It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning to get food from nature I think is critically important....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I was listening to the radio. The guest was talking about some of the items he finds in forests and nature and eats. The funny thing is this. He made me realize something. Learning how to get some of these items from nature would be extra helpful in improving our health right now. The abilitiy to learn how to use it as a survival skill and or save money on groceries is an after thought.

Learning to get food from nature I think is critically important. Because much of what we get from the supermarket is really crap. Unless you go to one of those whole food places. Those aren't too bad. But even better if you could figure out some items to eat out of the forest. I think that would be a good idea. Like I was thinking of going out tomorrow and collecting a bunch of dandilions and making a salad out of them. Suppose to be super good for you. But of course if you try this, thoroughly wash them, as there's that risk that they might have been sprayed by someone trying to get rid of them. So you have to be careful. But I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

The other things he mentioned which are even beyond superfoods are stuff like: Oil of oregano, chaga, pumpkin seed extract and some kind of birch tree extract. Just to name a few.

Like I just find that my diet is so toxic that I'm gonna be dead in ten years if I keep going this way. I have like less than half the energy I did 10 years ago. I think it's mostly cuz I haven't been working out as much as I use to and eating just crap. I figure what I got to do is get rid of everything in my pantry and fridge and start filling it with actually healthy stuff.

But I was looking at this one youtube video of a guy who had lost like 40 lbs. Was super lean and fit. And what he did is he jogged but he also only ate 1000 calories of food each day. So i was thinking about it and my point is if you could figure out all the things that you could eat out of the forest, well you could most likely come up with that 1000 calories.

The reason I think that's pretty cool is when you think about it, you really could learn to live off the land. My main realization is I can't dic around with this anymore. I'm almost 39 and I'm serious at the rate I'm going I have to make some seriously healthy changes. I don't know what are your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I think you are rebelling against the system too much. Why throw out agriculture? Why not just do your own farming?

I do like the notion of knowing what all is out there, but not to the extent you're thinking.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Congratulations on your realization of the necessity of getting back to a natural diet.

Eat the Weeds has a You Tube channel which I have found to be quite informational in regards to edibles one would find growing around us. Most of what western society (monsanto, dow, in general has called weeds is actually edible (go figure.)
Anyway, good luck in your venture tomorrow. I'm signing off for the night, but will check back in tomorrow as you regale us with tales of your hunt.

edit on 7-8-2013 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'm ok eating snakes, frogs, bugs, etc. if I have to, but until then, I'll gladly chow down on a steak.

Personally, I'm planning on getting my hunting and fishing license, and trying to do more of that to hone those skills. As a kid I did both, but not since my pre-teen years, so been a while. And back then, I didn't do much to prep the meat, etc. afterwards, so I need to learn those processes.
edit on 8-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join