It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A long line of guns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Entertaining an idle mind.
If you had all the guns in the US, and put them in a line, how long would it be?
It depends on the type of line.

A line of tractor trailers.
310mill at an average weight of probably 5 pounds each.
That is 1.55billion pounds.
That is 775,000 tons.
At 20 tons load per trailer, that is 38,750 tractor trailers.
At a max combined length of 70 foot each, that is a line 2.7125 million feet long
That is a tractor trailer convoy parked nose to tail 514 miles long

If you put them in a rack, nose down, spaced 2 inches on center.
That would be a rack 51.7 million feet long.
That is….9785 miles long
Barrow Alaska to Rio Grande B. A
9653 miles. By air.
Considering that a lot of people consider the 310 million to be underestimated, there should be enough guns in the US to fill a continuous rack from barrow Alaska to Rio Grande down in Argentina via a land rout.

If you put them end to end…. Lets say the average length is 2 feet.
That is a continuous line of guns 117,424 miles long.
That is about half way from the earth to the moon.

At a weight of 775 thousand tons, that is almost the weight of eight fully loaded Nimitz class aircraft carriers.

Now lets talk about the bullets for those guns…. Then again…. Maybe not….

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Sounds pretty long when you put it that way...Bullets...all guns are just paper weights, clubs or boat anchors without them unless a bayonet is attached then they becomes a lousy spear.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Guns by the ton, nice! I could use a few more...

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
'They' say there are 14 billion bullets produced every year currently (DHS bought 450m in one batch recently so sounds about right fro the rest of the entire world and its wars, practice home defense etc). For say 50 years.

Add to that the world wars production which may have been a lot but far less personal weapons owned and fired id say we can keep the 14 billion a year figure right back to say 1900, add to that the bullets used in older guns during the US civil war etc

Id wager something like 1-2 trillion bullets*possibly more!* Lets take the max and say 2 trillion as i think that still sounds too few to me.

At an average length of 2inches: 9mm shorter than an inch, a machine gun/rifle bullet being about 2.5 inches, plus longer .50 cal bullets being 5.5 inches long (but less of them produced or consumed).

That is: 2trillion x 2 inches = 4trillion / 12 = 33.3m feet = 63,131 miles, or 1/6 the distance to the moon, just in a line of bullets

Guns being half way to the moon, and a 1/6, you get 2/3 of the way to the moon lining up all guns and bullets!

edit on 8-8-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Kind of off topic, I'm only relating to the 'line of' part so if this this is too off topic then please remove it

The thread reminded me of the stones needed to build the Pyramids in Egypt, the stones that were quarried were cut to a degree of accuracy of 1/1000 of an inch and would spread 2/3rds around the world, which is more stones than every British church. I find that mind boggling..Sorry if its off topic, I just thought Id add it

Also, the Japanese ran an experiment in the late 70's and failed terribly, they had over 100 men trying to move the stones with no luck and finally had to use modern vehicles to assist the move, using helicopters to put them into position etc. They also couldn't cut them to that accuracy neither.

I'v been writing a thread for this for about 3 week but never got round to finishing it, i'll probs do it later this month
unless somebody steals my idea haha

new topics

top topics

join