It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Governments Deter Humanity's Innately Evil Nature?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Humans are innately evil.

We live in a world full of proof in favour of this statement, just look around.

We are so paranoid and fearful of our fellow country men, fearing they will kill us or steal from us, or do us harm in some way or another, that we have given up some of our freedoms to instate governments to protect us and keep our own neighbors in order. Why? Because we know the evil mind set of others.

It's funny, because we all know what would happen if our government collapsed. Things would spiral out of control in no time, ensue the looting, raping, and murderous nature of man. We know this will happen, we won't all be dancing around under rainbows, licking lollipops.

Countries with weaker and less stable governments that can't maintain order, suffer the consequences of unruly and inherently evil people that will fight, steal and murder one another. Looking mainly at the middle eastern countries with this very problem, we can see proof of this.

It seems we always need a leader to guide us, a police force to deter our evil ways, and a government to control us, lest we devolve into animalistic hunter gatherers.

what do you think? Do we truely NEED to surrender our freedoms to the government in order for safety.

Are the governments movements towards a totalitarian state actually warranted, and for your own good?
edit on 8-8-2013 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think you're correct to a certain degree.

Like you say, we all know the instant government collapes there will be riots, lootings, killings etc etc, it's happened too many times in the past to deny but I think it would be short lived chaos.

After people have gotten that out of their system I think people would regulate themselves into order again, so yes, we do need controlling I guess.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The reason for having a functioning government is the fact that collective action is required to make any sort of society. We simply can't do it all by ourselves. We need a government to make sure things actually get done. Pumping water, making electricity, picking up trash, paving roads...one person acting alone simply can't do all of the things required to make a society.

It isn't just about control and oppression. Not everyone is evil. If the government broke down tomorrow, I certainly wouldn't go out and just start raping and pillaging just because there was no one to stop me.

Like it or not, we are social animals, and if Aristotle is to be believed, we are political animals as well. Forming a government is the natural outcome of us trying to better ourselves.
edit on 8-8-2013 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Cut the crap op.

sick of these lies.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Yes I agree that the government is created to better humanity, and also agree that individually we are too unstable to create such a society without order and control.

It's seems while you disagree with me, you actually agree with me.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Speak for yourself. Perhaps that is your experience, and the way you view yourself. I find, increasingly, that people judge others based upon their own motivations.

Perhaps you do need to be controlled, vis a vis what I describe above. You are using a broad, generalistic approach here. Some of us have resisted all our lives what you describe. Pity, you know so few of us, evidently.

Nope. I don't need to be controlled. In fact, control and manipulation have been the two things that have you judging and writing this.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

So when your government collapses, who will you run to? The police who are now looking out for number one?

Who will come to your rescue if looters decide they want what you've got?

I'm not attacking you I'm just inquiring, when bad people aren't kept in check anymore, who will stop them on your behalf?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hmmm, sounds like you've been staring too long at the fire. I've fallen prone to that myself before. It's very easy to do for the media basically places a magnifying glass on all the criminal and atrocious activity within the world. It's easy to forget that, for all that appalling behavior, most people are decent human beings just trying to get by in the world. When I think about that, I think of all the people that I have met in my lifetime and how many of them I would actually call evil. Stupid? A whole lot from my perspective. Naive? A whole lot from my perspective. Well meaning? Nearly all. But stories of average people living average lives aren't what is focused on in the media. Instead, you get tales of kidnappings, rape, murder and worse in the news along with heavy doses of some of the most repugnant people within the country via reality tv. It creates an inaccurate reflection of what we are actually like as both individuals and collectively. Truly, even in our darkest moments of despair when we view all others as being innately evil, we still end up trusting each other to be respectful strangers. If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to make it through a grocery shopping trip.

Hang in there.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I must admit the news is biased towards negative reporting, can't remember the last time I saw anything good on the news. What a sad state of affairs we are in.

Makes me wonder why? Do we crave negativity over positivity?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I believe that governments are the creation of the "evil" in some, and not a reflection of the inherent nature of humanity.
Yes, it is obvious that the collapse of the amerikan government will be violent. Because it is meant to be, that is the threat politicians use to keep the citizenship in place. The government saddled itself with most of our responsibilities. With that burden they have the ability to give them back, and that is when the tantrum starts. The idea that providing the staples for yourself and family is to much for someone to do by themselves is what enslaves the mind. No you cannot build yourself an ipad, or any of that stuff, but we made it this far without gadgets or government programs for everything.
Call me naive, but I believe if there is a polarity on the nature of humanity; it is relatively positive and creative. That being said though, I do own guns specifically to protect me.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Humans are innately evil.

