It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Thousands Flee Ivory Coast While Violent Uprising Continues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thousands of foreigners are beginning to be evacuated from the troubled African country. Reports of at least 64 dead and over 1000 wounded from violence of the past few days. The US, UK & France are trying to evacuate the thousands who are in danger as one rescued foreigner claimed that the Ivory Coast " "government is pushing to kill white people - not just the French, all white people." The stability of the entire African region is at risk if this situation is not resolved quickly.

newsfromrussia.com
After several days of anti-French mob violence, France and the US began one of the most largest evacuations of hundreds of French citizens and thousands of others from Ivory Coast.

French President Jacques Chirac sternly demanded that Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo's government rein in his thousands of hardline supporters, who brought Gbagbo to power in 2000 and now are leading the anti-French street violence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This crisis is seeming to spiral out of control, one immediate economic effect has risen from this turmoil, the Ivory Coast is a major cocoa producing country and the recent violence and instability has shot up cocoa futures 10%. In this case I hope the US/UK/France can work together to bring this crisis to a halt before this escalates to neighboring troubled countries in this region.

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.signonsandiego.com
www.alertnet.org
www.cbc.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: UPDATE: Ivory Coast Situation Deteriorating, French Forces Continue Fire Into Air To Disburse

SP:Edit

[edit on 11/10/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
As long as France is part of the "peacekeeping" force, i don't think much can be done about bringing peace to the Ivory coast.

Perhaps France should stand down and let another country/countries from the UN take over...and btw, I wasn't thinking about the U.S getting involved....

new topics

join