It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lavabit, email service used by Snowden, shuts down

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Sometimes actions are louder than words. People should bookmark this one, because these actions suggest all the others are playing into the requests and/or demands being handed down upon them.

Exactly. It means that even if you're paying for a "secure" IP, they would not exist unless they had already aquiesced to NSA/ government demands.

It will be interesting to see how hackers respond to this.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by topdog81
reply to post by boncho

The actions of the U.S. government in this and many other situations-

Suggest that every concept of civil liberty, freedom, and privacy have been abolished. Anyone that thinks otherwise is drowning in the Kool-aid.

A tragic demise to the construct of living free and of one's own volition.

Truly a light has gone out in the world. Most Americans are not aware yet, just how bad this is.

Welcome to the New World Order.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuranVector

Originally posted by geobro
what next smoke signals or carrier pigeon to carry messages people need to play tptb at their own game and swamp them with gibberish emails texts etc .

A secret code needs to be developed and changed periodically.

That's what the Nazis used, enigma. Your kneejerk reaction is for everyone to act out as if they are employed by a foreign enemy power??? Insane.

This man who owns the company was not arrested. What's the big deal here, he was shown how to comply with the law and obviously did comply or he would have been arrested as accomplice or on conspiracy charges or whatever.

If you supply a safehouse for illegal activity, you go up the river with the rest of the criminals that get caught. Perfectly normal nothing new to see here.
All the boohoo babies who think the internet is their own sandbox or playground, to do whatever they want in it, are having an extraordinarily large tantrum.
Also there are probably a lot of this guys customers who are now wearing depends a few decades sooner than normal.

Carry on.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
WOW!!!!!

United Stazi of America....it's like we're living in Hitler controlled Germany!!!!!

I simply cannot EFFIN BELIEVE that these types of acts are going on in American which is supposed to be built on the constitution.

I want to throw up right now and think I will......uncle sam is a little beeatch!!!!!

reply to post by Agit8dChop

nations yet you pretend like your living in the slums of congo.

you might want to take that back...... i can take yo to a few slums in detroit and chicago, gun filled killers who won't flinch an eye at blasting at you, starving kids with flies on em......happens here too!!!! U.S. is falling apart in many places

Uncle Sam is not a " little beeatch" -- Uncle Sam was murdered decades ago. They've been using an impersonator.

By the time enough Americans woke up enough to be able to recognize the fraud, it was too late.

Detroit is an example of what is coming to the rest of the US. Detroit was the first one to fall -- the harbinger.

TPTB will turn the US into Detroit.
edit on 8-8-2013 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Stop begin so damn melodramatic. The website was facilitating someone breaking the law.
Just because we agree with him, (and I do) doesn't mean he wasn't breaking the law.
There are thousands of email servers out there he can use..

You all crying like the world is coming to an end its pathetic.. its like the boy crying wolf but on grand scale.
Your acting like children. There are real issues out there, real problems that deserve our attention..
yet, an internet email account going offline is what makes you cry and moan about liberty?

.. First country to invade America wins.. you guys have really got major social issues!

You are not understanding what all of this means. It's not just NSA general surveillance of our emails and telephone calls.

For the last two years, the NSA has been storing the CONTENT of all our emails and telephone calls.

Let's see how this can be used against the average citizen.

What if (as an example) TPTB decide that Joe the Plumber needs to be designated as an "Enemy of the State."

All they have to do is pull up something from his emails & calls they have stored that can be twisted into "incriminationg evidence."

This stored data can also be used to blackmail someone into doing something for the government that he would normally be loathed to do. All they have to do is pull something out of his emails or calls that he does not want publicized.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

TPTB are already corrupt and they have the power to collect endless private information -- to be used in corrupt ways.

This story ends badly for the average citizen.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
America land of the oppressed

Guess the USA and UK spent all that time fighting the NAZIS in world war 2 for nothing. We may have well surrenderd then as we lost our freedoms anyways, just took longer for them to die.

The problem is that Germany lost the war, but the Nazis merely went underground. Take a look at the original members of the Bilderbergers.

Many Nazis were imported into the US in Operation Paperclip. The Nazis did not lose the war, Germany did.

