It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanjay Gupta Apologizes For 'Misleading' Public About Weed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Mods I believe this is inline with Skeptic overlords post on the first
Posse Comitatus intro post about this topic. If not forgive me.

While we are now allowing the discussion of drug-related topics in an open, public, and searchable forum, we WILL NOT tolerate advocacy of recreation use in any way.

Sanjay Gupta Apologized for misleading public about weed

Speaking to Piers Morgan, Gupta, who has a documentary on weed airing on Sunday, said he had previously helped to "mislead" the American public about the effects of the drug. "I have apologized for some of the earlier reporting because I think, you know, we've been terribly and systematically misled in this country for some time," he said. "And I did part of that misleading."

He goes on to further say,

I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse." They didn't have the science to support that claim, and I now know that when it comes to marijuana neither of those things are true. It doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works.

So how many levels is this, DEA/ BIG PHARMA / PRISON industry, all have reasons to continue the Prohibition on MEDICAL cannabis use.

Its time to admit the Government view on Medical Cannabis is false, how many people take Big Pharma poison while a reasonable healthier alternative exist. This is an issue with me as my mother died from liver failure due to a chronic pain injury and the meds they kept pumping her full of, I wonder what would of been if I had dropped the puritanical attitude toward Medical Cannabis I once had and offered her an alternative.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Pretty sure I saw this posted earlier and it's since disappeared. So that will prolly happen here too.....

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
Pretty sure I saw this posted earlier and it's since disappeared. So that will prolly happen here too.....

In no way am I advocating recreational use, I am saying that the governments view on the Medical Applications of cannabis (that there is none) is flat wrong. It is motivated by greed, lobbying by not only big pharma but the other side of the issue as well the people who profit off its prohibition in general.

ETA: I ask that responders to this thread do the same, and Avoid the topic of recreational use, PLEASE keep this to the medical applications of only.
edit on 8-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
What's the agenda here though?

Of course it's a great medicine it always has been most cultures knew a little about it.

But why are all the MSM agencies pushing for this right now? Hmmm?

Taxes?
Appeasement?
Diversion?

I even saw FOX news taking "intelligent approaches" to the topic recently...which is very strange.
Somethings up.

"If it seems too good to be true, than it probably is." - Some smart person a long time ago

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Of course it's a great medicine it always has been most cultures knew a little about it.

Taxes?
Appeasement?
Diversion?

I even saw FOX news taking "intelligent approaches" to the topic recently...which is very strange.
Somethings up.

"If it seems too good to be true, than it probably is." - Some smart person a long time ago

There is the thought that the masses needs a new opiate, Zoloft, Xanax, Lexapro seem not to be doing the job.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Or it could be actual time for a common sense approach as information and education are at this point in history ALL around us and accessible in ways never before seen.

It's not billy bob and barry snickering in the bar about the hippies, any more.

It could, I hop, be that we're starting to see change that will lead to responsibilty when it comes to this. I really hope so, because it's far far over due.

Why do the govt. big pharma et al want to keep it where it is, demonised and struck down, all boils down to dollars. Simple. The marijuana business is the only one that feeds into the system at both ends. Prisons like the easy and pliable clients.

Who would you rather have in your luxury estate? A rapist or a plant handler. Especailly when you would rather keep the money given to you to build nicer walls around your estate.

I really do hope we're seeing change... and not just a rocking of the status quo, the ebb and flow of reasoning... But even if there is change in the winds, it's got a lot of huff and puff from old farts in positions of arrogance and power to combat. They won't accept change so easily. And to some of them there is no difference between a rapist and a plant handler at all..

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It had to do with the paper and oil industry when it first became illegal, now its big pharm. whoever is dominating the market always finds a reason to keep it under wraps. Of course, thats a whole 'nother thread.
edit on 8-8-2013 by Mnemicrsl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Taxes?
Appeasement?
Diversion?

Somethings up.

There is the thought that the masses needs a new opiate, Zoloft, Xanax, Lexapro seem not to be doing the job.

