It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labeling of GMOs is a Dumb Idea

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'd prefer you be straight with me, if you don't mind. Games like that are so infantile.
My apologies.
I understand that sarcasm does not sometimes come across clearly in this medium but I thought that my posting habits would have been a bit better known and my intent would have been obvious. I presumed too much. I don't consider sarcasm to necessarily infantile but perhaps that would be in the eye of the beholder

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Bone75

Which is exactly why they're not ALLOWED to do so.
Actually, no. That is not why they are not allowed to do so. It is because it is impossible to verify that a product is completely free of GMO materials. See this post:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The EU acknowledges this with their revised requirements.
edit on 8/7/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

That's bullcrap and you know it. By the way, where is Phage and what have you done with him? My guess is that he's in a shallow grave in the desert somewhere and you have been assigned the task of maintaining his account, wouldn't want to see such a following go to waste now would we?

There is a stigma attached to GMO foods and THAT is why GMO-FREE labels are not allowed. Monsanto wouldn't be the powerhouse it is today if those labels were allowed.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You know what, Phage is right, after all.

I mean, it's just too difficult to make the change, so just stop bothering to try. It's what we do in America. We give up easily when the going gets tough. If it's not easy, don't do it, even if it may end up causing our children to die young, or grow tumors....whatever, it's still difficult, so stop trying.

For that matter, we should welcome NSA surveillance programs, because, it's just too hard for them to find bad guys any other way. Open your networks, give the NSA your passwords... make it EASIER for them, not HARDER.

Pointless thread

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by R3V3L4710N5

I mean, it's just too difficult to make the change, so just stop bothering to try.
There is change that is worthwhile and there is change that is pointless. Mandatory labeling would fall more into the latter category. Voluntary labeling would fall more into the former.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

That's bullcrap and you know it.
What is bullcrap exactly?

By the way, where is Phage and what have you done with him? My guess is that he's in a shallow grave in the desert somewhere and you have been assigned the task of maintaining his account, wouldn't want to see such a following go to waste now would we?
I'm alive, well, and right here. But I'm not the topic, am I?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
To me your argument is mute.....I care about me, the people and my quality of life = Nuff Said.. Labe what I eat, Period!! You can not place a price tag on the QOL....

to He(( with leaglities....Nothing to see here, Move on And...Grown your own and purchase local produce that you know what's in it...

reply to post by Phage

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

It is an interesting topic to tease out - Wayyyy to many people have missed the point of the thread after seeing that particularly emotive acronym.

Not many people understand that the point is not the dangers of GMOs. Not many people understand that I am not against labeling. Not many people understand the point at all.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

The vast majority of products are going to have the GMO label on them. And most of them will still have GMOs in them but you really don't know if they do or not.

i have no idea what the hell you just said.....

i'm saying companies should be keeping track of their supply chain.....i'm saying they should be able to find out the answer to the question...

i mean, jesus, how goddamn sloppy is it to make a food product, and not be able to tell the people you expect to buy it, what the f**k is in it?

that's some seriously brain dead nonsense right there...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I mean, it's just too difficult to make the change, so just stop bothering to try.
There is change that is worthwhile and there is change that is pointless. Mandatory labeling would fall more into the latter category. Voluntary labeling would fall more into the former.

right, because companies are going to tell us that their product has GMO in it, so that we can decide to not buy it.....yeah, sure, i TOTALLY believe that....

the only way to ensure labeling, is to make it mandatory

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

reply to post by UmbraSumus

It is an interesting topic to tease out - Wayyyy to many people have missed the point of the thread after seeing that particularly emotive acronym.

Not many people understand that the point is not the dangers of GMOs. Not many people understand that I am not against labeling. Not many people understand the point at all.

then exactly what is the point of this thread?

the goddamn TITLE says "labeling of GMOs is a dumb idea" ...so what is the point?

the title would suggest that you are against labeling, and the danger question still comes into play, because it is still the entire reason the debate exists in the first place.....

so, i mean, was the point of the thread that you're having a nervous breakdown, and need a hug? .....because lemme tell ya', that would make about as much sense as this thread does right about now....

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

All of these measures would add expense and as we know, added expense is always passed on to the consumer.

it would be no different than a product with a label that says "processed in a facility that also processes nuts" for allergy warnings.

the cost of labeling wouldn't be high, but the loss of revenue would. that is the true reason monsanto and others don't want GMO's labeled. people would avoid them.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I think the growers know exactly what they re putting in the ground.. what seed with what modifications. It is their business.

once it sold and then distributed... that is where the problem is.

considering they already make low fat, reduced fat, NO fat , low salt and other various products.. whether they really are or not achieving their goal in those endeavors..it is possible for them to do the GMO, non gmo and some gmo labelings.