What you have said is painstakingly true the men and women who died for freedom in ww2 were stabbed in the back by the corporations and the military which became what President IKE warned America to watchout for it in his farewell speech when he left office. Kennedy warned us to but we did not listen and now is it to late? I hope not. The tree of liberty is drying up and needs to be watered.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

Guess the USA and UK spent all that time fighting the NAZIS in world war 2 for nothing. We may have well surrenderd then as we lost our freedoms anyways, just took longer for them to die.

The problem is that Germany lost the war, but the Nazis merely went underground. Take a look at the original members of the Bilderbergers.

Many Nazis were imported into the US in Operation Paperclip. The Nazis did not lose the war, Germany did.

What you have said is painstakingly true the men and women who died for freedom in ww2 were stabbed in the back by the corporations and the military which became what President IKE warned America to watchout for it in his farewell speech when he left office. Kennedy warned us to but we did not listen and now is it to late? I hope not. The tree of liberty is drying up and needs to be watered.

I wish to God I'm wrong -- that we could have a miracle to save the US. I just don't know how it can be done.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
Scary stuff. It's right there at lavabit.com... too. If this isn't proof the U.S is headed towards a police state I don't know what is. It seems obvious that congress is completely onboard with these plans, despite the fact they represent an overwhelming majority of Americans who are NOT in favor of domestic spying.

You have a President who ran on a platform of government transparency and respect for the constitution who turned out to be a liar and has trampled both, a congress with no regard for the will of the people who put them there, and secret courts that you aren't allowed to know about. So much for checks and balances?

Like I have said before we are already living in a police state cause the republic is no more!
I suspect things will only continue to decline and Americans will continue to live in denial~
All politicians lie but today they no longer care if we know it because the Illusion is over!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

I wish to God I'm wrong -- that we could have a miracle to save the US. I just don't know how it can be done.

The bible is very clear it anin't getting any better as a matter of fact it is going to get far worse than it is far far worse.
edit on 8-8-2013 by guitarplayer because: no reason

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
There has been no crime by Lavabit that has been committed against the American People

The owners of of Lavabit are guilty of committing crimes against the people who own the American government and political system.
edit on 8-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Lines are being drawn.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItCameFromOuterSpace
Lines are being drawn.

Agreed and I would add-
I think it's safe to say the 'lines' have been crossed.
edit on 8-8-2013 by topdog81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Stop begin so damn melodramatic. The website was facilitating someone breaking the law.
Just because we agree with him, (and I do) doesn't mean he wasn't breaking the law.
There are thousands of email servers out there he can use..

You all crying like the world is coming to an end its pathetic.. its like the boy crying wolf but on grand scale.
Your acting like children. There are real issues out there, real problems that deserve our attention..
yet, an internet email account going offline is what makes you cry and moan about liberty?

.. First country to invade America wins.. you guys have really got major social issues!

You are not understanding what all of this means. It's not just NSA general surveillance of our emails and telephone calls.

For the last two years, the NSA has been storing the CONTENT of all our emails and telephone calls.

Let's see how this can be used against the average citizen.

What if (as an example) TPTB decide that Joe the Plumber needs to be designated as an "Enemy of the State."

All they have to do is pull up something from his emails & calls they have stored that can be twisted into "incriminationg evidence."

This stored data can also be used to blackmail someone into doing something for the government that he would normally be loathed to do. All they have to do is pull something out of his emails or calls that he does not want publicized.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

TPTB are already corrupt and they have the power to collect endless private information -- to be used in corrupt ways.

This story ends badly for the average citizen.

You may also add that the stored data can used to the economic and imperialistic advantage of those who can access it. It is likely this has already happened. For example, I read an article about Raytheon swiping a defense contract from an Irish company using info obtained from PRISM.

Someone can use that data to suck all the (remaining) big money to their own coffers. Companies outside of the the governments' interest can be targeted fiscally in myriad subvesive ways, by the ones with the data.

The data can be sold, too, to US corporate interests to use in their further conquest of the world economy.

With the corporations already deeply embedded in the US government, it only follows that this data could be used in the corporations' end games.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Just now , i googled Lavabit , and immediately my computer was attacked by a virus : Hack.Exploit.Script.JS.Agent.kx , but interestingly , my chinese antivirus quickly deleted it
Am not advertising , but you guys should seriously think about using this antivirus
rising.com.cn...
Antivirus link : pc.rising.com.cn...
Firewall link : pc.rising.com.cn...

