It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lavabit, email service used by Snowden, shuts down

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
I guess we won't be seeing the development of new spy proof technologies any more. I find this more disturbing than the spying itself. Its obvious that privacy is now becoming illegal.

its a worrying trend. pretty much becoming the staple that "if you want privacy, you therefore have something to hide, so you must be doing something wrong, otherwise why would you try and hide it?"

its disgusting the amount of people that think this now-a-days. "why would i care if people see what i write, say, do, think, see, smell, where i am 24/7? i have nothing to hide!"

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

"We live in the era of Snowden and (WikiLeaks founder Julian) Assange,
declared Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales

"All kinds of information that people would prefer to remain secret or private are being exposed."

Wales said Snowden's leaks about sweeping spy programs caused him to have a "serious rethink about security." Fearing intrusions from government agencies like the National Security Agency in the U.S., Wales announced that Wikipedia would move to encrypt its pages using SSL, or secure socket layer encryption, which protects users from outside monitoring.

Wales also asked Wikipedians to help him think of a new "hybrid model" of journalism, where volunteers could work with professional journalists to produce serious stories that would counter "tabloid nonsense" like stories about the girlfriend of Edward Snowden

link

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
A guy builds his company for 10 years, putting all of his heart and sweat into it, and then the Government shuts it down because someone who used it happens to be someone the Goverment doesnt like.

If current trends continue we`ll be a totalitarian dictatorship within the next 10 years.

10 years is a bit optimistic IMO, I will give it 3 to 5.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
And all this proves what?

How damaging Snowden's words are or could be.

I wonder what use Putin can put them to?

Remember that,as someone else pointed out, the US only entered the 2nd WW to halt the advance of the Russian army. Pay back maybe?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
the US only entered the 2nd WW to halt the advance of the Russian army. Pay back maybe?

Someone failed history, bigtime.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Only a couple posters had any relevant content or thoughts to add. I am not directing this at optical so-n-so or the nearby poster saying it may well be a gimmick. As for the others, aren't people sick of reading noncontributory, "Me Too" "sheeple" racket? How many posts in a week here on ATS are broad generalizations, "TPTB control the world" believe-everything-you-read especially when it neatly fits into the puzzle in one's head which is supposed to explain current economic/political/social events in a way that seems neither reliable nor studied.

This should be 1 of the places on the web where multiple theories are thrown out there, concerning topics such as this. Insteadwe have the 1st page of replies being (almost each & every 1) derivative & lazy. It's so easy to say "theyre shredding the constitution"... This is a place to let off steam and rant like a crotchety old person who's ways are "better"? Or a place where posts usually contribute something worth talking about?
PLEASE SEE EDIT
On to the topic: it seems rather suspect that this person wants to open the company later as an American company, yet is claiming some vague legal hurdles rendering the current company shut down...
What reach does US government (or rather, military investigators SINCE "US GOVT" is SUCH A BLANKET LABEL) have into wherever Lavabit is? The very language on the annoncement seems hypocritical, Why, unless he wasbeing paid, would someone in his (unverified) situation want to open up shop IN America? Legal defense fund? Sounds like someone who did some crash-test research on how to monetize a chance involvement in a story which became a media circus.
edit on 9-8-2013 by kkrattiger because: Pardon me, if u posted contributory post. I neglected to read the next 4 pgs. I still hold to my statement, however,that it's becoming an echo chamber on ATS.

edit on 9-8-2013 by kkrattiger because: VOYGER's post above, on this page, is a good example of contributing, not regurgitating platitudes

edit on 9-8-2013 by kkrattiger because: Edit for dang typos goof grief

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rayuki
its a worrying trend. pretty much becoming the staple that "if you want privacy, you therefore have something to hide, so you must be doing something wrong, otherwise why would you try and hide it?"

If they were right, they should publish their debit card number and pin code. They should tell everybody on the Internet (as some poor sods actually do!) that they will leave for a long trip abroad and not be surprised when they find their homes looted upon arriving back. Even more so if they did not feel the need to keep the code of their alarm system a secret. They should tell everybody that they are gay, especially if they are part of a football team or live in a fundamentalist state or country. They should openly admit being attracted to their fourteen year old neighbour girl, even if they would not even dream of doing something to her. They should inform the masses about their masturbation practices. They should tell all where they hide that gun they (legally) obtained and the code of the strongbox they put it in, so somebody else can fire the gun and blame them. They should accept that everybody knows how poor or rich they are, hence enabling thugs to select their targets more easily. They should tell everybody to which schools their children go, especially if they are wealthy, and of course by which means, especially if the child will walk or bike by itself. They should demand that information about their health be public, so the insurance companies can select only rich, healthy people to insure. They should make sure everybody knows they are American Christians, making them easier targets for fundamentalist fools. They should allow everybody to obtain their DNA, so we can set them up if we commit a crime. And indeed, the State should be the first to know it all, as history proves that States are run by a very special type of being, the Uebermensch, who is always trustworthy, has no personal interest in you and your data, will always obey the will of the people and will guarantee that your data can not fall into the wrong hands at all costs. Like Snowden, Assange etc. QED.