I am pretty sure they will pass the costs on to the consumer.. which isn't really a concern to them as they would pass costs on to the consumer if they wanted to pad their bonuses a bit more that year. If you require them to label gmo then at least you can feel that you are at least getting something for the added cost of food.

As of now it just keeps going up and I am thinking what I am getting out of it.. GMO provides better crop yeilds but my prices keep going up anyways.

Now if we want to split hairs and talk about whether or not they will do an accurate job on the GMO non gmo labeling.

Is fat free really fat free?? I have eaten stuff that says it is fat free and i still get fat hahahahahah

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Oh, no, it wouldn't, not by a shill attempting to make a bit of a threat against someone who you have NO POWER against.

and there it is folks. Just like my new sig predicted.

so thats what this is all about? feeding your ego?

you start a thread contradicting yourself & ramble on & on about nonsense until someone breaks the s word rule..

and then this gem right here..

I thought that my posting habits would have been a bit better known and my intent would have been obvious.

regardless..

Labeling of GMOs is a Dumb Idea/The consumer has a right to know what they are eating. Absolutely! No way to argue that.

I have seen you shoot people's threads down for less and you shot your own down in record time.

mods should close this thread, its cyber GMO troll food.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Bone75

That's bullcrap and you know it.
What is bullcrap exactly?

First, the FDA's insistence of using the term "bioengineered" instead of "Genetically Modified Organism". Here is their reason...

The term "GMO free" may be misleading on most foods, because most foods do not contain organisms (seeds and foods like yogurt that contain microorganisms are exceptions). It would likely be misleading to suggest that a food that ordinarily would not contain entire "organisms" is "organism free."

Do they really think we are that stupid? They are saying that most foods don't "contain" organisms. Reality check folks, most foods ARE organisms. GMO milk doesn't contain genetically modified organisms, it is produced by a genetically modified organism. GMO corn doesn't contain genetically modified organisms, it IS a genetically modified organism. So if anyone is being misleading, it is the FDA itself.

I could rip their entire guidelines concerning GMOs to shreds if I wanted to, and I probably will tomorrow, but for now I'm just going to point out what I believe to be their main reason for not allowing GMO-FREE labels. This is where the lobbying comes into play...

A statement that a food was not bioengineered or does not contain bioengineered ingredients may be misleading if it implies that the labeled food is superior to foods that are not so labeled. FDA has concluded that the use or absence of use of bioengineering in the production of a food or ingredient does not, in and of itself, mean that there is a material difference in the food. Therefore, a label statement that expresses or implies that a food is superior (e.g., safer or of higher quality) because it is not bioengineered would be misleading. The agency will evaluate the entire label and labeling in determining whether a label statement is in a context that implies that the food is superior.

FDA source

In other words, it wouldn't be fair to poor little Monsanto to imply that non-GMO foods are safer or superior to GMO foods, when in fact they ARE.

edit on 7-8-2013 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Eating something you don't know is a dumb idea.
Making food available to the masses without proper independent tests has been a dumb idea.
For big companies to be forking out a fortune to shoot down propositions for mandatory labeling instead was really truly a dumb idea.
Suggesting small farms/food producers to voluntarily label "No GMO" on their food products is also a dumb idea.

Your argument is based on the additional cost factor due to the extra work that food manufacturers have to go through to start the process of labeling. First of all, food manufacturers are already required to list ingredients on their food packaging's. It maybe complex to start, but once the system of GMO labeling is also in place, cost and logistics should not be an issue.

Seriously, for now, it is absolutely dumb risking your health and your loved ones over a few meager cents extra on food labels. If you disagree, then you are right...labeling is a dumb idea. Most people think risking your health, not knowing what you eat is a much dumber idea. I guess we are all Dumbs and Dumbers.

I wonder who the smart ones are ...

edit on 7-8-2013 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I am tired on the endless GMO hatred on these boards.

ENDLESS

Because as everyone 'knows' those evil corporations 'Mostano' IE just want to kill people, and do other evil things.

Here's a thought instead of making a evil corporation cater to your every neurosis grow your own food.

Rather simple solution to what is an obvious political machination.

Non GMO food is already labeled as 'Organic'..

