It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado voters will decide whether to issue drone-hunting licenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

The little Colorado town of Deer Trail will vote on declaring open season on government drones. Ordinance also awards a $100 bounty for each carcass.

The Deer Trail town board tied 3-3 in a Tuesday night meeting on the proposed ordinance, meaning it will go to voters in November.

Deer Trail has received international attention after officials announced last month they wanted to declare open season on government surveillance drones.

The Federal Aviation Administration warned it was illegal to destroy government property and that a wounded unmanned aerial vehicle shot out of the sky could crash land on people.

"We do not want drones in town," said Deer Trail resident Phillip Steel, who drafted the ordinance. "They fly in town, they get shot down."

Steel’s tongue was firmly in his cheek when he first drafted the measure, but his anti-spying sentiment soon caught on with residents and some officials in the enclave of about 550 people some 55 miles east of Denver.

That's pretty awesome and Colorado just gave me 1 more reason to seriously consider moving there! If I do move there I suppose Deer Trail is a place I should look into!

Pass or not, the federal gov't won't allow their drones to be shot down but then again they don't allow marijuana to be sold and used recreationally either

Perhaps, instead of shooting down a drone the good people of Deer Trail can follow Iran's lead and hack the drone and land it safely in a near by field?

edit on 7-8-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This has been posted several times, but the main thread is here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I did key word searches but go figure nothing came up. I was actually bummed it wasn't posted on ATS, or so I thought, since the original reports came out in mid July. Regardless, they voted last night which turned out to be a tie so its fairly new news.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Wow! Colorado just one-upped Washington State! They were tied before

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Wonder what the odds are of drones flying over this small town? A symbolic effort but the government will win and drones are here to stay.

The government has passed many things Americans have been against, why should this one be any different.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
the drone's aren't government property, if taxpayers paid for them....legally, they're taxpayer property....on that note....i think it's time we go claim some of the goodies we paid for, from the government....drones, fighter jets....surveillance equipment, super computers, etc.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I guess they don't realize how high the drones fly

good luck hitting one with your 30-06

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Wow! Colorado just one-upped Washington State! They were tied before

It's going to be the Seahawk's and the Bronco's in the Super Bowl.........mark my words.

But on topic, the safest alternative is to hack them and land them. If they can.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

It will be even harder, last time I seen something about the rules, you were only alowed to use a shotgun. I dont think the old tweleve gauge will have much effect way up in the clouds. But hey ya never know maybe one will come in for a low level run.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

While I am not in favour of either domestic spying or the domestic use of drones, this is ridiculous. Let's equate it with shooting at a squad car that happens to be driving by your house, and the cop "spies on you" by looking in your direction -- does that sound like a good idea?

Ban drones from your local airspace via an ordinance that addresses public safety, don't legalize shooting at aircraft because you think they might be spying on you.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
It's not equal to shooting at a police car with HUMAN LIVES in it....more like a spy halo camera. It does send a clear message, we're sick and tired and not gonna take it anymore. If no one does a damn thing, the government will take and take until we have no rights nor privacy left. I feel pround to call Colorado home right now.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
They don't even have the authority to do this, even if civilian weapons could hit a drone at 30,000-60,000 feet. Airspace over US soil and out to 200 miles at sea is under the jurisdiction of the FAA and controlled at a federal level (as it should be). State law can't override federal law, this entire bill is a waste of taxpayer money.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
First reading or the header for the post I thought it was about issuing licenses to use drones for hunting. then I thought that would be way cooler than sitting in a tree freezing waiting for a deer to come by. You could just sit infront of the PC and guide it with your joystick and shoot all the animals inseason you wanted.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hr2burn
It's not equal to shooting at a police car with HUMAN LIVES in it

That's not the point.

You're firing on a vehicle that law enforcement is using to do their jobs. Do you think that they will just say "Oh well, guess we shouldn't fly over that guy's house"? Or do you think they'll show up and arrest you for damaging "public" property, or maybe just shoot you?

new topics

top topics

join