Heck, yeah, what are you hiding there, you must be doing something wrong!
edit on 9-8-2013 by ForteanOrg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog81

How in the world did we let TPTB have so much power.
Sad day. We shouldn't have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Certainly is not what the average person expects to happen when they vote someone into office.

edit on 9-8-2013 by 1loserel2 because: add

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog81

Now if only more companies had the backbone to do what the founder of Lavabit did, I'd be much happier. Honestly, this is what I expect a company to do, if it's being told to do something like this, they should close their servers and encrypt it all until the day comes where they can get back up and running again.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The president is on tv at this very moment, talking about transparency.... Someone needs to ask him to stop lying to the faces of all people on this planet.
edit on 9-8-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

I really cant agree that its the poor that fight to defend their rights. For the poor every day is an excercise in just trying to survive...they dont have the means or the power to fight.

As I see it the true arbiters of power in any Democracy, are the middle class. They are just comfortable enough, and have enough means and time to protest for change. This is why Obama and Co. are doing their level best to gut the middle class. The rich are the beneficiaries of Government favour and largess, therefore they have a vested interest in maintaining the staus quo.

In closing, the US is an empire in decline....and as history has repeatedly shown, at some point the people become the enemy of a power class bent on it's own survival and primacy. All the weapons your tax dollars paid to develop will now be turned against you because you are now the greatest threat they face.

This man that owns this web service has shown that there are still good people willing to fight rather than give into the governments bullying tactics. I hope that there are a lot more like him willing to do the same....or we can kiss what little freedom we have goodbye.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Next is the 2 nd amendment, and then the fall.
Liberty will go out with a wimper..........

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is absolutely sickening.

And the even worse part is... I can't say I'm surprised.

The last 10 years of my short life the government has done nothing but let me down more and more. Pathetic.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Originally posted by dowot
the US only entered the 2nd WW to halt the advance of the Russian army. Pay back maybe?

Someone failed history, bigtime.

Somebody failed reading and comprehension, or was a bit economical with the truth..

I said..."Remember that,as someone else pointed out, the US only entered the 2nd WW to halt the advance of the Russian army. Pay back maybe?"

Note the..."as someone else pointed out,"

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by topdog81
The president is on tv at this very moment, talking about transparency.... Someone needs to ask him to stop lying to the faces of all people on this planet.
edit on 9-8-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

"Transparency" is the code word that means the opposite of "Privacy".

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
To force a company that helps people with privacy to shut down is an outrageous move.And the lack of protest from other politicians and the media is even more worrisome.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

"Transparency" is the code word that means the opposite of "Privacy".

That is a very good point, its our lives that become transparent, we lose privacy,
not those that claim to have our best interests at heart.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Originally posted by dominicus
WOW!!!!!
United Stazi of America....it's like we're living in Hitler controlled Germany!!!!!
I simply cannot EFFIN BELIEVE that these types of acts are going on in American which is supposed to be built on the constitution.
I want to throw up right now and think I will......Uncle Sam is a little beeatch!!!!!

Nazi Germany Tyranny

Congo Tyranny

American Tyranny

dear god you poor people, how will you survive?

Stop begin so damn melodramatic. The website was facilitating someone breaking the law.
Just because we agree with him, (and I do) doesn't mean he wasn't breaking the law.
There are thousands of email servers out there he can use..

You all crying like the world is coming to an end its pathetic.. its like the boy crying wolf but on grand scale.
Your acting like children. There are real issues out there, real problems that deserve our attention..
yet, an internet email account going offline is what makes you cry and moan about liberty?

.. First country to invade America wins.. you guys have really got major social issues!

How dare you put things in perspective. Seriously, great post. People on here do tend to exaggerate...and get indignant when you point it out to them.

Also, I like how the fat kid is sitting one foot away from the TV and is still using the remote.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
land of the oppressed...
tyranny

some of you have no idea of the meaning of these words..
boohoo poor bloody Americans, your still have more freedoms and rights than many many many other nations yet you pretend like your living in the slums of congo.

Land of the oppressed... tyranny... these are the things our founding fathers warned us of, and those of us who study american history have a pretty good grasp to their interpretation. And you may be right, we may still be freer than most, but that doesn't make this situation right, any more than the situation in congo.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForteanOrg
[ And indeed, the State should be the first to know it all, as history proves that States are run by a very special type of being, the Uebermensch, who is always trustworthy, has no personal interest in you and your data, will always obey the will of the people and will guarantee that your data can not fall into the wrong hands at all costs. Like Snowden, Assange etc. QED.

Actually, the Ubermensch would be more likely to follow his own will than that of the herd.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join