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurius
Suggesting small farms/food producers to voluntarily label "No GMO" on their food products is also a dumb idea.

edit on 7-8-2013 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

Why is that a dumb idea? that is actually a great idea. We can call these businesses frequently and ask them if there is GMO in their products and when they say no then ask "Well how do I know which ones don't have GMO?...Do you use a label?"

If they already know they don't use GMO, then this is actually a new way to market their products like "cholesterol free"

Since Monanto is not playing fair ball, then we can attempt to boycott them on the reverse.... by encouraging those who don't use GMO and perhaps do not use it because they don't WANT to use it... to market the fact that they don't use it.

Yeah, that would be a lot of products... but it's just print on a label if they already know they don't use them.... and it would catch on. YES... trust me, it would catch on. they would probably even start using it in food commercial, if they got feedback from the consumers that it was a concern to them.

Instead of just complaining about it, we could print up a bunch of letters, make some phone calls and start finding out who is using it and who is not... if the person on the phone will tell us the truth and if it's the truth, surely they could flaunt a label assuring it.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
this reminds me so much of the
the no msg and no added msg days
some argue it was harmful
some argue it was safe

(FDA) concluded that MSG is safe when "eaten at customary levels" and although there seems to be a subgroup of apparently healthy individuals that respond with the MSG symptom complex when exposed to 3 g of MSG in the absence of food,

---------------------
form a wiki about msg for those that dont know about it

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is one of several forms of glutamic acid found in foods,
Since 1998, MSG cannot be included in the term "spices and flavorings".
However, the term "natural flavor" is used by the food industry when using glutamic acid (which is similar to MSG, lacking only the sodium ion). The FDA does not require disclosure of the specific components and amounts used in "natural flavor."

The FDA considers labels such as "No MSG" or "No Added MSG" to be misleading if the food contains ingredients that are sources of free glutamate, such as hydrolyzed protein. In 1993, the FDA proposed adding the phrase "contains glutamate" to the common or usual names of certain protein hydrolysates that contain substantial amounts of glutamate.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Been pondering your logical assertions since I read them hours ago . . .

I suppose we could stop the blather of labeling

the REGRESSIVES "Progressives," too.

And the Dems Dems instead of Commie wolves in Dem's clothing in league with the GOP brazenly stalking about in their own arrogance.

You certainly make a logical case for not bothering to label GMO . . .

however . . . IF

and this would never happen so we end up back at your bottom line . . . but

IF there were labeling with teeth in the laws about labeling . . . such that the big wigs in such corporations did hard time for violating the criteria and standards . . . it might be workable.

However, given the 'good' ole boys mutual back scratching power-mongering society . . . would never happen.

Still . . . I kind of like the idea of wholesale GMO foods being labeled as such . . . with guerrilla researchers outing those who falsely labeled or avoided labeling in outrageous ways.

Maybe it's irrational.

However, the whole society, culture and era have fallen down the very irrational rabbit hole . . . what's one more bit of convoluted irrationality?

LOL.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I am tired on the endless GMO hatred on these boards.

ENDLESS

Because as everyone 'knows' those evil corporations 'Mostano' IE just want to kill people, and do other evil things.

Here's a thought instead of making a evil corporation cater to your every neurosis grow your own food.

Rather simple solution to what is an obvious political machination.

Non GMO food is already labeled as 'Organic'..

That's not true because there are other things that can disqualify something as being organic, not just GMO... and the organic market is rather small in a grocery store. Busy consumers need more choices than just the small organic product list.

There are probably loads of foods that do not have GMO that can't be called organic. Just because someone might eat something processed doesn't mean they want to support GMO.

I'm not really concerned about the health effects from GMO because I already feel like crap and am not afraid to die. I don't like being sick but if I can't do things like boycott Monsanto, then what is there to look forward to? As much of a hard time as I have been given, I have to satisfy my urges to give someone a hard time who damn well deserves.

Monsanto made agent orange. Monsanto made many harmful chemicals and is a government favored company. It is too big, it is too powerful. Instead of using that power to make themselves an even bigger more powerful company by completely disregarding life on planet Earth by continuing to produce some of the most harmful crap without conscience, they need to do something more useful with their clout... perhaps like they did when they mass produced LEDs, which is not a bad thing as far as I'm aware because it uses less power.

But this insistence... combined with their history of ignoring what is harmful to people...??? I want to boycott them simply for who they are... and I should have the right to do that, just like if the food I buy funds something I don't support that has absolutely nothing to do with food (cough *hummus* cough) then I have the right to know that crap.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join