It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Secession Talk Goes Mainstream

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It has been all over internet chat rooms and message boards since George W. Bush was re-elected as President, Secession. You may have seen the map, "United States of Canada" representing the States that Kerry won, and "Jesusland" representing the States that Bush Won. Some people are not taking it as a joke.

www.washingtontimes.com
The idea isn't just a joke; one top Democrat says, "The segment of the country that pays for the federal government is now being governed by the people who don't pay for the federal government."

"Some would say, 'Oh, poor Alabama. It's cut off from the wealth infusion that it gets from New York and California,' " said Lawrence O'Donnell, a veteran Democratic insider and now senior political analyst at MSNBC. "But the more this political condition goes on at the presidential level of the red and blue states, the more you're testing the inclination of the blue states to say, 'So what?' "

No one at the White House would comment on the calls for secession, but one top Republican official with ties to the Bush administration said the recent talk is not surprising, coming off an election in which the president received more than 59 million votes -- the most in history.

"If we were that far out of the mainstream, maybe we'd be pushing the creation of our own country," the official said. "Then we might have a chance of ever winning an election again."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What more of a way to divide the country. The country is as divided now than it has ever been. The 2000 election proved you can win the majority of the vote, but that does not automatically gain you a seat as President of the United States. In my opinion, if you take the last two election together, we are pretty much at a 50/50 split. How can over the course of five years make a country as The United States so divided? I personally do not have the answers, but I know secession is not the answer to the problems.

I believe it would create more problems than we, as a country, already have.

Related ATS Threads:
America should be divided into two nations.
Is it time for the Democrats to secede from the Union!!???

[edit on 10-11-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Clarification please:

Is that jeezus-land???

or

hay-soos-land???

I think the pronunciation is up for grabs right now too...

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If people can't accept the voting process and don't want to live here because of the president that was elected, I would love to see them leave. Take care and don't hurry back. Oh by they way, the states stay, the border is just north.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK
The 2000 election proved you can win the majority of the vote, but that does not automatically gain you a seat as President of the United States. In my opinion, if you take the last two election together, we are pretty much at a 50/50 split. How can over the course of five years make a country as The United States so divided? I personally do not have the answers, but I know secession is not the answer to the problems.

I believe it would create more problems than we, as a country, already have.

Way too many people think this is the first close election ever. Hogwash! There have also been cases, as in 2000, of the winner receiving less than the loser in total vote, though not electoral college vote. Unfortunately in this era of "I want it so I deserve it" people don't realize that life does not always go your way. Get over it and move on. I agree with you secession is not the answer, however I will help anyone pack up and leave if they feel that is better than staying and working on making the best country in the world even better.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Allan Hildebrandt]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
If people can't accept the voting process and don't want to live here because of the president that was elected, I would love to see them leave. Take care and don't hurry back. Oh by they way, the states stay, the border is just north.

"If I don't win, I'm not playing anymore!"

Like the rich kid, who is on the losing baseball team, he takes his balls and cries all the way home.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

How can over the course of five years make a country as The United States so divided?

Well, the media hasn't helped this out any. The average American (don't get all flamed up, because I too am an American) has an attention span of about 5 seconds. As long as the subject of our differences is kept in focus by the media, we are going to have more than the average amount of rabble rousers.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree that these who speak of secession sound like sore losers to me. Wanting to secede after losing two straight elections in a nation with a two term limit makes you look like a spoiled child. My candidate lost as well, but secession would only lead to the civil war that everyone keeps worrying about and a true collapse of the USA. I'm afraid that far too many Americans have lost touch with reality and don't truly understand what secession of even one state would cause here.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allan Hildebrandt
Way too many people think this is the first close election ever. Hogwash! There have also been cases, as in 2000, of the winner receiving less than the loser in total vote, though not electoral college vote.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Allan Hildebrandt]

I think the numbers that are playing into this is because most are a vote against Bush, not for Kerry. and I mentioned the 2000 election results above

I have not gone back and looked at every election, but I would think that the majority of the votes were for the candidate, not in spite of the other one.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The Yankees are succeeding?

and all it took was 8 years of Bush? Cheap at twice the price......LOL

Lets not make the same mistake they did.

Bye yall

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Bye yall

But if you bring back slavery, we're going to come back for another whooping!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Bring it on

just remember us and the west have all the silos now

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
Well, the media hasn't helped this out any. The average American (don't get all flamed up, because I too am an American) has an attention span of about 5 seconds.

