studied the lobster’s nervous system. The nervous system of a lobster is very primitive; in fact it is most similar to the nervous system of an insect. If one compares the diagram of a lobster’s nervous system to that of a grasshopper, the similarities are apparent. Neither insects nor lobsters have brains. For an organism to perceive pain it must have a complex nervous system. Neurophysiologists tell us that lobsters, like insects, do not process pain."

People can "suppose" and suspect that they feel pain, but what I posted was someone offering proof.

edit on 8-8-2013 by kmb08753 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Are you a lion or an "evolved animal"?

A lion licks his own butthole. Do you lick your own butthole?

(i shouldn't ask such questions.)

edit on 8-8-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotya

Dont knock it till you try it what I always say.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Agreed. That's just how a lion eats. We know and can do better. We don't need to torture our food. Kill it, but kill it quickly.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Dont knock it till you try it what I always say.

I'm not going to lick my own butthole.

One time in bandcamp I stuck a.......

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Does plants feel pain?

A number of studies have shown that plants feel pain, and vegetables are picked and often eaten while still alive. Animal rights activists are often in the news, but has anyone ever protested for vegetable rights?

www.theguardian.com...

So now even crustaceans feel pain, so I guess we humans should starve to death if we are to feel sorry for everything we eat.

Before you eat your fresh salad next time remember that it could be screaming in pain.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kmb08753

The Lobster Institute has received many inquires about whether boiling lobsters is humane. Being concerned about this important question, researchers conducted experiments and studied the lobster’s nervous system. The nervous system of a lobster is very primitive; in fact it is most similar to the nervous system of an insect. If one compares the diagram of a lobster’s nervous system to that of a grasshopper, the similarities are apparent. Neither insects nor lobsters have brains. For an organism to perceive pain it must have a complex nervous system. Neurophysiologists tell us that lobsters, like insects, do not process pain."

People can "suppose" and suspect that they feel pain, but what I posted was someone offering proof.

That's not entirely correct. Take plants for instance; they don't have what we recognize as a "brain" or a "nervous system", yet we now know that not only are they capable of feeling, they also have language.

Pain is a natural part of evolution. It's the guiding force behind defensive mechanisms and adaptability.
This study may have discovered the way crustaceans feel pain, but I think most already knew that they did.

Originally posted by marg6043

So now even crustaceans feel pain, so I guess we humans should starve to death if we are to feel sorry for everything we eat.

Before you eat your fresh salad next time remember that it could be screaming in pain.

Exactly. Live needs life to live. That is the fundamental law of nature. We all must repleminish lost energy with new energy. The more "alive" that energy, the better.
The way I see it; if a vegan only eats veggies due to health concerns, I'm fine with that. If they do it because the "poor cute animals are being killed", then they're idiots. It's like, you kill living things all the time. Come down off your high horse and have some of this delicious cow and pig.

edit on 8-8-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Does plants feel pain?

A number of studies have shown that plants feel pain, and vegetables are picked and often eaten while still alive. Animal rights activists are often in the news, but has anyone ever protested for vegetable rights?

www.theguardian.com...

You just wait when that alien rips your arm off and eats it he'll be saying oh well they don't feel pain, or even if they do who cares.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Does plants feel pain?

www.theguardian.com...

The only moral point I am trying to make is not to torture it. I am an animal and I like meat. No problems for me there. Just be humane about it.

Of course, with lab grown meat and synthetic wood, maybe we won't need to kill things in the future. I'm still going to use bug spray on that hornets nest hanging off my roof though. Bugs are still ok, right?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Hey, I do not dismiss the idea of cannibalism within aliens after all we humans have history of it until recent years.

I read sometime that people with vegetarian diets taste bland but people that have meat diets are very tasty.

Perhaps we have been put in this planet to be the food supplies of some alien beings but the reason they have not harvested us yet is because we are just their last reserves in case of emergency.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Are you saying the Earth is just some Prepper alien's space cache?

Damn.... that's depressing.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kmb08753

I agree, I refuse to consume mass raised and produced meat, I look for farm free range raise animals. I am a believer that meat that is raise in mass quantities have lost their nutritive value and they have bad Karma.

Happy animals have better karma and provide more nutrition.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

Yes I believe we are, no wonder we are becoming bigger in size in recent years, Aliens are fattening us off so harvest time is near.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Right.

I guess my comment was a bit silly. We need to eat but I don't think other animals should suffer to feed humans.

Eat what you want but remember every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss

This study may have discovered the way crustaceans feel pain, but I think most already knew that they did.

How did you already know this? There have been other studies like it. Is that what you mean?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join