It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good idea, a civilisation package.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think it would be a great idea for the government to create a civilisation package that details everything u would need to know in order to rebuild society as we currently know it in case of disaster (comet impact nuke war etc). It would include information about all the sciences, industrial machinery and manufacturing methods, where and how to aquire raw materials, farming and agriculture, medical practices and virtually everything that is useful in rebuilding society. It could be downloaded via the net and burned to cd or dvd and also just sent out to the population in any media format books etc, i imagine it would have to be about 500gigs of data but in 10 years that will be nothing to a hard drive. I know u are thinking that computers would be destroyed by such an event but just getting the info out in the first place is necessary in my eyes as people will read it and it could be available on paper too.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So what does this have to do with the NWO conspiracy?

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree with Indigo Child.

But regardless, what you say is interesting. You would have to have various formats to store the data on, something simple but sturdy, and something that were more "high tech", but still accessible.

Then there's the question of how would you ensure that the info could be read and understood by the persons who found it? It could be a long time before they found it. They might not be familiar with your civilization at all.

The solution would be what? A sort of 'Rosetta Stone'? Maybe.

Or a Primer. It would have to be semi sophisticated, but if you could use math as a universal language, showing equal to (a positive) and not equal to (a negative) that would go a long way to them understanding you.

Hmm, I wonder what would be the clearest way to explain this to others who knew not of your civilization.

It also begs the question of if such a compendium of knowledge would be harmful to another civilization, post cataclysmic that couldn't fathom all that you share. Would you encode it in some manner that would require a further knowledge of math to "unlock" the next segment? Indeed that's a big question to answer....

Maybe something like that has happened before, and we don't know or understand it yet?

Real interesting. Probably would be better served in Website Related Discussion forum[EDIT: or Education & Media, as a mod saw fit
], just so more would look it over.

Interesting though, thanks for giving me something to ponder on.

X

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Xatnys]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ufo3 for Prime Minister! Excellent, far-sighted idea. Civilization is more fragile than we like to think. And it doesn't have to be useful in a collapse of civilization - could be useful after a national disaster.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
ok build a giant book statue out of steel, then build a shaft going down a mile and have a learning lesson plan down in the shaft, so if the end of the world came when you find the steel book you can go down the shaft and learn how to rebuild the world.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I had an idea similar to this once which involved tests as well.
Foe example imagne a mountain with two huge stone doors and primitve booby traps which led to a chamber filled with the basics IE fire language, simple machines like levers and pulles etc.
The second door would require using a combination of levers and pulles to open. Say a very heavy door with a very small room in front so you couldnt just pack 20-30 oxen in to open it.
The second chamber would have steam technology described as well as basic static technology and the door would be opend by using it to provide an electric current which would open the door.
The third chamber would have primers on the internal combustion engine, computers advaced electronics.
the fourth physics etc.
In that way you wouldnt have a cave man wander in and accidentally trigger a nuclear bomb.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   
There is already such a plan and location in place here in the US. Remember the movie "Postman"? Seriously, there is such a plan and locations in place. One is near Kansas City. There is a second in West Virginia and a Third in a still "secrect" location. Kansas City location is too close to the New Madid fault. West Virginia is for the DC morons. The third is MINE all MINE.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I was envisioning present day humans who already have a basic knowledge of technology and modern day life in general using the information. That of course is assuming that at least some humans survive in a cataclysmic event but i suppose anything with basic cognitive skills could eventually use such data.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I have seen a nice documentary about that. Germany has two bunkers storing it's cultural identity. Unfortunately almost none of these Archives contain enough information to recreate scientific knowledge on a scale as we have it.
And lots of archives switch to Computers to store their data. A very dumb idea. It is already impossible today to read Files the GDR Government has stored on proprietary computer systems 15 years ago.

They presented an Organisation however called "The Long Now Foundation" that tries to build a time capsule with all the valuable information needed to restore or recreate today's world on optical disk that can be read with Magnification glasses and microscopes. (They contain a human readable Manual)

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
What about the capsule that we sent flying into space a few decades ago. Wasnt that Civilisation 101 for any one out there?

[edit on 11/11/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xatnys
Maybe something like that has happened before, and we don't know or understand it yet?

It very well may. Appropriate to your present Avatar of Homer in a Helmet, I remind you of Oannes, Babelfish of the Sea, alien, timetraveller, or survivor from a nuclear sub of the past.

I think the last Civilization did this, buried the DVD's under the Great Pyramid, and some Bedouin used them for bellydance ornaments before they got thrown in the fire. Large rocks with Universal Truths encoded do have the advantage as backup systems of surviving time, the elements, and looters.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Chakotay]

new topics

top topics

join