Sorry I was distracted

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree that these who speak of secession sound like sore losers to me.

This is the Point, maybe not in these terms exactly, but The Citizens are the ones that are talking about it, not government officials, or even members of the Democratic Party. I honestly fear another four years of Bush. Thats my opinion, but I am not planning on leaving the country. I just do not agree with his agenda, maybe more attention should have been put on the Senate and House to have Some say in what will go on the next four years.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The entire approach is assuming what Fox News and other mainstream so called news networks say about the election is "true."

There are far fewer "red states," and you should not blame those people who actually cast their votes in the blue column. The actual vote is for Kerry, much as I don't like it. I would have liked to have seen Bush win fair and square, I would have liked it if they voted for anyone. They did not in fact vote for Bush, as you may note the exit poll inconsistencies.

Sucession is exactly what the NWO and the British have wanted, with the instigation of the Cival War, and up to this time with the Balkanization of the country through excessive immigration.

I am standing United, even under a phony election folks. Although it seems there is nothing anyone can do about it, we can do our proudest to make sure the next election is completely audited.

This sucession deal, looks like another news baloon for the NWO, divide and conquer as usual.

Odd

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Does the Left really think it could win a war? They don't even have guns!

I honestly believe that all of this talk of secession is not only stupid, not to mention treasonous, but it is one of the most ridiculously short-sighted things ever to come out of a party that has shown nothing but short-sightedness in the past few months.

Warn and/or flame me if you like, but it's true... and just because Bush sucks doesn't mean it's not treason

[edit on 11/10/2004 by Odd]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The United States is NOT divided. You don't know what division is. In Canada we had a referendum in 1995 concering the separation of Quebec, that the NO side won by only 1%.

I think many of you just aren't old enough to remember real divisions in the US. I remember the late 60s. The Viet Nam war at its height. Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King both assassinated in 1968. Riots in LA, New York, Chicago and many other places. I was a young man in Toronto; I had friends from Windsor who would say "Come down to Windsor for the weekend; we'll go down to the river and watch Detroit burning!". Does anyone else remember the machine gun nest set up on the steps of the Capitol in Washington by the Army to protect it?

So a few hotheads went out in the street and somebody broke a window. Big deal. Consider yourself fortunate to live in a country where you can argue for months about who is to lead it, and have it settled peaceably by a vote. That's what it means to govern by the consent of the governed.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Bye yall
We'll be sure to send some northern aggression your way Amuk!!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The country is as divided now than it has ever been.

I guess you youngsters don't remember the 1860s. Ah, those were the days! We used to line up in rows and shoot at each other all the livelong day.

When we start doing that again, then I might believe we are more divided than ever.

Until that happens, today's secessionists are nothing but a bunch of pathetic wannabes.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I guess nobody but me remembers the 1770s. We used to tar and feather our disagreeable neighbours and drove a good bunch of them up to Canada. Actually took our liege-lord's favourite beverage and dumped it into Boston Harbour, if you can believe that! It ended rather badly, though. Wound up being beholden to the French, who helped us out quite a lot.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
once again you missed the boat...this is beyond dem and rep....it's the whole system dummy....the AMERICAN population as A.D.D. in a bad way....just give me my 25 second sound byte and no, i don't want to look any deeper than the surface. this is wayyy beyond political lines....like kerry would do something different...he would walk his party line and the line of party line of the true almighty..money. the system is now being used to subvert the checks and balances of the old system in order to bring in the new system.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall
grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it,
or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it. " - Abraham Lincoln

the 'people' will never be able to do the above...control is not in your hands..it hasn't been there for a while.
the UNITED STATES of AMERICA is becoming a totalitiarian republic...and for those who don't care or don't know.....

totalitarian : Designating a form of government in which one party exercises absolute control
over all spheres of human life and opposition is outlawed.

republic: a country governed by the elected representatives of its people.

what a tangeled web you weave........................

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wake up guys, we don't have a clue who voted for who. We can't recount the votes, hell we can't even scrutinize the software they use to count the votes. We can't turn this into a geopolitical issue. This isn't about who is where, this is about industrialism, not idealism. As far as this whole north vs south thing is concerned, don't believe the hype. Red and blue squares on a map is one thing, but ask yourself who drew those squares. The truth is we don't have a clue, and sadly we may never know what the real count was. See The Diebold Factor thread for more information.
Oh yeah, and the American Civil War had very little if anything to do with slavery, slavery was an issue, but certainly was not a cause.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Don't blame me, I voted for Peroutka (Constitution Party)!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join