It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was ATS like in the begining?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
What Simon isn't revealing is that ATS first came out in paperback with a coupon for free 'Ludes on the back page.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by deaf fences hit
i can remember that there once was a global community mood bar where the menu is at the top there, and also one under each avatar when you post, as a personal mood bar. i still have no idea how it was calculated... perhaps it depended on what topics people most posted on... who knows... dfh out.

It depended on what forums the people posted more in. I posted mostly in BTS so my bar was almost always to the left on Tranquil. The more people post in ATS related forums, like the Conspiracy Forums, it would go more to the right.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
JAK has done quite well, tracing ATS back into the 1990's by identifying the "ipcress.com" site for which I gave the member 250 points. But it does go back even further....

BTW, area51researchcenter.com has nothing to do with me.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
www.geocities.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Geocities Page may have been made after the one Jak found.

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by Kellter]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
link
Is this is Simon??

I apologize, this is totally off topic. But, I see you have a cool new avatar. Is there a story that goes with the lighthouse?

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deaf fences hit
i can remember that there once was a global community mood bar where the menu is at the top there,

I remember that. It was cool. Made things look like not much time was left.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Okay, I'm in to... Same points as Simon offered for the first member to discover where "Supreme Skeptic Overlord" first appeared in "CyberSpace". (Nothing to do with ATS... but it is conspiracy-related)

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I apologize, this is totally off topic. But, I see you have a cool new avatar. Is there a story that goes with the lighthouse?

Thanks.

That looks an awful lot like the Montauk Point lighthouse.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
SSO appeared here:

www.subversiveelement.com...

as WOS knows.

MA watched but saved MA's self from revealing too much.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Nope. This will be hard to find. It's mentioned here on ATS in a couple places... but you'll likely not discover it through Google. MA... you're about 7 years too late.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hey MA, that was a good shot. Its quite a coincidence as well as today I was looking for my oldest post on this version of ats, which happens to be from the page you found.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks.

That looks an awful lot like the Montauk Point lighthouse.

WOS -- you are good --- it is Montauk - taken from the bluff at Camp Hero -- close to the gun battlement that has the circular cement track in front of it.

Off to search for the origin of SO --

jm

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Synchronicities aside, the origin of the virtual identity Supreme Skeptic Overlord will indeed be an interesting datum to find.

I would value an introductory course in the techniques of memory hole web searching, where Google loses out to historical private detective work.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

yekway wrote:Wow.

Thats what I say. Quite the topic. Really good to go back into time and see certain stuff that I thought people would of put down to rest and let it go.

Then you'll love UseNet

I remember the internet before GUI. This was when, like the beginning of Star Wars, your words just went off into the distance. This was the Internet of DOS only connects. circa:1974 eg:ArpaNet another Link:ArpaNet.

UseNet is still very active for lots of people w/ their Legends and IBMs. These had 100-130mghtz processors working DOS on 25mgs ram and 200mgb hard drives.

It LIVES!

UseNet Access

[edit on 11/15/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hello and welcome bodebliss, from the adopted Earth home of Howard The Duck.

Have some ATS points from me, for your altruism and friendly demeanor.

May your postings be many and varied, and useful to humanity.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
You guys are missing the REAL famous pic...

This is the ultra secret shuttle program that supplies the moon base via the black space station

[edit on 15-11-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kellter
www.geocities.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Geocities Page may have been made after the one Jak found.

Well done!

ATS first appeared as a website hosted by GeoCities called Area 51 Research Center.

Now Skeptic's answer he is looking for will certainly be more difficult to discover than mine!

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Okay, I'm in to...

Same points as Simon offered for the first member to discover where "Supreme Skeptic Overlord" first appeared in "CyberSpace". (Nothing to do with ATS... but it is conspiracy-related)

Do I have to have a link? Late to game and unsure of the rules.

Supreme Skeptic Overlord first appeared on the Political Conspiracy Forum on Compuserve.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'd kind of like to put a blurb in here since it looks like all the head honchos are participating.

I monitored this website for a long time before I decided to register as a member and I've found that the "atmosphere" here has definitely changed. Here is a prime example of such.
I happened to stumble across this thread
The creator of this thread (journey) finds a story and asks if anyone has any details on it. He finds that no one has, but several of the members collaborate to find out the truth. Journey finally debunks the myth and is even congratulated by one of the moderators.
This thread took place last year! Within the past six months has any of you seen a thread where the members come together and really try to depict whether or not something it true or false (other than a ATS game)? So often I see people post replies and say nothing more than "it's a hoax" or "nice Photoshop job". There is a lack of eagerness to genuinely want to crack some of these threads. ATS'ers use to be salivating at the mouth to take a stab in confirming or denying other ATS'ers threads. God forbid someone post up a blantant hoax or the ATS'ers would eat them alive!

Now days it seems this forum has devolved into a political discussion forum of why Bush is bad for the USA and a haven for hormonally imbalanced teenagers to discuss a bands latest albums name or the latest video game.

Do you all see what I am getting at? I don't care if Were the Police right this time if I wanted to discuss it I would go somewhere else.
I am trying to deny ignorance here not wondering if we should nuke the middle east]

So, to answer cyberdude78s question. IMO ATS use to be a place where people solved and discussed conspiracies and hoaxes.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
rancid

Maybe you missed this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe the analytical nature of ATS is still very much alive and well. The election process caused a short-term shift, but I already see it waning away and the worm turning again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join