It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Birth of a Police State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
No, not the United States, or at least not yet.

This is dated July 27th 2013 and states that the UK government is about to pass legislation which will make any behavior perceived to potentially ’cause a nuisance or annoyance’ a criminal offence.

A Criminal Offense for being 'annoying'??

Since the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, which introduced Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs) the government has invented and legislated for a litany of such orders covering everything from dog poo to drug addiction, including but not limited to: Control Orders; Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures Orders; Intervention Orders; Crack House Closure Orders; Premise Closure Orders; Brothel Closure Orders; Gang Related Violence Injunctions; Designated Public Place Orders; Special Interim Management Orders; Gating Orders; Dog Control Orders; Letter Clearing Notices; Noise Abatement Orders; Graffiti/Defacement Removal Notices; Directions to Leave and Dispersal Orders.

The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Bill, which passed the committee stage of its progress through the House of Commons on Monday 15th July, purports to simplify this legacy of New Labour’s legislative promiscuity. In reality, it creates a series of wildly ambiguous, generic orders which grant officers of the state and private sector even greater powers to issue tougher sentences, with fewer checks and balances to protect citizens.

Being Annoying is Now Illegal

The orders, designed to allow police to tackle anti-social behavior, simply became a means of criminalizing youthful indiscretion – and eventually a means of criminalizing anything people found annoying.

The orders can be issued to anyone aged 10 or over and there is no limit on how long an IPNA can be applied to a person for. A person could receive an IPNA for 10 and retain it their entire life.

"Eating with our mouths open, talking too loudly into our phones in a public space, walking too slowly or quickly or belching without saying ‘pardon me’. All of this may very well cause annoyance – but soon it might well also be illegal."

The consequences of breaching an IPNA are serious. The breaching of an IPNA has been added to the conditions for securing possession of a home – meaning a 10 year old child breaching their IPNA could result in the entire family being evicted from their council house. Breaching the orders can also result in jail time for anyone over 14.

Wow....
Our prisons are already over flowing.
If this were in our country we'd run out of space to put all the offenders.

This is going a little over board with the Police State.

Just when you think we have it bad, it's not as bad as others have it, so it seems.
Although, we are slowly getting that way.

Our friends would be arrested for the phone charge.
My husband would be in trouble for walking slow, he kinda 'mosies' along, while my long legs want to haul azz.

edit on 7-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

This doesn't surprise me as I remember the police state that the Thatcher Government tried to set up , it seems to be a torry policy to incarcerate the poor .
Add to that their efforts to control the internet and the knowledge we've gained on their spying on us we already live in a prison .

I find most of the conservative front bench offensive and annoying , can we get them arrested

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Cant believe I haven't seen this in the news until now , and that this only has 5 flags and wasn't front page !

this is shocking , Im actually surprised I haven't been given one yet !

im surprised that wee Nicky Wishart didn't get one the other day for starting protest outside Camerons constituency office

sorry but if this is legal then I want independence for Scotland , the UK is a joke , fascist police state imminent

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ah yes after the ASBO thing didnt work the police wanted to enable more leeway for its use as they were being used to keep known offenders out of certain public zones, people who get in fights all the time cant go into the center of town etc.

I heard about this on the news and people are worried that it will be used against anyone for any reason that an officer decides they may cause trouble - this means banning homeless from city centers, buskers, even some one have an argument with their spose could be slapped with one and removed from the area.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I guess protesting this law also falls under it as well? Nice free country you have there...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Krakatoa
I guess protesting this law also falls under it as well? Nice free country you have there...

Well i guess you never walked through an empty town center late at night and have 15 hooded teenagers in your path. If theres alot of youth gang crime in the area they could be removed with this and while that shouldnt be a crime to do, it invites crime.

I cant wear a motorbike helmet in a bank and im ok with this, i dont think my freedom is being impacted.

top topics

join