Nope. Good/Evil is subjective. "Evil" is merely a conflict of interest.

I estimate that only about 5% of the human population is inherently evil, that is, their interests conflict with all of the other 95% of humanity. These are people so ego-driven that they would never help another person unless it greatly benefited themselves to do so.

We live in a world full of proof in favour of this statement, just look around.

The world is full of proof that there are good hearted people as well as neutral people who just mind their own business.

We are so paranoid and fearful of our fellow country men, fearing they will kill us or steal from us, or do us harm in some way or another, that we have given up some of our freedoms to instate governments to protect us and keep our own neighbors in order. Why? Because we know the evil mind set of others.

I'm not afraid someone will kill me or steal from me. I have a lock on my door to keep unwanted visitors out, but I never worry about someone breaking in and it has never happened to me. I don't carry a gun tucked into the back of my pants because I'm not afraid that someone is going to randomly charge at me on the street. So lose the "we". You are afraid, because you assume that everyone is evil and out to get you.

It's funny, because we all know what would happen if our government collapsed. Things would spiral out of control in no time, ensue the looting, raping, and murderous nature of man. We know this will happen, we won't all be dancing around under rainbows, licking lollipops.

If the government collapsed, local authorities wouldn't just disappear overnight. Cities with large poor populations would see a lot of rioting as people scramble to grab all the things they've always wanted but could never afford. A lot of them would just be looking for food to survive. People would then be killed out of conflict to protect what they have. If the local authorities succeed in quelling the riots, a city-state sort of government would arise. If the local authorities are overwhelmed and destroyed, anarchy would soon be followed by the rise of multiple tribes or gangs. Only small, tight knit communities would go about business as usual as long as they had a local food supply that could meet the needs of the community.

Ultimately once the shock of the collapse wears off, people start to work together again. Humans are social creatures by nature and will cooperate to survive, though this works best in small communities. Our natural instincts are not wired for living in cities with hundreds of thousands of people.

It seems we always need a leader to guide us, a police force to deter our evil ways, and a government to control us, lest we devolve into animalistic hunter gatherers.

In small tribes, (

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

Good,

so if everyone is this much against the government stealing our freedom, why is everyone watching it happen until It's too late to act??

Because none of us can deny that we aren't heading in that direction.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I don't know the answer to those questions and I've asked them myself many a time. Historically, the news has always been that way. I think the key difference between now and then is that, in the past, the press was confined to paper and the 6 o'clock news whereas today, the brutal horrors of humanity are available 24/7 with constant updates. Basically, Jack the Ripper got as much press back then as a killer does today. So in a sense, I think that it's perhaps always been a truth that what sells papers is the shocking. Ergo, the difference must be that we're just infinitely more well connected and have that 24/7 nature that magnifies it even more. Reality tv, on the other hand...it's a parade of mental and social freak shows that I sometimes think intends to make us feel better about ourselves. If we can revile, laugh at, or poke fun of these societal oddities, then gosh, aren't we great in comparison? I don't know but that's why I've come to rely on my neighbors most of all to gauge what humanity is like. I know they aren't spun.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I watched this thread for the first half of the posts and after reading the responses and the OP's rebuttles I have concluded~

Daz, what are you looking for exactly? Hence the dark rebuttles in regards to "Evil Nature" and where America is heading? It's a pretty negative demeanor. For some light in a dark room is still a light, yet you hold onto this innately "evil" nature like a teddy bear. Almost, as if it doesn't matter what light is put on this topic or aproach you continually circumvent a response from light to dark~

Human's have a fight or flight instinct, you corner a tiger expect a tiger to fight back. There is no difference, doesn't mean that all human's are innately evil, just that we'll protect our own when we have to.

Looking at the "Negative" threads that appear on these boards every day and listening to the Royally Negative MSM can bring down even the best hearted individual and make them think Evil thoughts, doesn't mean they go through with them nor does it constitute as someone's "True Nature". There are many Natures... I'll provide a example~

I can see Evil in a Lawful Neutral even though they follow the "Law to a T" they are still Neutral pending the circumstance but give the right chemical equation actions take by this type of charecter can be seen as "Evil".

Dr. House is a favorite of mine. Is he Evil? The Charecter itself goes from both wouldn't you say? Pending? Maybe a individuals responses to a given scenerio?

