It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I've just cleared the cache on my browser - Google chrome - and tried to open the ATS homepage. It's been running slowly lately but when i opened the page i got a message from Norton telling me it's a known phishing page and tried to block me. I tried again, same thing happened. It's working now as i've logged in Incognito.
Is this happening to anyone else??

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
get rid of google they are the enemy use firefox with ixquick or duck duck gogo

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Thanks, doing it now

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Get rid of Norton. It is worse than McAfee.

Trend Micro, Kasspersky, Comodo, AVG (the last 2 have free versions) are so far superior.

FF is the better browser, but Chrome works well on older machines that have issues with bloated browsers like FF. I use FF, the wife's netbook uses Chrome.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Damn, i have Norton and McAfee installed.
I uninstalled Chrome, added FF.
Any other tips guys?
P.s Thanks for the help

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EA006

i have a 5 year old laptop running Kaspersky and i use FF with No Script, TACO/Abine, and ABP installed as a plugin. I have never had a virus, my computer runs like a total dream (except the battery cells are dead). And I have taken this computer into some pretty grimy sites over those years.

I would say "That's all you need", Except if you are running slow currently you might want to run a Malwarebytes scan (update first, then scan) to see if there are any critters hiding in there.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Want a laugh mate? i did as you said and added TACO to FF. It's telling me my connection is linked to a router from CHEYENNE, WY. U.S.A.
IP: 2.220.43.46
Check it out. 401 Unauthorized.
Run a search on Google, guess what's there?
BRAND NEW NSA MEGA DATA STORAGE FACILITY

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by EA006
I've just cleared the cache on my browser - Google chrome - and tried to open the ATS homepage. It's been running slowly lately but when i opened the page i got a message from Norton telling me it's a known phishing page and tried to block me. I tried again, same thing happened. It's working now as i've logged in Incognito.
Is this happening to anyone else??

Oh, wow....two issues I see - Google and Norton.

I would recommend ANYTHING but Norton. I could talk for a week about major issues with that company. It's not what it used to be, and is more of a virus than a virus blocker. Seriously. I had it some time back, and had constant and major issues with my system. After many months of frustration, high level tech people looking into things, etc., Norton was found to be the problem. The blasted thing literally blocked critical Windows security updates, and the company told me that those "interfered" with their program. Removed it, spent a LONG time hunting down little wormy traces it left, and replaced it with Kaspersky, and no issues with the system since. MANY high level computer people, including several I know personally, recommend not using Norton.

Google - where do I start? Simply, they invade your privacy, bypass security settings, and are a menace. Firefox is great, and there are better search engines. As already suggested, DuckDuckGo is a decent one. They don't track AT ALL. There are many others as well.

I haven't seen the issue that you describe at all. I do get warnings from the Kaspersky, too, and considering what Norton did to the system, I would not trust them. If you do dump Norton, you will want a real cleanup of your system. If you aren't able yourself to check the registry for traces, find someone that can, and be sure to get out all the pieces. Searches for not only "Norton", but "Symantec" will be needed. Even their supposed "removal tool", claimed to get it all out, won't do it. I actually have all google cookies blocked on my browser, after finding that they added them even when third party ones were supposedly not allowed, and I didn't visit any google sites.

top topics

join