This is a full version free antivirus + firewall
Sorry for this offtopic post

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog81

People are calling this scary, but this is exactly what has gone on with all the big e-mail providers, including Google. The difference is that the owner of Lavabit has the integrity to protect the privacy of his customers, so he shut down his service rather than sellout his customers to the government. The same cannot be said of Google, Microsoft, etc.

I'm actually heartened by this because for once a US email provider is being as forthright as possible about government attempts to control his business.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

What a pathetic post. Nazi germany ended up as bad as it did because people didn't do anything about it before it was too late. Just because things in the U.S haven't sank to that particular level of depravity doesn't mean people shouldn't be concerned about the direction the country is headed. If more people had been concerned about the direction their country was headed in, maybe hitler could have been stopped before he unleashed the nazi war machine on the world. Your post does nothing to encourage vigilance (and seems to almost encourage and mock apathy at the same time). Go right ahead and make light of the situation, I just hope for your sake and ours that you can still laugh about it in 20 years.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ecapsretuo

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
All data that passes through any server physically ON AMERICAN SOIL is legally under jurisdiction of the US government.
Companies must submit access to their clients' data, to the government BY LAW, and are forbidden to admit doing so BY LAW. The law was likely passed at the inception of the PRISM program.
[...]
People, the big story to be revealed is: the government is not "eavesdropping" on your data. THEY LEGALLY OWN IT!

100% agreed. Good post and good analysis.

This is the reason why companies from over here will find themselves forced to unplug and retract their U.S. based development / research sites (both virtual and physical), in order to simply protect their property (to counter-espionage so to speak).

Economically this is absolutely asinine behaviour on parts of the U.S. gov.... but I guess we already knew your current administration doesn't have your economic well-being at heart.
edit on 9-8-2013 by ColCurious because: typos

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

You forgot to post the pictures from our governments
torture camp there, oh wait we don't have any pictures,
they do everything in secret and then decide what
we the supposed free people of this country should and
should not know, they invade and destroy countries
based on false intelligence simply because they had
a hankering for it.

Here is something to remember, many of those pictures
from Germany and the likes never made it out of the
region until it was all said and done, this may well be
the case with us as well, i honestly would be horrified
to see whats actually going on behind closed doors.
I can only imagine what they are doing in the complete
secrecy they seem to have unanimously decided they
need.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
We may have lost our Fourth Amendment rights too as is mentioned in the conclusion of the Fall 2011 Harvard Journal Law of Technology - issue titled

PRIVACY AND THE MODERN GRID

jolt.law.harvard.edu...

The conclusion quotes two authors that say that the Fourth Amendment is almost dead.

RE: SMART METERS:

_Forty million homes will be equipped with smart meters by 2015. These meters
are a rich source of information that is not clearly covered by “existing,
sector-specific Federal privacy statutes.”_

TABLE OF CONTENTS
I. INTRODUCTION .............................................................................. 199
II. THE SMART GRID AND THE CASE FOR SMART METER
DATA PRIVACY .............................................................................. 203
III. SMART METER DATA AND THE FOURTH AMENDMENT .............. 207
A. The Fourth Amendment and Advanced Surveillance
Technologies ........................................................................... 209
B. The Fourth Amendment’s Third-Party Doctrine ...................... 211
1. The Evolution of the Third-Party Doctrine: From
Secret Agents to Stored Records ..................................... 212
2. The Third-Party Doctrine as a Doctrine of
Reasonableness ................................................................ 213
3. The Third-Party Doctrine as a Doctrine of Consent .............. 216
A. The Choice to Disclose ...................................................... 216
B. The Limits of Consent ........................................................ 217
IV. THE CASE FOR SMART METER DATA PRIVACY
LEGISLATION ................................................................................. 218
A. The Case for Leadership by Congress ...................................... 219
B. Two Proposals for Legislative Action ....................................... 220
1. Proposal One: Require Notice and Provide Standing ............ 221
2. Proposal Two: Require a Warrant ......................................... 222
V. CONCLUSION ................................................................................

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join