It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of gods

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by wildtimes

We can't wake up. Didn't you see the recent study that showed people who have faith do so because of mental illness? So there's nothing really that can be done, sorry.

It is hard to see or hear until the mind breaks. When it does one can glimpse behind the veil. Most get help to rebuild their mind but for some not all the horses and all the kings men cannot put humpty dumpty back together again.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Looks like there is a push to declare religious fundamentalism a mental disorder. That means soon your tax dollars will go to pay my bills. And we'll be pushing for all the agnostics and atheists to have to participate in sensitivity training on how to deal with our particular disorder.

www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Your link goes nowhere....
but I get your point. Still, I think you're "skirting" the issue....mental disorders ARE real, and "Addiction" of any kind, or a "coping mechanism" that is out of touch with reality, DO need to be addressed. Religious fundamentalism is, in my opinion, scary. Especially for the children being brought up through "Jesus Camps" or "Bible Boot Camps." Religions that teach that women (in skirts he he) are inferior, dirty, the cause of the downfall of man, and unworthy of respect or leadership roles are BACKWARD and misogynistic failures of community leadership.

MY OPINION. That's all. Still, if there IS a link found between organized religion and perpetual mental unease, it should be addressed. Cocaine wasn't always against the law. Opium was once freely available and prescribed. Many people died of laudanum and other addictive substances. Religions sometimes encourage people to "check out" of society, which makes them ineffective in dealing with real-world issues or true "mental health".
edit on 9-8-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yes, just realized that. It's because I'm on an Android. There is a new thread about declaring religious fundamentalism a "mental illness", I think it's in the CIR forum.

Well, they aren't pushing for it to be labeled an "addiction", but a mental illness. And even if an addiction that's still a disease.

And your comment about women isn't an issue with fundamentalism, it's an issue with Legalism. I'm a fundamentalist and reject that misogyny.
edit on 9-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Found it, thanks. link Someone said in that thread that it's an "addiction", too. And, addictions are SYMPTOMS of underlying distress. Fact. They destroy families, and make a person "unavailable" to those around him or her...
I used to teach workshops on the effects of addiction in the family.

Ex: the man is a gambler (pick your addiction), the wife or spouse is the enabler, and EVERY ONE of the kids plays a "role", and those roles can (and do) switch around....
scapegoat (black sheep)
hero (perfect child)
mascot (cheerleader)
clown (jester)
invisible child (sits quietly and unnoticed).

THAT is what dysfunctional families are like. And it is one of the ROOT causes of our social problems right now.
My "psychobabbly" opinion and education. The more we learn about the mind, the brain, genetic predispositions, and outcomes and behavior, the better off we'll be.

So - I know you're being a smart-alec, but really - there ARE dangerous things done in the name of some religions.
Do you think it should just be ignored?
edit on 9-8-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Yes, just realized that. It's because I'm on an Android. There is a new thread about declaring religious fundamentalism a "mental illness", I think it's in the CIR forum.

Here ya go:

Religious fundamentalism could soon be treated as mental illness

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

And your comment about women isn't an issue with fundamentalism, it's an issue with Legalism. I'm a fundamentalist and reject that misogyny

It certainly IS about fundamentalism in several major religions and other cultures. The Bible is RIFE with misogyny. You can 'label' it however you like, but denying it exists is inappropriate.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

And your comment about women isn't an issue with fundamentalism, it's an issue with Legalism. I'm a fundamentalist and reject that misogyny

It certainly IS about fundamentalism in several major religions and other cultures. The Bible is RIFE with misogyny. You can 'label' it however you like, but denying it exists is inappropriate.

I can't speak for other religions, only Christianity. I would agree if you were talking about Islamic fundamentalism, I'll grant you that. And it is a problem with Legalism, hat's people who follow the letter of the law not the spirit. An example would be people who say women cannot wear pants. The letter of the law is that women should appear like women and men should appear like men. The legalisfs arbitrarily define what those are without scriptural support. And the spirit of that is ignored which was women trying to dress and appear as men anden as women.

What I said is true, that's a problem with Legalism, not a belief in the fundamentals of the faith.
edit on 9-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Our God wasn't a chunk of stone like all those others were. He walked and talked and was executed as a criminal for blasphemy, because the man clearly thought he really was God. The jewish Talmud paints him as the insane bastard of a hair dressing whore that got himself crucified for telling lies that he was God. Come on...think about it.

