It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 year Jail sentence!! ... Really?? What's the point?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Ariel Castro, the man who held three women captive in his home for 10 years, was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years Thursday.

Castro, 53, had pleaded guilty to 937 counts, including murder, rape, and kidnapping in a deal that let him avoid the death penalty.

Now don't get me wrong people... this dude should be locked away for the rest of his life or worse...

But seriously... What is the point in imposing a thousand year sentence?

Hell....... why not give him a million years!

Do they do this just to add to the dramatism of the sentence?

Clearly it means hes never getting out... but I mean really... Is he supposed to reincarnate to serve the rest of his term or what?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
They've just gone for a nice round number and who knows they could find a way of keeping people alive a lot longer such as in demolition man where you could be frozen or some other method where they could keep you alive while still ageing so you'd be over a 1000 years old but aching from every bone in your body in utter torment so you could do your time and then when released die

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
If you look at it by the number of charges, he got off easy.

937 counts that he plead guilty to, he only got an average of a little more than a year per charge. He really should have got 10,000 years in jail.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Pretty sure that a life sentence still makes criminals eligible for parole. That thousand years sentence means a convict will die in prison with no chance of parole.

This is where I believe in capital punishment. This man gets free room and board for the rest of his life. No matter what horrors he faces behind bars, we still pay for him being there. So, he wins. I say put him to death and be done with him.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
They've just gone for a nice round number and who knows they could find a way of keeping people alive a lot longer such as in demolition man where you could be frozen or some other method where they could keep you alive while still ageing so you'd be over a 1000 years old but aching from every bone in your body in utter torment so you could do your time and then when released die

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Of course I realise its based on his charges... but again... The man is already 50ish years old...

There should be a point where the judge says "look man, you're never getting out of jail, so lets cut it short"

OR

Why not add some interesting stipulations... Natural life, and a good kick in the junk once a day...

1000 year jail sentence is just silliness

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

a good kick in the junk once a day...

Now that would be fitting for the likes of him.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Why even jail him in the first place...?

So taxpayers can pay for his free ride in prison... I'd rather see a harsher penalty, but that's just me.

-SAP-

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by Akragon

Why even jail him in the first place...?

So taxpayers can pay for his free ride in prison... I'd rather see a harsher penalty, but that's just me.

-SAP-

Well ya...

There has to be a profit made somewhere in this trial...

How much does it cost to jail one person for a year again?

I seem to recall a number between fifty and one hundred thousand dollars... and obviously that money isn't for the "care" of the inmates...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

My point exactly... They want profit from a criminal that the American population pays for...

Pretty unfair and unjust if you ask me.

-SAP-

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
he will be out in 500 years if he behaves his self lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
he will be out in 500 years if he behaves his self lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Its to reflect the severity of the crimes, everyone knows he wont be in jail for that long, if someone murdered 10 people and got 100 years for each one, the families would see the individual conviction in the crime committed.

If they sentenced him to only 100 years would that mean he got off with the other murders then?

Do you know what I mean?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well now c'mon... The Judge is obviously just a believer in reincarnation and wants to cover all bases. The defendant is fully expected to report back through his parents in the next life to the nearest prison to pick up where he left off, after dying of old age in this one. I make that about 11 lifetimes worth. Harsh, huh?

(...and they wonder why so many don't take the system seriously, so often. )

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

So with 900 some odd convictions... that would mean he basically got a year per conviction...

Is that fair?

Like I said, why not just round it up to a few thousand years.... so everyone gets justice...

c'mon..... after 100 years its completely redundant...

Just state it bluntly... you're in prison for the rest of your life... then add some interesting stipulations...

Then again perhaps that violates "torture laws"....

edit on 7-8-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
And the monster will probably get Sky Sports or ESPN in his cell to. That's justice for ya...How many of you cant afford that?..Me included!!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Because each one is counted individually by law.

If they are going to round it up, what conviction should they dismiss then? one of the rapes?

"Just forget about that rape so we can round it off..."

You have to be be held accountable for all your crimes regardless if they add up to an odd number.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

A real harsh sentence wouldn't be a swift bullet but a life long working their butt off doing a crappy job for 12+ hours a day until they pop off...sometimes the cheaper option is the easier option for the prisoner and who wants to give them they easy way out when you can watch them breaking rocks etc for 12 hours a day knowing they're suffering

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Akragon you of all people don't see the significance? 1,000 years in prison...

Hmmm Interesting...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I think that the earlier response has it right. A life sentence is not always a life sentence. Most are eligible for parole at some point. The additional years are to ensure that he never goes before the parole board.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join