It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone stole some money from me, got caught - forgive or have them repay???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I had a weird scenario go down a number of years ago. The short of it is this fellow stole some money from me. Then he disappeared off the face of the planet. After I while I kinda wrote it all off as a loss.

Now the guy has resurfaced and I have a judgement against him. I was told last night by another friend that all I have to do is call this one company and they'll handle all the collections of the funds from him.

So I feel like it's a catch 22. One part of me says "leave it alone, forgive, forget and move on". The other part of me is of the mind set that "I might be doing myself, him, and others he might steal from an injustice but not pursuing it. Like I've forgiven him but he should now have to pay it back." Like if he has no repercussions then there's nothing stopping him from hurting another person, and I feel that if I'm not the one standing up then the pattern might continue.

What are you're thoughts on this??? Should I just let it go? Or should I try and get repaid? And why do you think so?

edit on 8-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Forgive him for the crime AND collect your money.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
get the money, give it to the poor and stupid in the way of food and books
or maybe buy something nice
edit on 8-8-2013 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Thats what Id do if your still mates with the guy forgive him but get the money back too.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Forgive him after he pays you back

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Spartacus...you are part of the Karmic Wheel. His Karma is to pay you back, or nothing learned on his part.

Your forgiveness of his stealing from you, is part of your Karma. Let things be as they should. Best of luck in collecting your judgement against him. It may be exactly what both of you need, at this time.

Des

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'd say it depends on amount and circumstance. There are some debts I'd chase to and through death over the principle of it. Most? I'd forgive after time and simple never have a thing to do with the person again. If you went through all the issue of a court ordered judgment? I'd say it meant a whole lot to you at one time. Don't let him play the clock like it's a magic solution if it's important.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Forgive but don't excuse their behavior.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
forgive and forget .

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Go get em'. He is a theif and doesnt desirve to get away with it! Teach him a lesson, if you cant get the money, kick his ass.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
I had a weird scenario go down a number of years ago. The short of it is this fellow stole some money from me. Then he disappeared off the face of the planet. After I while I kinda wrote it all off as a loss.

Now the guy has resurfaced and I have a judgement against him. I was told last night by another friend that all I have to do is call this one company and they'll handle all the collections of the funds from him.

So I feel like it's a catch 22. One part of me says "leave it alone, forgive, forget and move on". The other part of me is of the mind set that "I might be doing myself, him, and others he might steal from an injustice but not pursuing it. Like I've forgiven him but he should now have to pay it back." Like if he has no repercussions then there's nothing stopping him from hurting another person, and I feel that if I'm not the one standing up then the pattern might continue.

What are you're thoughts on this??? Should I just let it go? Or should I try and get repaid? And why do you think so?

edit on 8-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

I think this is an opportunity for you to become an agent of Karma. You wouldn't be doing anything wrong by restoring balance to the force. And like you said, it won't be for selfish reasons. It's for the potential victims out there that you could be saving from having to make a decision like you're having to make now at least. So end the cycle and restore balance I say. The whole forgive and forget thing isn't helping anyone, not you, not him, and not the other victims.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I'm with wrabbit on this

I have a friend that owes me around £1000 from years ago (a loan not a theft)
I've written it off as our friendship is more important and he really needed it at the time

If I ever have to make a phone call at 2 A.M. and need some one there, he'd drop his life and knock on my door 2 hours later.

Money well spent

Cody

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
forgive and forget .

Even forget the amount? It's 25k???

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Okay first the guy is not a friend, nor was he ever.

And my challenge is this. I might be doing him an injustice by not collecting it. If I don't collect it then how will he ever learn? And of course he might learn some by just maybe now that he has a job he's getting back into normal path in life. But he certainly hasn't gone out of his way to reach me to pay me back. I'm sure he's hoping that he won't have to. So he's doing himself, me and likely others an injustice. But again part of me wonders if I should just forget the whole thing, but it's not a small amount. It's 25k dollars

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
Okay first the guy is not a friend, nor was he ever.

And my challenge is this. I might be doing him an injustice by not collecting it. If I don't collect it then how will he ever learn? And of course he might learn some by just maybe now that he has a job he's getting back into normal path in life. But he certainly hasn't gone out of his way to reach me to pay me back. I'm sure he's hoping that he won't have to. So he's doing himself, me and likely others an injustice. But again part of me wonders if I should just forget the whole thing, but it's not a small amount. It's 25k dollars

All this karma crap is so stupid. People need to learn from thier mistakes. Get that money back! The whole turn your cheek mentality just lets people walk all over you.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

25,000 dollars and he wasn't someone for personal friendship or family to have entered the picture? I'd pursue it as far as making sure his estate knows of my claim after he passed away eventually. Oh, I'd collect in that circumstance alright. You betcha!

Unless you're a George Soros Jr. or something, that amount HAD to hurt you too. Why should he skate and then show back up like all is dandy?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
COLLECT COLLECT COLLECT!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Get your money back, forgive, then forget.

Think karma (also, second line)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Forgive and forget him

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Encore

Well I've forgiven him. Like there's no hard feelings anymore. but I wouldn't mind getting that money back.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join