You got this from a book of old fictional tales handed down by word of mouth - just like Horus, Rah, and all the other gods. Think about it.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Fanaticism will be found wherever you look for it. Certain paths may lean more heavily towards love or hate but, ultimately, it's up to the adherent to follow a path of good.
reply to post by Cuervo

You would be right, if the so-called religious were indeed following a path. What would the path of Jesus be? Wouldn't it be peace, love, non-violence, forgiveness...all the good things, right? Of course. But, where are the Christians right now? They're soldiers in the military around the world. They are greedy businessmen looking to squeeze every penny out of everyone. How many times in movies have we seen members of the mafia going to church every Sunday. Mafia - killers, drug dealers, leg breakers, and church-goers? When it comes to just your average Christian, they are most likely taking care of themselves and their families. Living one day at a time, fighting for jobs, and holding onto every penny they earn: to buy a house, to put their kids through college, to put food on the table, to pay for cable TV and internet, to buy a car, to buy their kids the best clothes.

And yet, every one of the people mentioned will swear they are following the path of Jesus. So, what good is Christianity if the 'believers' are doing the exact same things as atheists?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Fanaticism will be found wherever you look for it. Certain paths may lean more heavily towards love or hate but, ultimately, it's up to the adherent to follow a path of good.
reply to post by Cuervo

You would be right, if the so-called religious were indeed following a path. What would the path of Jesus be? Wouldn't it be peace, love, non-violence, forgiveness...all the good things, right? Of course. But, where are the Christians right now? They're soldiers in the military around the world. They are greedy businessmen looking to squeeze every penny out of everyone. How many times in movies have we seen members of the mafia going to church every Sunday. Mafia - killers, drug dealers, leg breakers, and church-goers? When it comes to just your average Christian, they are most likely taking care of themselves and their families. Living one day at a time, fighting for jobs, and holding onto every penny they earn: to buy a house, to put their kids through college, to put food on the table, to pay for cable TV and internet, to buy a car, to buy their kids the best clothes.

And yet, every one of the people mentioned will swear they are following the path of Jesus. So, what good is Christianity if the 'believers' are doing the exact same things as atheists?

Yeah, it is a neat little trick the typical western church did. They aligned themselves with political ideologies that run counter to Jesus and when a Christian does start behaving like their savior, they get accused of being a commie by their peers. Seriously, how they pulled that off, I'll never know but it's an amazing illusion.

But that brings me to the other point. There are many Christians who do follow their Jesus. They give generously and despise warfare. They are definitely the minority but so are Jews who like having Palestinian neighbors or Muslims who don't feel threatened by Israel. All three of the major facets of Abrahamic traditions do have genuinely decent people but, just like any organization of very committed people, they get co-opted by various interests. In fact, their whole belief structure sprang from the need to create a priest class to begin with that would help keep control over citizens. Monotheism can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

reply to post by GodIsRelative

Did you just compare believing in God to doing crack? That is incredible. Just imagine how many people would still be addicted to crack or alcohol or whatever if it weren't for their belief in a higher power. As far as what else you said goes, a real Christian wouldn't fly a plane into a building. A real Christian wouldn't let their neighbors starve to death just because they can't find a job. A real Christian wouldn't sacrifice their sense of compassion for profit. Should I go on?

God or crack; they're both addictions. In your statement, please replace 'real Christian' with decent human being'. Thanks.

Your argument is against religion. You're failing to accept the fact that most religious people ARE decent human beings. You're ignoring the evidence and twisting the situations to suit your opinion. You're just like Fox News and the WBC.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
The more we learn about the mind, the brain, genetic predispositions, and outcomes and behavior, the better off we'll be.

The mind is the deceiver. The mind does not know but wants to know. The mind asks questions that have no true answer. The mind is a problem solving device.
In this moment there are no problems but the mind will invent at least one so it has something to do. It then will take your attention from what is really happening. The mind is always concerned with 'what isn't happening'.
Open the eyes and the ears and see and hear what is real.

The mind wants to believe something because nothing is just too scary.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join