The irony around those drugs is so disgusting it makes my brain puke... drugs modelled on the characteristics of illicit ones that were used in the 60's and 70's. Ones that caused peace movements and radical change.

But remove the synergistic effect of 'well being' that is included in those things, and leave the long term effects - jaw clenching, mania, brain zaps - and then tell someone to take that pill fort the rest of their life, and it's a big pharma winner.

While they continue to lock up ebeneezer and proclaim his wares a detriment to sanity and minds everywhere.

Serotonin and dopamine act the same way whether you pay at the night club or at the doctors...

edit on 8-8-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Good job to the site owners and staff for allowing this discussion..
And members need to be aware of not posting stupid comments or their experiences.

Marijuana is like the forbidden fruit in the garden of eden.
It is not for recreational use, but many fall prey.
It is for medical use and it does work.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by benrl

[snip]

I appreciate the thought, but many times threads like these can get hit with TOS violations from devolving from civil discourse on the matter to blatant advocacy of recreational use to name calling.

It should be known at the start of the thread I used the alert function to ask the mods if this is ok and request over site of the thread to ensure this info stays up.

I feel this is an important article and a vital piece of information for people to have.
edit on 8-8-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
To me it doesn't matter really if something is healthy or not.

What matters is that as a human being I have the right to choose what goes into my body.

That means if I say no to something everyone thinks will "help me", so be it.
And if I want to eat bacon all day and die of a heart attack, so be it.

Who owns your body?
The state or you?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Look at our language itself for the truth about what is really going on:

When people say things like "We will let them for medicinal etc"
"LET THEM" = key words of importance.

This indicates that people think they have the authority to decide behavior for others based on personal taste/choice.

This is the terminology of tyranny.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The major benefits will come from hemp production.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here's the CNN write up on it which gives a breakdown of his view. I believe he will also have a special on Sunday evening.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

To me it doesn't matter really if something is healthy or not.

What matters is that as a human being I have the right to choose what goes into my body.

That means if I say no to something everyone thinks will "help me", so be it.
And if I want to eat bacon all day and die of a heart attack, so be it.

Who owns your body?
The state or you?

A person, when facing their own medical treatment, should have all the information there is, and know all the options.

In the current system we don't,

I won't even get into the fact the government feels the need to drug us for our own good (fluoride).

There are to many broken things in the US, and they all can be traced back to the greed of Career politicians and their corporate masters. This is just one issue of many, that is intertwined with the systemic corruption of the system and the eroding of checks and balances.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaeTheShaman

If you do, please refrain from bringing that to a thread that seeks to enlighten people about the positive medical uses.

Otherwise Id think you where trying to derail this thread, PLEASE DO NOT ADVOCATE FOR none medical use, or imply it.

ETA: I greatly appreciate the Mods indulgence and tolerance already shown in this thread, truly the under appreciated heroes of ATS, as my bottom tag shows I firmly believe all ideas need to be debated in a free and open society, this still being one of the last visages of our freedoms we can still practice regularly.

Even if we all are most definitely on a list some where...
edit on 8-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Keep in mind that coc aine is a schedule II drug, whereas marijuana is a schedule I drug when considering the following:

Well documented medical uses with little to no alternatives: check.
Addiction rate less than heroin and coc aine: check.
Less potential for abuse than heroin and coc aine: check.
Fewer side effects than many legal medical drugs: check.

Considering all of the above I have no idea why this is still an issue. There is absolutely no reason why coc aine is a schedule II drug and marijuana is schedule I. The almighty dollar reigns supreme yet again.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

I greatly appreciate the Mods indulgence and tolerance already shown in this thread, truly the under appreciated heroes of ATS, as my bottom tag shows I firmly believe all ideas need to be debated in a free and open society, this still being one of the last visages of our freedoms we can still practice regularly.
Agreed

I wonder if this new thinking maybe be because of the sheer number of people who now know the truth about this substance. Must be more than 50% of the voters???
When people see a lie in one place they quickly realise there may be more lie's, and then they start looking for them!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join