Can you see the "Good" in this charecter even if it's a twisted sense of Morality. Does it mean he's Evil?

Where are the lines? Are there any? Or is there good and evil that compliment each other in the most unobvious of ways? Then again to say that Human's all have a Innately Evil Nature means even the nice guy next to you could snap off any minute and go on a rampage... Does it mean he's Evil? Or did the world just push that individual to a bad place and "snapping" off was the easier of things to do than the "Good" thing?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I know, it just doesn't make sense why we would need negative Media to make us feel better about ourselves, so we can say to ourselves, "At least we have a better life than that poor so and so." Etc.

What does that tell us about ourselves, that we need to always feel better off than others?

I don't know, maybe I'm thinking into this too deeply.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

I suppose that there isn't any lines, morality seems to be a slippery scale that we are always running away from the dark side.

I suppose a good man is capable of evil given the right circumstances. Yes It's about choice and choosing to do the right thing which isn't necessarily the easiest thing, but it seems harder in most cases to do what's right over what's wrong.

If being evil is so easy, does that mean that we are predisposed to act more on that side of the morality scale?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
"The first duty of the Law is to prevent the shedding of innocent blood."

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by sulaw

I suppose a good man is capable of evil given the right circumstances. Yes It's about choice and choosing to do the right thing which isn't necessarily the easiest thing, but it seems harder in most cases to do what's right over what's wrong.

If being evil is so easy, does that mean that we are predisposed to act more on that side of the morality scale?

I've heard it stated before that when a Evil Individual(s) does something that's in there Nature it's "nothing" new... But when a good man performs a "Evil" act... That's when Knees start shaking and questions start being asked, why? Because he was a "Good" guy? Or becaues thinking of a individual doing that evil deed is just unthinkable? I'd get past the point of good and evil in other individuals, everyone is capable given the chemicals are mixed correctly, just a thought~

Choosing to act on the side of the Morality scale is a individual basis "only". You can teach Morales and Values and instill those traits in a person. Though again, given a "traumatic" experiance, good can go bad as fast as a flip of the coin, "Two-Face" from Batman a.k.a Harvey Dent is the perfect example of a Lawful Good with strong Morales and Values taking a immediate "about face".

I totally understand where your coming from DAZ, when individuals take a look around and "Really" see what's going on, it's easy to get the OP as the one you created. I would stress to never forget that there are those individuals out there in a sea of Evil still fighting the Good fight and will do so until the very end. Choosing for yourself on how you would react to those "Situations" is what matters most, can "You" be that light in a sea of Evil? Lead by example and be the Ball? It only takes 1 good light to be seen to cause others to re-think there situations, then the "turd" starts gaining speed and gurth downhill. Again, just a thought~

Lastly, what are the lines that distinguish "Good" and "Evil" as a Evil natured person might see themselves as doing something "Good" and vice versa?

These are some of the questions that keep my gears ticking~
edit on 8-8-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw

Lastly, what are the lines that distinguish "Good" and "Evil" as a Evil natured person might see themselves as doing something "Good" and vice versa?

These are some of the questions that keep my gears ticking~
edit on 8-8-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

Interesting question,

Personally, I believe it depends on the individual, for instance someone who acts in kindness, might have to do something majorly bad to feel evil, like hit someone in an accident, panic and run. Whereas another might only have to do something minor like shout at someone, to feel bad about themselves.

Here's where it gets complicated though. An evil person might only have to do a minor act of kindness, like smile at someone to feel they've done a good deed.

On the other hand, an evil person might do something horrific, and believe that they were doing good, for example Hitler, responsible for countless deaths, but did he believe he was doing evil? I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

So when your government collapses, who will you run to? The police who are now looking out for number one?

Who will come to your rescue if looters decide they want what you've got?

I'm not attacking you I'm just inquiring, when bad people aren't kept in check anymore, who will stop them on your behalf?

What makes you think they're stopping them on my behalf now? Lots of evil has happened to me personally, just as you describe, outright lawlessness and violence. Perhaps women tend to grasp this concept more than men.
Not trying to say men aren't aware; just that woman are frequently victims of violent crime, and just as frequently nothing is done about it.
Who will I run to? Why, I have no one to run to now. Me. That's who will protect me, or fail at it. But certainly, no one has protected me up to this point, and I've personally exerienced plenty of violence and lawlessness. And absolutely NO ONE has EVER stopped them on my behalf.
I'm thinking a Rueger, or a 9 mil. Glock, though the Rueger would fit in my hand better, being I am petite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join